RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Question for Houstonians (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Question for Houstonians
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tanner, I'm not sure where you got the idea that the Washington Post does not use the name Redskins and refers to them only as our football team.the headline in today's Post is "Redskins play 52 Pickup"
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zephyr
Member # 1651

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zephyr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's time to even the odds. Mr. Smith is right-on when he pointed out the New York Times forecast of an Astros victory is like the kiss of death (for the Astros).

So I, Mr. Zephyr, hereby predict the team from the shores of Lake Michigan will win the World Series.

Now, that should make the White Sox 2-0 lead much more surmountable. My record of incorrectly predicting World Series outcomes, and the resulting steady diet of Crow a la Broche, should warm the hearts of Houston fans everywhere.

As for the resident of BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.34:

"For what sports facility did (NYSE symbol) ENE hold naming rights?"

Stock symbol ENE=Enron, which held naming rights at Houston's current stadium before it got it's juicy new name. It cost the Stros $2.1 million to end early Enron's sponsorship and to rid itself of this tarnished name. As further punishment, they were required to replace "Enron" with a twerpy name.

And " "The New York Times is the newspaper that I have read for the past sixty years..."

Wow, bad habits are really hard to break. But you do say you also read the WSJ, so maybe it's a ying and yang thing.

"...at my age of five, my Mother read it (the NY Times) to my Sister and myself..."

I think this method of punishing a misbehaving child is no longer acceptable.

Posts: 445 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tanner929
Member # 3720

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tanner929     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
More facts I may or may not no sorry about the Redskin thing perhaps they've changed there policy. Oh and did you know, The New York Times Corporation ownes a piece of The Boston Red Sox. Guess they wanted to invest in the local teams but the Yankees are too "Conservative" (and succesfull) for the Times, and The Mets? Well The Times doesn't do the Outer Bourugh's.
Posts: 516 | From: New Haven, CT USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Railroad Bob
Member # 3508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Railroad Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:
Sooner or later the Moderator, if any, around here is going to kill this off topic thread.

Oh, let's allow the monster to live until the Series is over, Mr. N. We aren't violating any of the forum rules, other than being off the "train track." Plus, I enjoy your brisk, witty repartee. We shall rise above the plebian rabble and their baseball banter...
oh, did I mention Go White Sox? Am I the only one who thinks the Foxcasters are biased in their game coverage? Just put Joe Buck in an Astros uniform and be done with it. And the first "d" in "Podsednik" is silent, I think.
[Razz]

Posts: 588 | From: East San Diego County, CA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tanner929
Member # 3720

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tanner929     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unfortunatly we hear on the east coast we nod off long before the game ends or McCarver surpasses his 10,000 word limit (oh we can only hope) Course there all ex National Leaguers.
Yeah lets keep this going I think this is the longest topic scince I've join this place.
Wanna talk about Joe Morgan's problem? kidding

Posts: 516 | From: New Haven, CT USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tanner929
Member # 3720

Rate Member
Unfortunatly we hear on the east coast we nod off long before the game ends or McCarver surpasses his 10,000 word limit (oh we can only hope) Course there all ex National Leaguers.
Yeah lets keep this going I think this is the longest topic scince I've join this place.
Wanna talk about Joe Morgan's problem? kidding

Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know..... The Astros have a track record of winning those multiple extra inning games...

I don't know what happened last night... {I do, but I'm in denial} [Frown]

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ira Slotkin
Member # 81

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ira Slotkin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
zephyr and tanner: thanks for your delightful humor.

mikesmith: thanks for using the word "track" so we ARE talking about trains after all. Whew...

And because someone mentioned yin and yang, and because the Japanese have high speed trains and because the Cardinals are not in the series, I offer a trainku:

sans moderator
topic is a runaway
too much a-siding

Ira in poetic Denver

Posts: 300 | From: Denver, CO USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for UncleBuck44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't believe the Cardinals lost Game 6. Well I sort of can.
Oh well, at least I was at the last game ever played at Busch Stadium.

