RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Minneapolis/St. Paul to Columbus WI, Superliner Roomette Worth It?

Author Topic: Minneapolis/St. Paul to Columbus WI, Superliner Roomette Worth It?
HomerMN
Member # 4116

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HomerMN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will be traveling for my first time on Amtrak later this month. I will be going from Minneapolis to Columbus Wi, (basically Madison, WI) with a morning depature leaving at 7:30 am on the way to Columbus and an evening depature leaving at 5:30 pm on the way back to Minneapolis. The total fare for two people is $98, I was curious to see though if it was worth upgrading to the Superliner Roomette on the empire builder, I'm looking to have a little bit more privacy, plus will there be any meals included on this 5 hour trip. How has your experience been? Thanks folks great forum. Glad I found it!
Posts: 2 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grandma Judy
Member # 3278

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Grandma Judy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You should arrive at the MSP station about the same time the train does; then they will let you board early and you can have breakfast. You should also be able to have lunch before arriving in Columbus, if you go to first call. I've upgraded to a roomette both ways (on the day of travel) and found it very worth while, even for one person. I did find that I got a better rate from the ticket agent at MSP than was quoted over the phone 1/2 an hour earlier on the morning of travel. Last time I did this, it was about $50 for the roomette, but that was 3-4 years ago.
Posts: 122 | From: Milwaukee, WI USA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HeartlandExpress
Member # 3386

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HeartlandExpress     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You should also be able to get dinner on the way back to MSP. Keep in mind that the roomettes are small. The seats face each other. The only way to put your feet up is on the seat across from you. It might be a little cramped with two people. There isn't much room for luggage either. But the privacy and the meals are nice.
Posts: 18 | From: Eagan, MN | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you consider that you get a breakfast and lunch worth about $10 and $15 respectively, then you are getting about $50 worth of food included in your roomette fare for 2 people. Tips and alcoholic beverages are not included in your roomette fare.

If you are booking on the internet, be sure to check both Portland and Seattle sections of the train (#8 and 28 eastbound, and #7 and 27 westbound), because one may be cheaper than the other.

When checking for myself lately, I have noticed really cheap fares for roomettes for the Empire Builders show up 7-8 days before departure date, but not every day. Maybe if they still have unsold bedroom space available, they discount it as the time gets closer. For instance, I get a roomette fare of $69 MSP-Columbus for Oct 9, but later in the month it is well over $100. But beware they could sell out if you wait also. Weekday fares may not sell out as fast and be cheaper.

You can consider coach one way and bedroom the other. Dinner runs about $14-$22. Be aware that on some days this month, the Empire Builder is re-routed through Illinois because of track repair on the regular route. If you try a certain date on the website and it says "Bus", try a different day. On those days a bus is substituted from MSP-CHI and the train runs non-stop to Chicago.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mary_228
Member # 3826

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mary_228   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I shared a roomette with my husband who is 6'4" for a 22 hour journey and it was very nice! Sleeping is another issue, but since you won't be in there overnight, I think you'll like it just fine. On that train people tended to keep the sliding doors open and it felt almost spacious! Doors closed, with shades drawn might be a little claustrophobic....
Posts: 72 | From: Illinois | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tanner929
Member # 3720

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tanner929     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For a 5 hour trip it seems that if you have breakfast before you depart should take care of food you will get to Columbus for lunch minus delays. I am 6' and find the coach seats to be comfortable with more then enough leg room, much better then airplanes and superior to commuter rail lines. And for the trip back, again have a late lunch and bring a sandwich.
Posts: 516 | From: New Haven, CT USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Tanner. For a five hour trip, you do not need a sleeper. Save your money and keep saving until you have enough to book another Amtrak trip, with beautiful scenery . . .
It's really no fun taking a sleeper for the very first time if you aren't going to sleep in it overnight!

However, you might want to go into the dining car for breakfast. (The railroad French toast breakfast, including coffee and juice, is only about $7 plus tip.) Or you might consider sitting in the observation car when you leave Minneapolis, since it's quite pretty riding along the Mississippi, which you do for a good stretch. Both places are good for meeting and chatting with fellow Amtrakers.

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With due respect of course to both Ms. Sojourner and Mr. Tanner, I disagree.

Because they represent an "overstock' of sorts in that Twin Cities originates a reasonable amount of business to the West (many communities accross North Dakota and Montana served by the Builder have no other reasonable and practical commercial transportation alternatives), Roomettes for day occupancy between Chi and Mpls tend to be attractively priced.

Since in both directions you will be aboard during established meal hours, your meals are included in your accomodation charge, with two persons traveling, we could almost be looking at a case of "you can't afford NOT to upgrade'.

While I know there are Members here who actually PREFER Coach travel to Sleeper, be assured I'm not one of them. In short, go for the upgrade!

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HomerMN
Member # 4116

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HomerMN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you everyone! I am really looking forward to my first Amtrak trip. Your help was fantastic!
Posts: 2 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page