RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Lake Shore Limited on time??

Author Topic: Lake Shore Limited on time??
BigRedEO
Member # 3871

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for BigRedEO     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've taken the Lake Shore Limited several times between Cleveland and Chicago and vice versa over the past several years. Next week, I am taking it from Cleveland to NYC for the first time. Does anyone know of any major delays recently? I always keep in mind that most of their trains are late - and being late by 2 or 3 hours wouldn't bother me, but has anyone heard of it being ridiculously late? Also, I have heard that they no longer serve lunch eastbound? Anyone know anything about that?

Thanks!

Posts: 1 | From: Cleveland, OH | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A positive non-technical piece on a Lake Shore trip appeared yesterday in the New York times Travel section:

http://travel2.nytimes.com/2005/09/04/travel/04rails.html

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D. David
Member # 4055

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for D. David     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Went on it in two horrendous directions. LOL

I posted about it lower down in the forum "are All Eastern Trains that Bad?" where both ways I had 5-6 hours for chicago and each time we were late by 3-6 hours depending on the direction. First was a collision earlier in the day so we yielded to every freight train and ran about 20 mph through an hour of indiana. on the way back to NYC a lot of yielding again after cleveland (we were good before that)

LOL great article. I had my own adjectives about Gary Indiana, which is such an unreal place to pass on a foggy day. The cafe car guy - I think I know him. [Roll Eyes]

Everyone here says take a NW corridor to DC and catch the Capitol. I'll be trying that next year

Posts: 64 | From: NYC (NYP) | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On my recent western trip, I took NE regional trains to NYC and DC and then the Capitol Ltd to Chicago heading west and the Lakeshore Ltd via Albany heading east. Both turned out to be excellent decisions on those particular days. The Capitol Ltd was a little over 2 hours late into Chicago and my Lakeshore Ltd was only 20 minutes late getting into Albany (yes, a small miracle).
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Meant to add this in editing but somehow screwed up:

We had lunch; however, not everyone knew to go in for it early, and they did only one early seating and stopped serving in Schenectady, so you had to go early if you wanted to get it. They also ran out of desserts (the delicious chocolate pyramid!)

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like they say during all those TV ads for Mutual Funds and other investment schemes:

"Past and current performance is no indication of future performance."

In other words, you won't know until you get there.

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D. David
Member # 4055

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for D. David     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sojourner:
Mine was just 20 minutes late a few weeks ago. We had lunch; however, not everyone knew to go in for it early, and they did only one early seating and stopped serving in Schenectady, so you had to go early if you wanted to get it. They also ran out of desserts (the delicious chocolate pyramid!)

You're very lucky. I was the third person in the dining car and made to wait till the room was full before orders were taken, and an HOUR before I got my food.
Posts: 64 | From: NYC (NYP) | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page