--------------------
Heros get remembered, but Legends never die.
Follow your heart and you'll never go wrong.

Posts: 547 | From: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Zephyr, you apparently could not overcome the NYT's knack for "getting it wrong".

Too bad... [Frown]

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Before this thread gets the axe, I thought I would share that last evening I "checked in' on the game from time to time. One check after I had retired was during the top of the 9th. I then decided to turn on the TV, and watched until game's end.

Here in my rather affluent suburb, immediately after the game was over, I stepped outside and heard nothing. However, about fifteen minutes later, a few fireworks intermittently were detonated. Needless to say, there were no caravans of autos chasing about blowing their horns, or any other public jubliation.

That's just my town (actually incorporated as a Village) for you; that's the way the residents, including this resident, want it!!!!!

But taking a more macro view of the region, I'm pleased to learn that a major Chicago sports team can win it all without any violence or vandalism. Unfortunately, this was not the case during the years the Bulls won their NBA championships.

Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Railroad Bob
Member # 3508

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Railroad Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:

But taking a more macro view of the region, I'm pleased to learn that a major Chicago sports team can win it all without any violence or vandalism. Unfortunately, this was not the case during the years the Bulls won their NBA championships.

An astute observation, Mr. N. In fact, the owner of the W. Sox recently commented that he would gladly trade all the Bulls victory rings for just one Series Ring. Maybe it's an apples and oranges thing, but it's interesting how Sox fans did not burn down Chicago last night. There was some questionable celebrating; my uncle near 51st and Western said he could hear "fully automatic" weapons fire on his street; always a bad idea to discharge firearms into the air...sounds like Baghdad. But my hat is off to the Sox and the end of the 88 year drought.
[Wink]

Posts: 588 | From: East San Diego County, CA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zephyr
Member # 1651

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zephyr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm stunned. I actually correctly called a World Series. My first since the Loma Prieta, Battle of the Bay, BART (see, Ira, how I snuck a rail thing in there to apease the forum gestapos) Series. My last correct call was the A's over the Giants in 1989. But, hey, this year my call got a lot of karma from the NY Times and the Stro's ballpark's twerpy name.

I think I'm on a roll now. In the past, I think I've relied too much on logic and statistics. That's why I've lost a lot of bets to my wife (her system is based on how "pretty" the uniforms are, how "cute" the players are, and--probably based on her prior successes--picking the team I think has absolutely no chance).

But I now see the light. I will no longer pay any attention to baseball logic or statistics. Aaron Levenstein was right: Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital. From now on, I'm paying more attention to vitals such as NY Times picks, cuteness, cut and color of the uniforms, and the name of the stadium.

Additional comments:

To UncleBuck44: Welcome back. It's been a while since we've heard from you in these parts. As a citizen of the Cardinal Nation, I'll have to check out the new stadium next year. It'll be my third stadium I've been to in St. Loo (a sign of my length of citizenship).

To Ira Slotkin: Regarding your puns (like Minute Maid squeeze plays) and trainku, they were vomit provoking. Is it the thin air in Denver that gives you the inspiration? Does that limited supply of oxygen cause permanent brain damage over a period of time? (Just joshing, they were clever. Thanks for elevating the level of humor around here. It may be hard to believe, but I suspect you introduced some forum members to trainku poetry for the very first time).

To our boy from BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.34: You seem to be real hung-up on the lack of adult supervision on this forum. Hey, loosen your tie. Don't worry. You're not a child anymore, and the moderator is not going to punish you by setting you down and giving you a good, long reading-to of the New York Times.

To Railroad Bob: If the moderator does get upset about this thread, just remember who started it. You did. You could be in big, big trouble. I think forum banishment is warranted and must certainly be considered. (By the way, you might want to check out the Kane County Cougars next time you're in Illinois. You'll have more spare time to do that once you are banished and can't post on this forum. What a first class Chi-burb minor league team. I attended a game there four years ago, had a great time, and didn't have to take out a home equity loan to do it).

