RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » hi, new member

Author Topic: hi, new member
epson
Member # 1328

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for epson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi,
i live in india and i was really surprised to find so much support for amtrak. Back here in India rail travel is very popular and all diesels are alcos and gm's.

by the way why is amtrak's long distance/night train fares so costly when compared to flights/buses/cars?
epson

Posts: 2 | From: chennai,india | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimmymac
Member # 1182

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for jimmymac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello and welcome!
All I can say about the sleeper rates is that you also pay for meals for 2 people when you book a sleeper. Also, the rate depends on when you make the reservations. The earlier, the better. Also, you can get an upgrade after you board the train at a steep discount, provided they are not sold out.

Posts: 57 | From: Huntersville, NC USA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome epson!

Regarding your question:
Airfares are cheaper than sleeper fares between major cities because of high volume traffic. But the cheapest air fares between smaller communities, or a big city and a small town, are usually higher than sleeper fares, especially for two or more people.

Busses are cheap, but they are not very comfortable. They don't have sleepers so you can't really compare prices.

Cars are relatively cheap to drive, but when you factor in lodgings and food, it comes out a lot more expensive than a sleeper for an overnight trip. Plus, a train is faster than driving because the train doesn't stop while you sleep.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page