RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » METROLINER VIS ACELA

Author Topic: METROLINER VIS ACELA
CHANGEATJAMAICA
Member # 3737

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CHANGEATJAMAICA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Before the "wheels came off" figuratively, we were scheduled to take an Acela train BOS/PHL this June. The particular train we were to take has been replaced by a Metroliner. What can we expect? What are the differences between the passenger cars and motive units? Appreciate your experienced and informed responses.
Rodger

Posts: 83 | From: MERRIMAC,MA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TBlack
Member # 181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TBlack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the service I've seen leaving Boston, they've been using the Acela motive power hooked up to the metroliner cars. The principal difference, from my point of view, is just that...the view. Metroliner cars have much smaller windows so the cars are darker inside and viewing is not as pleasant. The cafe car is different, but I'm sure the menu is the same. The scheduled running time is a little longer, but I don't think you'll notice it. The experience won't be quite as nice as Acela, but you'll get 85% of the experience. Furthermore, there really isn't any more efficient way to get to Philadelphia from Boston except on the train.
Posts: 518 | From: Maynard, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the service I've seen leaving Boston, they've been using the Acela motive power hooked up to the metroliner cars

No way!!

What you observed, Mr. Black, was an HHP-8 locomotive hauling Amfleet cars. These units look quite similar to the Acela power units. Further, to add to confusion, the previous Warrington Administration was going to brand all Corridor services "Acela this or that". There is reasonable possibility that locomotive you observed could still have had an Acela marking.

Hope this helps, but understand if it has confused.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page