RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Amtrak Customer Advisory Council

Author Topic: Amtrak Customer Advisory Council
Capltd29
Member # 3292

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Capltd29   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
YAY!

My mom got appointed to the Amtrak Customer Advisory Council. She is required to take several Amtrak trips per year, at her own expense.

She, however, does get provided transportation to the twice yearly meetings, the next one is in Wilmington and the following one is on the West Coast.

Just wondering if anybody else here was appointed....

Posts: 143 | From: Richmond, VA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Parker--

Would your Mother be willing to share her resume that she submitted here at the Forum? Naturally, any private information should be understandably deleted.

If she was appointed based upon her qualifications, this could be of great help to anyone else here contemplating "throwing their hat in the ring" for a seat on the ACAC.

I tend to be of thought that most of these "advisory panels' out there appoint members based on one "qualification" best known as HOOUNO. But if your Mother was able to 'beat the trend', and earn her appointment on merit that is indeed commendable and how she was able to accomplish such could be a quite interesting report.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Capltd29
Member # 3292

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Capltd29   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will check with her on that, I dont think it would be a problem [Wink]
Posts: 143 | From: Richmond, VA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to be so ignorant, but what is "HOOUNO?"
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zephyr
Member # 1651

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zephyr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HOOUNO is Gilbertese for "Who You Know."

They talk different at BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.34.

Posts: 445 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Confirm; HOOUNO=Who You Know.

But isn't that the way these kids text message one another nowadays???? [Eek!]

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zephyr
Member # 1651

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zephyr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trying to be hip, Mr. Norman? Be like the "kids?" Hmmmmm.....

Well, whatever. I really enjoy your posts. But apparently like others, I originally had some difficulties following your trains of thoughts. I discovered moving my lips while reading your messages helps a lot. Now I almost always understand you. Which has necessitated my first appointment with a shrink Wednesday next. Thanks to UNOHOO.

Posts: 445 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know four individuals who've been "rejected" after offering to serve on the Customer Advisory Committee.

All are frequent Amtrak passengers. All have extremely heavy-duty backgrounds in marketing, advertising, and public relations.

Frankly, Amtrak was foolish to turn down such high-powered (and totally free) expertise. It makes me suspect that, when the committee is choosing new members, a personal "connection" (or perhaps the simple cluelessness of those who head the committee) is the deciding factor, rather than the skills a prospective volunteer might bring to the table.

Interestingly, the only thing that really bugged the rejectees -- after they'd taken considerable time and trouble to apply -- was that Amtrak gave them the kiss-off with a form-letter e-mail, rather than show them a little grownup courtesy by saying "thanks but no thanks" by regular letter.

All four felt that rejecting volunteers via bulk e-mail is lazy, unprofessional, and amateurish -- and a good indicator of how the Committee itself is probably run.

As a result, none have any further interest in serving. And that's definitely Amtrak's loss.

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While I enjoyed the process of preparing the application (Resume, Statement of Interest, Amtrak travel over the previous twelve months, and projected travel for the next twelve months) I did feel that something more than a bulk e-mail rejection was warranted.

Since I was employed at the same job at the same place for 35 years discovering the equivalent of "Resumes R Us" online was an eyeopener!

Frank in cool, cloudy SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page