RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Phototaking-Amtrak and Greyhound

Author Topic: Phototaking-Amtrak and Greyhound
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Under "on board restricitons" on this website, it states that you may NOT take pictures, video, or sound of Greyhound buses or personnel. Why doesnt Amtrak even put something on there website explaining there policy? Atleast they could put a sign or so up. It just doesnt make sense. [Frown]

http://www.greyhound.com/travel_information/bus.shtml

Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An excellent idea Anton; evidently it is the intent of Amtrak and its host roads to prohibit photography of their equipment and facilities. There should be signage to that effect clearly posted on the property to avoid reoccurrence of that sorry incident in New Orleans last month resulting in the arrest of a paying passenger.

Likewise Amtrak should discontinue its photo contest promotion, as such is running "cross current' with the host roads as well as its own Police Department.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kairho
Member # 1567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kairho   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Greyhound restrictions are placed on people who are inside the bus (and probably also at rest stops) and appear to be designed more to protect the "privacy" of other passengers and to avoid having a third party source of documentation should there be an incident. (I wonder if the latter is somehow involved with labor work rules?) Nothing in there which prevents you from photographing a bus in the station or rolling.

Amtrak is trying to prohibit photography of their equipment at all times (but can only enforce it on their own property).

I consider the Greyhound rule valid (a requisite condition of carriage, as it were) whereas Amtrak is jousting into the wind.

Posts: 363 | From: Southwest North Central Florida | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good follow up points, Mr. Kairho.

Amtrak does not want its equipment, facilities, or even on-duty (exceptions, such as with express permission) employees photographed. This should be delineated to the same extent as Greyhound has chosen to do.

Restrictions on photography have long existed, but most have involved copyright infringement or privacy issues. On that point, I can recall a freebie Chicago Symphony concert at which it was clearly noted by signage that "professional photographers engaged by the Orchestral Association will be taking photos during this event for promotional purposes". In short, the attendees had been warned. If someone was with someone they shouldn't have been with, now would be an excellent time to egress the premises.

Naturally, there are broader common sense exceptions that should prevsail around railroad facilities; examples are scenery from a train's window and if you wish to snap Aunt Agnes as she alights, well, that's between you and her.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kiernan
Member # 3828

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kiernan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Generally speaking, if you're in a place where you're allowed to be, you can take any picture you want. If you're on private property the owner can, of course, restrict photography. Greyhound can restrict photography on their equipment as a condition of carriage, and Amtrak can, too. As far as privacy rights are concerned, you don't have any.

I was in Visalia, California, one evening during a street fair of some sort. Reporters were there with their video cameras, but two men were there with a FILM movie camera mounted on a real tripod. They were filming background shots for a network television show, a sit-com, I think. Because I was carrying my Hasselblad we ended up talking about cameras and cinematography. The camera operator swung the movie camera around to film some people sitting in an outdoor cafe.

"Don't you have to get their permission?" I asked.

"Only if we feature them," the producer replied.

There are plenty of places where photography is REALLY restricted. Try stopping your car and taking pictures of a Federal prison and see what happens.

--------------------
Kiernan

Posts: 155 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SilverStar092
Member # 2652

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SilverStar092     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This sounds so much like the Soviet Union, it would be comical if not so sad. If true, this is paranoia of the utmost degree. A terrorist would not be so stupid as to take pictures at a station when he could go harm the railroad at any remote location. The typical railfan typically has other items on him that are unique to railfans. I always carry a notebook to record our times at stations, car numbers, etc. Freedom of speech and thought allows that yet to some overzelous security person it might look suspicious. Like it or not, most terrorists do fit a profile and are not typical Americans. That is a fact whether anyone wants to hear it or not. I am a patriotic American and we had better take back our country and demand our rights to photograph hobbies. If a person wants to photograph a P42 engine, a Superliner sleeper, or a 737 jet, because he likes them, that should not be prohibited. Climbing over fences, etc. and entering restricted areas is another matter. There would be good reasons to restrict photos of prisons but then again, how many prison fans are there? The bottom line is: common sense should prevail. By the way, during a layover at New Orleans in May, I walked up and down platforms photographing the Sunset, the Crescent, and the American Orient Express. The station security people saw me and said nothing. I did obey railroad safety and didn't cross tracks, etc. so maybe that was an issue for the person in question. Of course, there won't be any rail photography in New Orleans for quite some time thanks to Katrina.
Posts: 561 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kiernan
Member # 3828

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kiernan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I spent Sunday afternoon taking pictures of the annual Santa Fe Fiesta parade. I walked in and out of the parade route, cut across the street in front of the floats, and walked along right next to the bands. I even took pictures of the cops. I do this every year. Today I was in Starbucks and one of the clerks said that she almost got a ticket for walking across the street during the Fiesta parade.

Maybe it's the camera. Weegee always said that you should carry a Speed Graphic and people will think you belong where you are. Not many of us have Speed Graphics, but maybe we need cameras that make us LOOK like we belong there taking pictures.

--------------------
Kiernan

Posts: 155 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RussM
Member # 3627

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RussM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is my impression that any restrictions on photography are most likely to be enforced in large cities, where there are security people wandering about. In rural areas, Amtrak doesn't seem to care if you take pictures. Photography restrictions are silly anyway. It is just another example of government bureaucrats wanting to give the impression of doing something, without accomplishing anything.
Posts: 133 | From: Canaan, CT | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jgart56
Member # 3968

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jgart56     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The supposed ban on photography is ludicrous!

Why ban something that has already happened. Just about every piece of rolling stock Amtrak owns as well as all of it's engines previously and currently owned have been photographed and placed on the web in numerous sites.

There are many map sites where you can focus in on rail yards and stations. It's all there already...at the click of a mouse. What is banning going to do now??? Talk about closing the barn door after the horses are out!

As I said before, the Terrorists won 4 years ago. It just hasn't dawned on us until now!

Posts: 171 | From: Aurora, Illinois | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From Greyhound:
quote:
"Photography, video or audio recording of Greyhound personnel, equipment or procedures is strictly prohibited."
However, I don't think Greyhound has any legal ground when someone takes photo of a bus on a highway either for personal or editorial (non commercial) use.

Amtrak's stated policy is clearly different, and much friendlier:
quote:
"Make Your Trip More Enjoyable: Don't forget to bring along those personal items that will help you get the most out of your trip. Our seasoned riders recommend the following:

Deck of cards
Travel games, board games
Personal CD or DVD player (with headphones)
Cell phone
Camera, video camera..."

Elswehere on the website Amtrak requires prior permission for commerical photographers to conduct their work on Amtrak property, but doesn't completely restrict it.

--------------------
The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BNSF 1088
Member # 2400

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for BNSF 1088   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The person in NOL went beyound the platform and into the engine house which is across the yard HE WAS TRESPASSING.
Posts: 210 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page