RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Why was ready to go tray meal service eliminated on the San Joaquins?

Author Topic: Why was ready to go tray meal service eliminated on the San Joaquins?
20thCenturyLimited
Member # 1108

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 20thCenturyLimited     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know why the ready to go tray meal service was eliminated on the San Joaquins? I used to enjoy them everytime I took the San Joaquins when I use to travel that route often.
Posts: 134 | From: New York, New York USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because Amtrak is under pressure from Congress and DOT to eliminate non-essential food service.
Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, Colonel, the lack of $$$ in the case of the California Service was attributable to the "girlie men".
Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
20thCenturyLimited
Member # 1108

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 20thCenturyLimited     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would someone give me a serious answer?
Posts: 134 | From: New York, New York USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My semi-educated guess? The meals were axed because very few passengers were buying them.

Here's an excerpt from the November 2004 issue of the newsletter called California Rail News (published by the Train Riders' Association of California), which mentions the meals-in-question:

"Chef Mario tray meal sales did decline from 2.9 per train in April, to 2.2 per train in May, and 1.6 per train in June, a drop of nearly half. But ridership dropped only about 9 percent from April to June. Annulments cannot be blamed since other June food sales increased from May by about $4000, while Chef Mario tray meals declined by $1600."

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
20thCenturyLimited
Member # 1108

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by dilly:
My semi-educated guess? The meals were axed because very few passengers were buying them.

Here's an excerpt from the November 2004 issue of the newsletter called California Rail News (published by the Train Riders' Association of California), which mentions the meals-in-question:

"Chef Mario tray meal sales did decline from 2.9 per train in April, to 2.2 per train in May, and 1.6 per train in June, a drop of nearly half. But ridership dropped only about 9 percent from April to June. Annulments cannot be blamed since other June food sales increased from May by about $4000, while Chef Mario tray meals declined by $1600."

Thanks. That's really sad that people would actually prefer to eat the bad fast food over the sit down tray meals, or that people are too cheap to spend the very few extra dollars on what were pretty decent, and well portioned meals. I never left the table hungry, and they were a good value. Oh well, Americans are stupid that way.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page