RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » TRIP OF A LIFE TIME ,II

Author Topic: TRIP OF A LIFE TIME ,II
CHANGEATJAMAICA
Member # 3737

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CHANGEATJAMAICA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well we're a week away from our second Amtrak excursion. Last year we took what we thought would be our one and only first class train trip on the occasion of our 40th anniversary. At that time the plan was simply to fly to DEN and take the CZ to EMY and then return by air. But the bride, after experiencing a ride in the Warrior Ridge around horseshoe curve in '03 was 'bitten' and suggested we take the train, as the line in the Quiet Man says, "the whole long way"! And so the trip was born. We took the LSL BOS/CHI, the CZ CHI/EMY, the CS EMY/LAX, the SWC LAX/CHI and home again on the LSL. All legs in bedrooms except the CS which was a roomette. We kept a journal of sorts which matured as the trip wore on.
We began planning for this year's trip even earlier than we did for our first one, making reservations and purchasing tickets in August. If we had waited until February as we did last year we would not have been able to get our first choice of accomodations on our first choices of trains/dates.
So, next Saturday morning we'll drive over to the Park n Ride lot in Newburyport and take the C&L
coach to South station to begin our trip on what was to have been an Acela train (#2253) to PHL.
After a couple of days there it's on to NOL on the Crescent. The morning after our arrival (or maybe the afternoon after our arrival) we'll board the SL for LAX. Upon arrival there we've rented a car to drive to OXN for a couple of days of relaxation in the sun. We then board the CS for a trip to SEA. The next day it's the EB to CHI and then a transfer to the LSL on to ALB with a change of equipment for the final leg to BOS.
We'll try to relate our experiences in this forum with some of the same interest as Mr. Williams has, but we realize that's a tall order.
Best regards

Posts: 83 | From: MERRIMAC,MA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are where my wife and I were at in 1998. We do an annual trip around the first of May.

2006 might be the year we venture east from Houston.

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
20th Century
Member # 2196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 20th Century     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, that sounds like a fun trip! I will be interested to hear which train provided the best service. Also which one was closest to departure and arrival times. And of course which one, in your opinion, provided the best scenery. I am looking forward to your report. Enjoy! I wish that all of your trains provide the best in service. Happy journey.
Posts: 498 | From: New Hope, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mikesmith:
You are where my wife and I were at in 1998. We do an annual trip around the first of May.

2006 might be the year we venture east from Houston.

My favorite 'east' trip is the eastbound Cardinal. Sunrise along the Ohio River in Kentucky, ride through West Virginia until mid-afternoon, the late afternoon ride over Afton Mountain, Charlottesville and then rural Virginia till dark...it's a great trip in spite of the downgraded meal service.

Then of course there is the Capitol Limited if you must have your superliners still!

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page