RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Amtrak raising security because of London Attacks

Author Topic: Amtrak raising security because of London Attacks
DesertSpirit
Member # 3848

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for DesertSpirit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's being talked about on CNN right now...
Posts: 30 | From: Colorado | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As of now, rail transit (Amtrak, commuter, and rapid transit) threat level has been raised to Code Orange.

Yet we have been directed "to go about our normal lives'. I for one don't know how it is possible to do so; it hasn't been for me since 9/11.

But then young people are coming of age every day to whom 9/11 was "something that happened in the past', such as WWII is to me (on the planet but not of age).

Well, at least Jacko is off page one (or at least as lead story on the cable news channels), and, at the rate they are going, Natalie's family could well be deported from their 'island paradise'. The reporters from Fox could well be "redeployed' to "7-7 coverage', which would automatically put Natalie the back pages (lest we note, she is not the only missing person out there; just the most 'camera ready' at present).

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Raising the threat level after an attack seems pointless. In order to be credible, security needs to expect an attack could come at any time. In other words, they needed to be just as prepared yesterday as today.
Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Toy and Mr. Norman (and many more): your insight, intelligence and common sense contribute to making this forum an island of sanity. In a world of sound bite news and irrelevant human drama that sells commercials, you put real issues, analysis and ideas in play. Foamers rule! Thank you.
Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Big Merl
Member # 3251

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Big Merl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember being en route during the Madrid bombings last year. The only difference once we got to Chicago was that they played that message about abandoned baggage a little more then usual. I didn't notice any difference otherwise until we got to Penn Station and the MTA was in force.
Posts: 88 | From: Omaha, NE | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does the expression, "Closing the barn door after the horse is stolen" seem applicable? All governments everywhere do it. Think additional emphasis on hurricane preparedness along the Gulf Coast for one example. Then, here at least, we get a lot of discussion on earthquake preparedness right after we have one of the 5+ variety. That, along with the "maybe that's a precursor to a big one" panics. Nope, never so far anywhere that I know of. You have the big one the a series of aftershocks declining in intensity and frequency over the next few days / weeks afterward.

I am saying by all this, forget sending out the guards for prevention of another bomb over the next few days. Concentrate instead on analysis and finding the guilty so we can send them a message they understand, and not like the Spanish who basically gave them what they wanted.

George

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutton
Member # 1612

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lowering and raising threat levels is nothing more than government keeping fear alive in the public--so that they can hold on to power. Oldest trick in the book for rulers/politicians.
Posts: 171 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Toy and Sutton have excellent points...Its sad out goverment operates like this.
Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sutton:
Lowering and raising threat levels is nothing more than government keeping fear alive in the public--so that they can hold on to power. Oldest trick in the book for rulers/politicians.

I was flying Thursday and actually learned of the London attacks from the driver of the Denver RTD bus I was taking to the airport. He mentioned that his wife had called to ask him if they were shutting down the airport. He also took it personally that someone would blow up a bus. (He said "Politicians don't ride the bus. What kind of statement are you trying to make by blowing up a bus?")

The only sign of heightened security I saw the entire day was a live officer checking the credentials of the drivers of courtesy shuttle vans and buses as they entered the Denver airport... no interest whatsoever in the passengers of these vehecles. The officer was checking the credentials through the drivers' window and not even boarding the vehicle to take a look for suspicious looking passengers. You would think that under Code Orange or whatever that they would have wanted to look at folks riding buses to the airport. Everything else was the same or perhaps even a little more lax than what I had encountered several days earlier in Portland.

Regarding political implications.....it will be interesting to see whether the terror alert status starts being moved around more frequently (and thus making the news) as we get closer to next years' mid-term elections. I would bet that they will if the poll numbers look too close for a number of incumbants.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interestingly the terror alert level is not officially published in the UK. It can be found out easily however. It was already at a "substantial threat" level so I don't think it's been raised.

We're just getting on with life. No point letting the terrorists win.

