RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » My recent Southwest Chief experience

Author Topic: My recent Southwest Chief experience
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My elderly mother lives in Las Vegas Nev, and I live in Toronto Canada so rail journeys to that desert city are always a challenge. This was a trip that I had to make at the last minute, so I guess I was lucky to find that bedrooms were available just a few days before departure.

As there is no rail service between Toronto and Chicago, I was forced to take the Via local train, The General Brock, to Niagara Falls Ont., then a limousine across the border to Buffalo's Depew station to connect with the Lake Shore Ltd to Chicago where I boarded #3 to San Bernardino Calif. I left Toronto on the 26th of August/05 and returned from San Bernardino on the 1st of September.

I was pleasantly surprised when 49 arrived in Buffalo only 10 minutes late. As I was about to board the train at 12:05 am, there was a long line of people for the coaches, and I just walked past them only to hear a loud voice say "excuse me sir I have to see some ID." I replied that I was a first-class passenger, and the voice said "alright you can go to your sleeper, but the conductor may want to see you." I never saw the conductor. Is this Amtrak's latest version of security? I finally made my way to car 4911, roomette 10 only to find it occupied. The sleeping car attendant did find another roomette so all was well.

Would you believe that 49 arrived in Chicago on the 27th only 15 minutes late? This was indeed a good omen. After a long six hours in Chicago, #3 The Southwest Chief departed Chicago on time at 3:15 pm. I had bedroom "C" in car 330 that had been refurbished including the new toilets frequently prone to failure, which was my fate several times on the way west. I received the rather dubious explanation that altitude affects these toilets, although the other sleeper's toilets were working. Everything else worked satisfactorily, and Paul my attendant was very good. In the dining car I had an excellent lamb shank for one dinner, and a rather poor steak the next night. #3 ran early or on-time everywhere, and I arrived ten minutes early at 5:22 am in San Bernardino. My kindly brother-in-law met me at the "station." I put station in quotation marks, because for Amtrak passengers there isn't one. Although the old Santa Fe facility was allegedly renovated, it is closed for passengers. There is no agent, no shelter and no place to purchase tickets. One has to wait outside in all types of weather--a real disgrace.

After making the long round trip drive across the desert to Las Vegas, I was back in San Bernardino on the 1st of Sept for my journey eastbound on #4. After standing out in the open for about 45 minutes (no benches to sit on) the Southwest Chief pulls in 15 minutes late. I haul my luggage toward the sleepers at the front of the train, only to be told by a sleeping car attendant that my car, 432, has been spotted at the end of the train. As you may suspect I was rather annoyed to have to drag my luggage to the opposite end of the train, only to find there was no attendant and the door closed and locked. I banged very loudly on the door, and after several minutes a passenger came to investigate and opened the door for me. By this time I was quite feverish and after hauling my luggage upstairs to Bedroom "D" I was, to say the least, very annoyed. After the train started moving the conductor came by and lifted my ticket. I also gave him an earful as to why there was no sleeping car attendant. He just shrugged and said he didn't know.

This particular car #32021 was an unrenovated and shabby Superliner I. Instead of carpeting on the walls, it had some sort of ribbed plastic covering--rather ugly. But at least the toilet worked as it was the version where you push a button rather than putting down the toilet seat.

Of course being at the end of the train this meant making a great trek through three coaches and the lounge in order eat a meal in the diner. The crew in the diner were an indifferent bunch, but at least we were served on time and the food was satisfactory. We were over an hour late most of the way to Chicago, but due to padding we actually arrived at Union Station 20 minutes early.

As for that hopeless attendant in the 432 sleeper, would you believe that he disappeared at Gallup NM when three sleeping car passengers wanted to get off? I was listening to my scanner and I heard a voice say "we have three passengers for Gallup where are they?" Eventually three rather angry looking passengers opened the door themselves and left the train. I then heard on the scanner " Here come the passengers, where's that sleeping car attendant?" I then see out my window the conductor entering my car, closing the door and then finding the attendant sitting in his roomette. He said "you know you had three passengers at Gallup, where were you?" I didn't hear his response, but I wonder if they are ever written up for lapses.

As for #48 to Buffalo we sat in Union Station for two hours while waiting for the Empire Builder and the Zephyr, however, I arrived in Buffalo only one hour late. I was driven across the border and caught the Sunday afternoon General Brock which departed on time for Toronto. Altogether a rather rushed trip but not too many difficulties given the circumstances.

Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutton
Member # 1612

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Royaltrain,
Glad to read the report. I had the pleasure of taking the Canadian from Toronto to Vancouver. Truly a delight. Your experience with the invisible car attendant is the reason that I support firings at Amtrak. Yes, I do understand that a great many Amtrak employees are hard working individuals, but I've met others like this car attendant. If this were a private corporation, such useless workers would be fired immediately!

Posts: 171 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D. David
Member # 4055

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for D. David     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for your review. I enjoy reading other people's stories. This is the first time your differed radically from mine.

quote:
Is this Amtrak's latest version of security? ... Would you believe that 49 arrived in Chicago on the 27th only 15 minutes late?
I found that it was nonexistent on the Late Shore Limited. btw your experience with its relative punctuality has become the exception and not the rule. I wanted some time in Chicago to see a home I used to live in as a kid and you'd think with two chances of several hours each way I had it. Alas I ran into the terminal each time to get the next train, one which waited for us to arrive.

quote:
I haul my luggage toward the sleepers at the front of the train, only to be told by a sleeping car attendant that my car, 432, has been spotted at the end of the train.
Similar experience but KC entry is towards the back and mine was the first sleeper. I really wish they'd inform us whether the car will be to the rear or the front in advance.

Personally I think I'd like to be towards the back and not in the front. Walking isn't such a bad thing since - other than the smoking stops - there's not much opportunity to exercise or stretch.

Sorry to hear about the bathroom. I rather liked those closing ones and none were a problem on either way on the SWC to or from KCY/CHI last month.

Re the so-called attendant: We had a great guy for our car. I hope the one in yours got sacked. I wonder how often this sort of thing occurs?

Posts: 64 | From: NYC (NYP) | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page