RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Philadelphia

Author Topic: Philadelphia
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We are thinking of a trip to Philadelphia, and though I've been inside the station lately (returning from western PA), it's been a long time since I visited Philadelphia proper, so I have some questions for those in the know:

(1) We have to take an Empire Amtrak to NY Penn & then switch trains to go to Philly. Should we switch to an Amtrak Regional, or should we consider taking NJ Transit (and changing in Trenton)? I know the latter is cheaper, but it's also longer. Are the trains themselves of any interest? Would it be comfortable to take them with luggage?

(2) Can someone recommend a safe, conveniently located hotel that won't break our budget? We need something near the tourist attractions (Constitution Hall, etc). We'd really like something closer to $100 than $150 a night, if that's possible?

(3) Where is the train station in relation to the tourist area--do we need to take a taxi? What is the public transportation within Philadelphia like?

(4) Does anyone know how one might visit Valley Forge from Philly, using trains or other public transportation?

Thanks so much!

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've traveled between New York and Philadelphia using NJ Transit and SEPTA. Yes, it's significantly cheaper than Amtrak. But that's offset by the longer journey time (NJ Transit and SEPTA make many more stops).

The trains themselves consist of standard commuter cars. They're nothing special, and certainly aren't as "luxurious" as Amfleet coaches. A reasonable amount of luggage shouldn't be a problem, as long as you're not hauling a steamer trunk and/or boarding during rush hour.

For the trip to Trenton, Amtrak and NJ Transit share the tracks of the Northeast Corridor. The "scenery" is the same (mile after mile of urban and suburban sprawl), regardless of which railroad you take.

So if saving money is a key factor? Take NJ Transit/SEPTA. If time is your main issue, take Amtrak.

Philadelphia's public transit system is excellent. SEPTA's subway, trolley, and bus lines can take you from 30th Street Station to virtually anywhere in town.

www.septa.org

As for hotels, I usually bid on Priceline. Check out this independent site (scroll down to the "Hotels" section), where travelers report their successful -- and unsuccessful -- bids:

www.biddingfortravel.com

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tanner929
Member # 3720

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tanner929     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stay on Amtrak for the NY to Philly trip especially if you have alot of luggage and, don't know how long you'll be on the train? I assume from the North, what with those pesky Amtrak delays. After a long trip you won't want to lug yourself from train to train with numerous stops. If you have a layover at Penn Station, If you haven't been there they have placed photo's around the station of the old station and what the area used to look like. The 30th Street Station in Philly has been refurbished and cleaned up it looks great. Try Hotels.com It allows you to search by price, plus it has pictures and critiques of the places. Look for some of the older "historic" or "Inns" these are often smaller hotels that look inconspicious on the outside but are comfortable. rooms can be small "think european" style. If you are doing a lot of sight seeing why spend money for a room you are not in to much. Enjoy
Posts: 516 | From: New Haven, CT USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jp1822
Member # 2596

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jp1822     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am not sure about hotels in the price range you mention, that would be in the downtown area, but you may want to see if Marriott, Loews or the Hilton chains have any special deals or discount programs to take advantage of. You definintely want to stay downtown - and not out by the airport - that's usually where some of the larger hotel chains try to send you if you ware looking for something cheaper.

I would definitely take an Amtrak Regional Train to 30th St. Penn Station. NJT during rush hour on the Northeast Corridor can be a nightmare, and then transferring in Trenton with luggage - hoping your connection on SEPTA is reasonably on time. All a gamble. However, I do use SEPTA when I am in the Philly area. Being over 6 foot though I find NJT commuter coaches more comfortable than SEPTA.

Posts: 337 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keep in mind that most of Amtrak's southbound Regional trains originate in Boston. When you board in New York, you'll probably find that the train is already filled with passengers. So your seating choices may be very limited.

In contrast, NJ Transit's southbound trains originate at New York's Penn Station. That means you'll have a better chance of scoring a window seat (if that's important to you) and of finding seats together if you'll be traveling with others.

Either way, seats aren't assigned by the crew. It's first come, first served. So move fast when boarding is announced at Penn Station. Amtrak and NJ Transit trains both fill up quickly, and the window seats are the first to go.

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, everyone. I think you've scared me off trying the NJ Transit with luggage--I don't like the idea of getting caught in Trenton waiting at the beginning of a vacation. I'll have to try it some day on a shorter hop. I am entirely familiar with NY Penn station, but I'm either going to NYC or in transit to Washington or Florida when I go through, so I just don't know much about NJ Transit (I once took a PATH train to Newark; that's about it) or taking the train to Philadelphia (though I have gone upstairs to see the station lately, and have gone through on trips to western Pennsylvania, it's years since I've been to the city proper, and then, we went by car).

I'd appreciate any info you have on hotels you like--then I'll know what to book when I look on hotels.com (Frankly, I'm still a little afraid to try priceline!)Also, any info on getting to Valley Forget--does anyone know? Finally, when we arrive at 30th Street Station, are we down near the Downtown where all the sights area, or do we need to take public transport or a taxi to our downtown hotel? It seems, from all my times going through, that 30th St Station is near the art museum--which we do plan to visit--but that's not right downtown, is it???