Geoff M.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for UncleBuck44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I was trying to persuade my parents into taking a long distance train ride.
Now there is absolutely no way I'll be riding on a train until November.
Any time I bring it up they say "Sure, why don't we go to London and ride a train".

I even was using the excuse that Amtrak is probably going to be gone by next spring. It was working until those damn bombings.

In my opinion, the best time to ride a train is now. Think about it. Usually Amtrak has no security. Now there's at least more than there was a week ago.
And what terrorists are going to bomb a 55-75 MPH Midwest to west coast train? Wouldn't you think any attacks on Amtrak would be in the east coast on the 150 MPH train? The trains with the people in suits.

Anyone have any good reasons that I can use on my parents to get them to take the train?

Posts: 547 | From: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got ssomething. The terrorists MUST have extensive media coverage for their terror to work. That means New York, Washington DC, or Los Angeles. The mass transit system or major buildings are the primary targets.

Stay away from NY, LA, & Washington, and you should be A-OK.

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRCHINA
Member # 1514

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted      Profile for RRCHINA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are we vulnerable, certainly. That is the price we pay to enjoy the freedoms we have. If something happens here there will be an outcry of
why were we not prepared. Why could not this specific event have been foreseen.

But we have many who proclaim that the provisions of the Homeland Security legislation passed by Congress following 9-11 are much to restrictive. But they would likely be the first to jump on the "blame game train" if something happens in the USA.

Well it is almost four years since that terrible day and it has not happened again so we must be doing something right. Does acknowledging that also say that we are 70, 80, 90 percent safe? Of course not and we shall never be free from those who utilize our freedoms of movement and access to public places for their malicious actions.

We did not respond to the many acts perpetrated by these terrorists prior to 9-11, beginning with the bombing of the Marine barracks in Lebenon and continuing with several more like bombing our embassy in Kenya. Why would they not be bold? They thought we had no resolve but are now finding that we have much. And they will find it from the British as well. They are a strong people who survived the terrible bombings in WW II and will be even stonger after 7-7.

Freedom is not free. There are times it must be fought for with all of our resolve and resources.
Many generations of Americans, and British, have paid for the freedoms we have, many with their lives, and we are doing it once more. When we are attacked we quit being political adversaries and unite to defend what we have, at least we always
have to this point.

Let each of us contribute by being observant and careful as we enjoy our railroad interests and our daily activities. And support those who are ready to defend us when we cannot.

Posts: 467 | From: Prescott, AZ USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goldcupmom
Member # 3761

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for goldcupmom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On 7/7 my daughter & I left Orlando on the Meteor. headed ultimately for ABQ, through DC and Chicago. Yes, I thought about the bombings, briefly. Truthfully, we noticed no security different from our trip to Florida. The only change was in Orlando, there was a parked police car with an officer inside (reading something) near the baggage area - might have been coincidence as it was a shaded area. They also had all the coach passengers stand together in an area on the platform and a worker stood there. But, on board, it was over 30 minutes into the ride before anyone checked our tickets to even see if we belonged there, including our car attendant.

In Jacksonville, they sent the conductor inside to check tickets and allowed only the actual passengers on the platform. Nothing else we noticed along the way.

In DC we noticed nothing different. No more police (amtrak or otherwise) than on our trip 2 weeks earlier. The only thing was news crews in tents outside the station - we commented that they looked like vultures waiting for something to happen. Around the city, there were more barricades and police noticable. Also on our tour bus (tourmobile) there was a "bus check" where an officer stepped on while a *** walked outside. Lasted less than a minute.

In Chicago nothing was different. When we passed through KC, they usually bring the Dogs on, but didn't even see them on the platform this time (either way).

DD commented on how easy it would be for someone to do something to Amtrak. Not a pleasant thought, but like someone said, there are other targets more important, perhaps.

Posts: 30 | From: Rio Rancho NM | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CHATTER
Member # 1185

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CHATTER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course, beefing up security involves many things that cannot be seen by passengers, as well.
Posts: 255 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page