RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Happy (?) Birthday Amtrak!

Author Topic: Happy (?) Birthday Amtrak!
TheBriz09
Member # 3166

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheBriz09     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's right, on May 1, 1971, Amtrak officially began operations. Assuming I can add correctly, that means that Amtrak is 34 years old today.

I was trying to think of something that people could reply to, and I really couldn't think of too much. So, let's say, what's your favorite Amtrak memory? Whether it be a particular route (or segment thereof), a particular trip, or something else. Sorry if this question was already done before, but it might be fun.

So I will kick it off and proclaim my favorite Amtrak memory to be my trip from Chicago to Emeryville on the California Zephyr last summer, which was my first (and only, so far) cross-country train trip by myself. And it was just a perfect trip. The crew was wonderful, I met some great people, and it was just a spectacular journey. I would love to take another trip over Donner Pass someday, that was just stunning.

Posts: 93 | From: Batavia, IL | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Capltd29
Member # 3292

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Capltd29   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my favorite memory has occured many more times than once, I love the feeling of lying in a warm sleeping car berth as the train races across the countryside passing cold people and cars. Then you wake up in the morning and you are in a totally different type of scenery(Mountains to Plains, etc.

I also like eating a good meal over a sunrise in the dining car,

HAPPY BIRTHDAY AMTRAK!!!!
TO MANY MORE MEMORIES!!!!

Jon Parker

Posts: 143 | From: Richmond, VA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great thread and Happy Birthday Amtrak!

I have lots of favorite Amtrak memories but I can narrow them down to two.

1) My first trip in a Superliner sleeping car room in May 1984 from Chicago to Denver. It was the first time I had ever been 'out west' also. I can remember the relative 'newness' of the equipment, the scenic wonder of seeing Iowa for the first time (I expected it to be flatter), and the thrill of catching the first glimpse of the rockies the following morning.

2) An Ashland, KY - Clifton Forge, VA trip with my wife on the still-Superliner 'Cardinal' four or five years ago. It was the day after Thanksgiving and we had the entire railroad to ourselves. Few passengers and fewer freight trains. We were early at every station. Outside it was snowing which made West Virginia so much more mystical.......particularly from the warmth of the sightseer lounge. The diner even had extra chicken pot pies once the lunch service ended so the steward came through and offered them to passengers in the lounge car. Just an unexpectedly pleasant and uncomplicated day riding the rails.

I hope that this is the first of many May Day Amtrak memory posts.......and not just the beginning of a eulogy!

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Happy birthday Amtrak, hopefully it will have many, many more!

Anton

Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vline
Member # 1132

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for vline     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My favourite memory of Amtrak was in 1996 after already having travelled over 10,000 miles on Amtrak over a few weeks on my first visit to America. I was travelling alone and hadn't heard another Australian voice for several weeks I joined the west bound 'Pioneer' at Borie WY, and settling into my Economy bedroom for the journey to Seattle WA, I heard the familiar twang of an Aussie accent echoing along the corridor. I had inadvertantly joined an Aussie family heading to Portland OR who were also travelling on their first holiday in America & using Amtrak as their means of doing so. Mike in Australia.

Happy Birthday Amtrak & may there be many more.

Posts: 60 | From: Ballan, Victoria, Australia | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page