RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Can you add accomodations to Rail Sale fares?

Author Topic: Can you add accomodations to Rail Sale fares?
mary_228
Member # 3826

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mary_228   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd love to get to NY cheaply on a Rail Sale fare (currently $123 each way for me and my two young kids CHI-NY) but know I would enjoy the trip more if we could get a sleeper or roommette. Has anyone done this? One agent told me I couldn't do it and the other said I could? Of course, I have to purchase the Rail Sale online first.

Always looking for a bargain!

Posts: 72 | From: Illinois | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At one time, Sleeper accomodations, if available, could be purchased on-board with "Rail Sale' transportation. However, after a review of the website, I am unable to locate any promulgation of their current policy.

Once aboard and seeking an on-board accomodation sale, you are at the mercy of the crew. Some Conductors simply do not 'wish to be bothered' and they are conveniently sold out, amen. Others are always concerned about the possibility of a double sale, in which case guess who would be "on the carpet'.

Lastly, I have noted reports at one Forum or the other, which based upon how the author described the transaction and the documentation, or lack of it, received, I would question whether the collection ever made its way into Amtrak's accounts.

Best approach if possible; just book Sleeper, pay what you must, and know that there is more likelihood than not you will enjoy your trip.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mary_228
Member # 3826

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mary_228   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Accomodations for this train are $347 (w/AAA discount). Doesn't that seem like a lot, when all you get is breakfast and lunch the next day? I'm assuming that there is no dinner since the train departs at 7:55pm.
Posts: 72 | From: Illinois | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mary_228
Member # 3826

Member Rated:
I must correct myself: there is no discount on accomodations.

Compare this cost ($347 on Lake Shore Ltd)to the Coast Starlight which will be feeding me 3 meals for only $287. Why the huge upcharge on the Lake Shore Ltd? I was under the impression that the superliner is much nicer than the viewliner and that the Coast Starlight in particular has better amenities.

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sleeping Car pricing throughout the System is pretty much supply and demand. It is not tied to the type of car or amenities offered on one train or the other.
Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jp1822
Member # 2596

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jp1822     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You get dinner on the eastbound Lake Shore Limited.

As Mr. Norman put it - it's all supply and demand, so if there's one room left on the Lake Shore Limited - you are often paying a pretty hefty price! And the problem with the Lake Shore is that it is short 1 sleeper at present - in my mind at least. There's the 2 NY sleepers, but the lone Boston sleeper is no more. Perhaps a 3rd sleeper on the Lake Shore will re-surface in the summer, as it did in late fall to compensate for the loss of the Three Rivers - or so Amtrak portrayed.

You may want to consider the Capitol Limited from Chicago to New York - transfer required in Washington DC though.

I have found that sleepers are often cheaper on the Capitol Limited, and on my last trip on the Capitol, 2 weeks ago, they conductor was very accommodating in upgrading people from coach to sleeper. Sleeper was then sold out!

The downside - you have to deal with a transfer in Washington DC, but Amtrak will provide you with all the connecting tickets.

Without the Three Rivers, travelling eastbound from Chicago (while connecting from the western long distance trains) is now tossup for me - Capitol Limited or Lake Shore Limited. Often, the Capitol Limited will get me home faster than the Lake Shore, even though the Lake Shore would be more direct. Course it all depends on how late the Capitol/Lake Shore leave Chicago and arrive at their final destination points. Then of course the connection coordination in Washington DC - or Pittsburgh to the Pennsyvanian!

Posts: 337 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pojon
Member # 3080

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pojon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used Rail Sale tickets and then "up-graded" to sleeping compartments on board the Silver Service trains coming and going from Florida--sometimes it seemed a bargain and sometimes the conductors did not really know the official price for the up-grade--sometimes to my advantage.
Posts: 287 | From: Palatka, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pojon
Member # 3080

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Pojon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Remember the days when you could show up at a station at the last minute (less than 20 minutes before train departure time) and suddenly buy coach tickets for long distance trips and then when on the train easily up-grade to roomettes or double compartments. Those were the days when you didn't even have to "plan" a trip--just take one spontaneously! Many of my vacations with my wife were done like that 25 years ago from Florida points to New York and further. [Razz]
Posts: 287 | From: Palatka, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page