And to Mr. Smith: For a Series sweep, it was one of the best. The Astros were in every game. Now, please, please, do something about the stadium name.

Posts: 445 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Zephyr, please post your guess of the numbers to the next Lotto.

Thanks... I'm looking forward to my 3 weeks on the American Orient Express vacation, after I win.

And if I win big, how does "Mike's Ballpark" sound?

Tanner929
Member # 3720

Rate Member
Last thoughts on the World Series. Disappointing TV Ratings but most series do not grab the general public until a game 6 is played. AND this big congrats to FOX Sports, This is the first World Series where the fans on the West Coast fell asleep before the game ended. I'm not a TV executive but, I know Prime Time is 8p-11p est 7-10p cst and that is the biggest audience, but again wouldn't it be good if the games start at 4-5-6 p the best part of the game would be played in prime time not during Jimmy Kimmel.
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First I learned that TV ratings were a problem was reading this piece in The Times while seated at the coffee house's "table with a view' (half-hour @730A: four freights, one METRA; thank you BNSF).

My second learning was reading Mr. Tanner's posting.

Needless to say, I doubt if many Chicagoans were aware of any such problems.

Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ira Slotkin
Member # 81

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ira Slotkin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suspect that the ratings are much different in the NEC. Watchership is much more prevalent in the densely populated megalopolis from DC to Boston, however it is also more costly to broadcast there. I might be that were we to separate out the cost of broadcasting to this area we would see that the rest of the country, with its many minor league teams and high school baseball teams and AAA league teams really support the FOX network in the NEC, and that the smaller outlets - such as Cuba and the Dominican Republic - provide much of the resources for the popularity of the cross country trains. Or something. Build it and they will ride...

Ira mixing my metaphors with tongue firmly planted in cheek, and with freight train whistles haunting the morning air here in Denver.

Posts: 300 | From: Denver, CO USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeeCT
Member # 3241

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeeCT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Oh and did you know, The New York Times Corporation ownes a piece of The Boston Red Sox."

You are correct Tanner -
The New York Times outright owns the Boston Globe (and Worcester Telegram). The Globe in turn has a partnership share(s) in the Boston Red Sox and NESN (New England Sports Network).

Train related?? ---- Well the Globe is now running supportive articles for the Fenway Neighborhood redevelopment - which includes new/upgraded transit (subway) link to the Fenway Park neighborhood. Just think in the future we will be able to Acela it to Boston - walk across the waiting room and down the hall - hop onto the MTA and be at Fenway in the wink of an eye. (Well maybe a little longer.) However I note your New Haven location and suspect your team loyalties may lie to the west not east. (The train goes there too -- lol)
Dee

Posts: 460 | From: North Central CT | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tanner929
Member # 3720

Rate Member
Mr Norman the advantage you have is being in the central time zone your games start at 7:45 still later then a regular season game but tolarable, if the game doesnt run for 5 hours. What we in the east get angry when, as in 2000 the two NY Teams are playing in the Series and the games are starting at 8:30 an hour and a half later then regular season start times. Dee yes my loyalties look to the west I was born in NYC. New Haven is the demarkation line for NY/BOS and of course you realize that New England doesn't begin until you reach of the end of the Metro North New Haven Line, its true. Lets keep this going, can we get to 100 replies.
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Mr. Tanner--

There was so much excitement here when people realized after first round the Sox were still standing, the games could have started at midnight without any effect upon local ratings.

GBN
formerly; Riverside CT

Ira Slotkin
Member # 81

Member Rated:
Well, gee Tanner. This is off the baseball topic, but taking a swing at getting back to trains.. more trainku:

Lest I miss the moon
The California Zephyr
Shakes me from my bed

In the lounge car
I stretch and watch the landscape
Contrails high above

I forgot to check
Walking to the dining car:
Is the seat belt sign off?

