RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Orlando via New Orleans or D.C.?

Author Topic: Orlando via New Orleans or D.C.?
clwood
Member # 3297

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for clwood     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Early next year I want to travel from Wisconsin to Orlando to take a cruise. I would like to travel in first class, in a family bedroom when available, as I will be accompanied by my 2 small daughters. I have discovered that if, on the return trip, I travel from Orlando to New Orleans on the Sunset Limited and then on to Chicago on the City of New Orleans, I can have a family bedroom all the way, a much shorter layover in New Orleans than I would have in Washington, and best of all, a much cheaper fare.

However, I have seen numerous negative comments here about the Sunset Limited as regards scheduling reliability, and I've also heard the New Orleans station is a lot less friendly than Washinton's Union Station. Would anyone here care to advise me? I would like to purchase my tickets soon, as I fear the cost will only get higher.

Posts: 51 | From: La Crosse, WI, USA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vicki
Member # 3410

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vicki     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We're making this same trip in Feb. I chose it primarily because we have never been to NOL before. I am planning on the Sunset Limited being late and that's ok. The price difference is a nice bonus.

I have been to Washington DC's Union Station and it is lovely.

Posts: 149 | From: Joliet, IL USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CG96
Member # 1408

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CG96     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No problem. I've made the trip from Minnesota to Florida on a couple of occasions, and the D.C. layover has enabled me to do such things as explore parts of the Smithsonian, and get off and just plain walk around. Either way should be fine for you. If you were to call Amtrak's 800 number, I think the default itinerary sends you via the Capitol Ltd. and D.C.

--------------------
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one corner of the Earth all one's life."

Posts: 506 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've used New Orleans Union Station six or seven times in the last 20 years......most recently in 2002 when I made the change from the westbound Sunset to the northbound City of New Orleans. We arrived in NOL about two hours late after sitting at a red signal on the outskirts of town for 90 minutes. That still left about three hours to make the connection. It is likely that you would be late to New Orleans. It is unlikely that you would be so late as to miss the connection.

The station itself is nowhere near as nice as DC Union Station BUT it is not bad. In 2002 there was a cheesy little gift shop and a Subway sandwich shop in the station. The Magnolia Lounge for sleeping car passengers is small but pleasant if you need some separation from the crowd. The neighborhood isn't great and I would not wander far from the station......but then the same is true at DC where I have been approached by panhandlers.

Given the financial advantages, I be inclined to book via NOL.

David Pressley

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clwood
Member # 3297

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for clwood     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How dependable is the Sunset Limited from Orlando to New Orleans? This particular train seems to figure prominently in horror stories about extreme lateness, bustitution, and runnng out of food. These are things I am not eager to experience in the company of a 6 year old. She is a seasoned traveller, but I don't want to press my luck.
Posts: 51 | From: La Crosse, WI, USA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As a "veteran" of two rides ORL-1-NOL during 2002 and ;04, on both trips the connection with #59 City was comfortably made.

I think the greatest concern, Ms. Wood, would be that the inbound #2 had been annulled at New Orleans. If this be the case, you are "open" for a bustitution. However, if you are traveling Sleeper, and are tactful yet persistent, you could end up with air transport and Hotel as your substitute transportation. Account potential liability issues, Amtrak would not allow you to rent an auto at their expense.

Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clwood
Member # 3297

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for clwood     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by notelvis:
The Magnolia Lounge for sleeping car passengers is small but pleasant if you need some separation from the crowd.
David Pressley

David, can you or others describe the Magnolia Lounge for me? Is there a restroom? Baggage storage? Drinks or snacks?
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Magnolia Room at New Orleans Union Passenger Terminal was recently "madeover". It contains easy chairs, TV, coffee and soda bar.

It certainly beats the "oh so fifties" motiff of the main waiting room. Last trip through during Feb 04, I never left it from Sunset#1 arrival to City #58 departure.

Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page