RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Meals on Wheels - Question

Author Topic: Meals on Wheels - Question
RussM
Member # 3627

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RussM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If a long-distance Amtrak train is delayed many hours, will Amtrak provide an extra meal in the dining car, or do passengers have to scramble for what is left in the snack bar ?
Posts: 133 | From: Canaan, CT | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know if it is company policy or we were just lucky but I can think of 3 times on 3 different trains where we were fed because the train was so late. There was no choice of food but it was excellent. I assume the chef used whatever he had leftover.Also they used paper plate but so what. As I recall the coach passengers were not charged.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, they give you free food (in sleepers) as long as the train is late even if its more meals then you were suppose to have. They may run out of selections but there will be food to eat in the dining car.
Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe that the long-distance trains generally carry enough 'emergency' provisions to provide one extra meal should a train be hours late at it's final destination.

The one time I did have an 'emergency' provisions meal it was a lunch on a 6 hour late Auto-Train. Choices were canned beef stew or chicken nuggets and the meal was surprisingly good given the circumstances.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeeCT
Member # 3241

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeeCT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last year I was on the California Zephyr and we ran very late. An additional meal was served ---- I do not recall if menu was limited. I have had many a free box lunch because of the extreme lateness of the Lake Shore Limited. (Awaiting us in Albany on way to Boston.)
It has been my experience that Amtrak will make extra accomodations when they run very late. That CZ trip had us arriving in San Francisco after midnight. The connecting shuttle bus from the station in Emeryville was instructed to take each of us to our hotels not the designated drop off points. (Much appreciated by this Senior Citizen who was a tad concerned about walking several blocks in a strange city at that hour of the nite.)

Posts: 460 | From: North Central CT | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
one year we were enroute to D.C. on the Cardinal and very late. When we got to Charlottesville,Va They onloaded dinners for everyone. I was told they notified whomever and that is the way they solved the siruation
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My experience is somewhat different. I was on the CZ a few years ago, and we didn't get into Emeryville until 10:00pm (scheduled for 6:00). No dinner was served. The diner stayed open late for lunch, but only until about 3:00 or so (we ate at 1:00). The lounge ran out of food and closed before Sacramento. TOO LONG to go without eating.

What reallly irked me was I had called Amtrak a few days before and asked what their dinner policy was if the train arrived in EMY after dinner time. I was told dinner WOULD be served.

My advice: don't count on it.

--------------------
The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I took the Silver Meteor back north from Savannah and it was 10 hours late, they had some sort of chicken in peanut sauce wraps to hand out in DC to passengers continuing to the NE. It was delicious; better than some of the regular meals. And they even gave them to coach passengers; I don't think there was a charge but I can't remember.
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now and then I have been on late trains on which the staff have picked up good ol' Kentucky Fried Chicken at a station and given it to those who wanted it (they call ahead of time to a station which has a KFC located close by)
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On a Feb 1996 SB Auto Train that arrived 16 hours late, all meals were served. Lunch was the Dinty Moore stew noted by Mr. Pressley, Dinner was the full regallia complete with "comp' wine.
Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
North American Railroader
Member # 3398

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for North American Railroader     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A few years ago I was riding everyone's favorite train, the Sunset Lmtd. I went to bed with the train on time, and woke up with it over ten hours late! They had to provide us breakfast and lunch, for lunch, the crew had to mish and mash together food. I ended up with a chilli burger, an oddity on Amtrak, and it was the best lunch I ever had. Kind of funny, eh?
Posts: 82 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grandma Judy
Member # 3278

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Grandma Judy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On a late California Zephyr we had an extra dinner. The waiter told us to put the menus away - not much selection, but very tasty.

On a very late LakeShore Limited last winter with a dead diner they stopped at a McDonald's in Erie, PA and passed out McGriddles and OJ to everyone in coach (and I assume to the sleeper passengers also).

Bottom line is that Amtrak knows people can't go forever without eating. The idea of not having a dining car on the long distance trains is ridiculous. Not everyone can "pack a lunch" (those returning from a vacation for example), especially food to last 2 days or more.

Posts: 122 | From: Milwaukee, WI USA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CHANGEATJAMAICA
Member # 3737

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CHANGEATJAMAICA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On a Late-To-Be-Sure limited running some nine hours late into Albany Amtak boarded cold sandwiches and chips for the Boston passengers after we were uncoupled from the New York section which had the dining car and served ALL the passengers setting up a serving line in the cafe care.(Final arrival in Boston eleven hours late at 4:20 AM) On the CZ running some seven hours late through Reno a full dinner was served in the
dining car. (Final arrival in Emeryville seven hours late at midnight). On the Sunset Ltd (aka the train from he**) running some eight hours late through Yuma a lunch was served in the dining car...breakfast should have been our last meal on board. Somewhere between Palm Springs and Onatario running some fifteen hours late the dining car staff pooled everything they had left and came through the sleepers offering yogurt, cereal and fruit. They then proceeded to do the same in the coaches. (We finally "jumped" off the train in Ontario).
BTW; One of the dining car staff, one Alice Wong, less than five feet tall and possibly 90 lbs soaking wet with all her clothes on was fabulous.
I wish ALL Amtrak dining car folks could have the class, knowledge and professionalism she showed through the whole, long, trip.
Hip, Hip, Hooray for Alice Wong!
Rodger

Posts: 83 | From: MERRIMAC,MA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page