RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » best days to travel?

Author Topic: best days to travel?
chile2
Member # 3110

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for chile2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Greetings---- Does anyone have any suggestions of which days of the week tend to be the least busy ; i.e. less crowded? I know it would perhaps depend on the route one is taking. In my case, that would be routes west of Chicago (SWC, CZ, EB, CS). Maybe this is a rather silly question, but I just wondered if anyone has noted a pattern, like motels often have their slowest nights on Sundays.
Posts: 72 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tuesday and Wednesday seem to "win the prize" with any passenger transportation, lodging, or hospitality concern.
Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree about Tuesday and Wednesday being quietest for Amtrak--and Fridays, Sundays, and holiday travel days (like the Wednesday before Thanksgiving) being busiest--though you also need to take seasonality into account; e.g., I think a Tuesday in February is probably busier on Florida trains than even a Friday in August, and I suspect a Tuesday in August is probably busier on the Montreal train than even a Friday in February.

As for lodging, though, you cannot always use the Tuesday/Wednesday rule; it really depends on where you are staying. Hotels that do the bulk of their business with business travelers generally have the best rates on weekends; those that do the bulk of their business with tourists generally have the highest rates on weekends.

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chile2
Member # 3110

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for chile2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks folks! Due to my work schedule, the departure days don't really matter and aiming for Tues. or Weds. would work out fine. Now, on with the planning.....
Posts: 72 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page