RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Amtrak internet fares

Author Topic: Amtrak internet fares
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to make a last-minute journey to California due to my mother's illness, and I was rather shocked when I was told by the Amtrak reservation's agent that a round trip from Buffalo to San Bernardino, departing Friday the 27th of August, would be $3200, yet the internet fare was $2366. The agent said that a deluxe bedroom (he still used that term) on #3 out of Chicago would be $1413 but on the internet it was only $700, and the return bedroom would be $1378 and the internet fare $1035. How can there be such an extreme difference between fares for the same train on the same day just because one is quoted over the phone and the other on-line? Of course I quickly made the internet booking--thank goodness I have the internet, but what about people who are not on-line? It seems rather unfair.
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It costs Amtrak money to hire the agents, but I thought you only saved 5% online..that is rather odd. But atleast they do tell you on the phone that you will save if you do it online.
Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Possibly, Mr. Royal, this is one time that your journey should originate at YYZ and not @ the foot of Younge Street.

While I myself "prefer not' to use air transport (not afraid; just don't like being wedged in with people I would just as soon not be around or they would wish to be around me), when, during 2001, my Father was "going going" (age 92; he had a good run) and subsequently "gone', air transport (ORD-LGA) for both the "farewell visit' and the Memorial Service seemed more appropriate under the circumstances.

Posts: 9980 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Flying is not an option for me. Leaving on the General Brock to Niagara Falls, and then by taxi to Buffalo's Depew Station for the Lake Shore Ltd. is inconvenient but far preferable to flying out of YYZ (Toronto's Pearson airport). I don't object to paying the high fare, I was just taken aback by the huge difference in sleeping car fares when one talks to an actual person versus making a reservation on-line.
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've encountered the same "web site is cheaper than 1-800-USA-RAIL" mystery several times. But it only seems to occur when I'm booking a long distance trip that involves sleeper travel on multiple routes.

Amtrak's reservations agents are always at a loss to explain why this occurs on some of my multi-route trips but not on others. Or why, on two occasions, the fare quoted by the live agent turned out to be considerably cheaper than the online fare.

A mundane computer glitch? A fiendish Government Plot? A Miracle? My guess is that None Of Us Will Ever Know For Sure.

That's why it's always worth checking both sources -- online and phone -- when booking even the most uncomplicated Amtrak journey.

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page