Thanks again.

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kairho
Member # 1567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kairho   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Before you try hotels.com or proceline please check on the hotels' individual websites. Most of interest are chains (Hilton, Starwood, Quality, etc.) and have comprehensive sites. They will have special offers and promotions there. And even if their lowest is a few dollars higher than hotels.com or priceline you at least know you will receive proper service and a proper room.

Hotels.com priceline and all thos other deep discounters look fine when considering cost but the probability of problems is HIGH. People booking through there are assigned the least appealing rooms in the least appealing part of the building, and are the first to be walked if an overbooking situation pops up. Plus, trying to get anything corrected through live operators is all but impossible.

I gave up on them last year when, after a dozen or so uses without incident, two separate problems occurred and they would not stand by their product. A few days ago I booked a room in Philadelphia on Starwood's site and don't care if it was $10 more expensive...it will be there and square.

Posts: 363 | From: Southwest North Central Florida | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not certain to what extent this URL will give you the same map, Ms. Sojourner, as I was reviewing, but at least "it will get you in the church".

30th Street Station is marked by the star, you will note to the East a large dot; that is City Hall at Broad and Market, and considered to be the the center of Center City (Center City=Phillyese for Downtown).

The tourist attractions are mostly to the East along the Delaware River (the river immediately to the East of the train Station is the Schuykill - wow, did the Dutch ever dream up names for spelling bee fodder). Along the Delaware is Independence Hall, Penns Landing, and even the hulk of the SS United States (lots of plans, but no "action").

Philadelphia probably has more mass transit capacity (route miles, seat miles, whatever) per capita than any other US City, even though I will acknowledge that Boston is a close second by that measurement. It even has trolley cars.

I totally concur with Mr. Kairho's advice, intermediaries (travel agents, especially bulk resellers like Priceline and Hotels) have a way of "gumming things up' even more when "something goes South".

All told, Philadelphia (never Philly) is an underrated Corridor city. I know it well as I went there many times on business during my railroad career.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I came into 30th Street took SEPTA to Market Street Station then walked 8 blocks to this hotel.

Pennsylvania
Philadelphia: Clarion Inn 215-922-1730

Chris

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
I don't want to turn this into a Priceline commercial but. . .

Bidding shrewdly for a room is definitely an acquired skill. However, I've done it dozens of times and never had a problem.

I've gotten rooms at the Philly Hyatt for as little as $40. A few weeks ago, I paid $50 for a two-room suite at the landmarked Stoneleigh in Dallas (it was $209 on the Stoneleigh's own web site) and $50 for a room at the Milwaukee Hilton ($150 on the Hilton web site). As they say on TV, your results may vary.

In fact, I've never bid more than $50, even in Los Angeles. The hotels (Hilton, Sheraton, Marriott, etc.) have always been very nice. The rooms have always been fine. Once, when I landed a Priceline room with bad plumbing at the Chicago Hyatt Regency, the hotel staff switched me to a deluxe room on the Gold Passport floor -- complete with free access to the thrice-daily "executive" buffet. Not bad for $45 a night.

Maybe I've just been lucky. But I've found that bidding is worth the effort. Especially since it reduces the total cost of a trip when I travel between cities aboard an Amtrak Sleeping Car.

After I make a successful bid, I always phone the hotel to make sure my reservation has appeared in their database. It eliminates the risk of any "we don't see your name on our computer" hassles at check-in time.

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regarding Ms. Sojourner's inquiry concerning Valley Forge, it is located in Upper Merion Township. The nearest municipality of size is King of Prussia - one of the few places in the metropolitan area not accesible by rail.

The SEPTA website shows bus service from Center City to the VisitorCenter, however I would presume you would wish to use rail to the fullest extent possible. If such be the case, the nearest rail stop is Wayne located on the PRR Main Line. From there suggest hiring a taxicab.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Thank you all so much for the info! I am now looking forward to that trip even more. However, we have just decided we are going to have to wait till next year to make it!!! Too many other trips pending, and the money is getting a little tight, what with all our skyrocketing food and fuel costs. . . . But we will pretty definitely do it in the fall of 2006 for sure (probably along with some nights in Washington DC again), so I will use all the info then!!!
DeeCT
Member # 3241

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeeCT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
www.valleyforge.org

Check this site for lots of info.
I prefer to not drive and rely heavily on tour companies with one day tours to see major attractions. (Greyline tours in many major cities is quite wonderful.Unfortunately they are not in Philadelphia.) There are several similar tour companies in the Philadelphia area. Just google "Philadelphia Tour groups".
This is where those wonderful tourist info racks in a hotel lobby come in handy. I have had luck calling a hotel located where I am going and requesting that they send a couple of them to me. If you call during off peak hours (late evening works well) and give a definite tourist site or two many will be happy to oblige. Requesting a brochure for their facility makes it even more likely.(Ask if they know of a day trip company that serves their place.) Also I am a firm believer in local Chamber of Commerce or Tourist Bureaus (many located on line.) I have often received discount coupons and all sorts of neat info from them.
The planning is part of the excitement and fun ! The train to get there is the best part of the trip.

Dee

Posts: 460 | From: North Central CT | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page