How many are we up to?

Ira

Tanner929
Member # 3720

Rate Member
But think of the children who only know baseball from the EA gameboy. Tis no way to build a business. It was alot easier to sneak a transistor radio into 5th grade then it is to stay awake for the 7th inning stretch these days.
Railroad Bob
Member # 3508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Railroad Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Silver rails, talking wires,
Black cross ties and the hoboes fires,
Lawd I got the down home summertime blues..."*

Oops, I forgot--it's November already. The 91 degree day we had on Halloween fooled me here in east San Diego county.

*Imagery by Norman Blake

zephyr
Member # 1651

Hey, Railroad Bob, good to have you back. I was getting worried that you actually were banished from this forum for starting this thread.

Nice poem (though a sleezy segue to bragging about the weather around Sandy Eggo). And on the subject of poetry, check this out: www.cosmicbaseball.com/slotkinpoe.html

Nice piece of writing, albeit by a Dodgers fan (and there's my tie to rail: as Ira knows, the Dodgers are called that because Brooklyn fans had to risk life and limb dodging trolleys to get to the park. The original team name, Trolley Dodgers, was just shortened to Dodgers).

Railroad Bob
Member # 3508

Right Zephyr, sometimes even when Sandy Claws comes, it's still warm in Sandy Eggo. But I spend part of my time in the Midwest so I still get the coolish winters. I am not far from the gentleman from Clarendon Hills, at MP 18.34. I hope to meet him someday and watch the Dinky parade with him from his cozy coffee house... [Smile]
zephyr
Member # 1651

Yeh, it would be nice to have a cup of coffee with our resident of BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.34. If you're fortunate enough to get the chance, please share how a young boy subjected to the unusual form of parental punishment of "reading-to" of the New York Times turns out. Does he twitch? Foam at the mouth? Speak in tongues? Enquiring minds want to know.

And how did you like the writings of our very own Ira Slotkin? I really liked it. Makes me want to learn more about the Cosmic Baseball Association. Wonder what season ticket prices are?

Oh, and any more bragging about the weather in Sandy Eggo, we up here in the High Sierra's are gonna cut off your water.

Ira Slotkin
Member # 81

Member Rated:
Hey zephyr. Thanks for the poetry plug and the appreciation!! Wrote that piece about 5 years ago. Poetry is my second line of work and my first love. How did you find your way to the CBA site? It is a marvelous spiritual, intellectual, fun and thought provoking site. Not as active as a few years ago.

NOTE TO THE RAILYARD DETECTIVES: There is a powerful piece there about the underground railway (whew... got it in).

I found it a few years ago when doing some research on Casey at the Bat prior to writing song parodies for a children's theater production based on the poem.

NOTE TO JONATHON: there's a picture on the CBA site at the end of my poem so you can see what I look like. If you'd like to start a train poetry section of your website, you are welcome to start with my trainku above.

Ira

Railroad Bob
Member # 3508

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Railroad Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by zephyr:

Oh, and any more bragging about the weather in Sandy Eggo, we up here in the High Sierra's are gonna cut off your water.

Pull that plug, and you will cut off Los Angeles, not San Diego. We get our water from the brown, muddy and saline-y Colorado River. But I do remember the "water wars" of the 30s, the Owens Valley and the redoubtable Bill Mulholland, who did the Deed...
[Wink]

Tanner929
Member # 3720

Rate Member
How many days until pitchers and catchers?

Was Bill Mulhollands deed what inspired "Shes my daughter <slap!> She's my sister <slap> or was it vice versa?

name that movie.

Ira Slotkin
Member # 81

Member Rated:
Chinatown!!
DeeCT
Member # 3241

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeeCT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[How many days until pitchers and catchers?]

Far too many !!!!

Thankfully, here in CT the UConn Huskies (Men and Women) basketball teams go into action next week to help fill the interim.

Dee

Posts: 460 | From: North Central CT | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page