RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Amtrak Food Suppliers

Author Topic: Amtrak Food Suppliers
MontanaJim
Member # 2323

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MontanaJim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is there a national company that supplies Amtrak with many of its meals? Ive heard on this website something about a company called Gate Gourment.

Ive heard that the EB gets restocked in Havre by a local company. Anyone know who this company is?

Posts: 416 | From: St. Albans, Vermont | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Correct Mr Montana Jim; the Amtrak commissaries have been contracted out to a Swiss concern, Gate Gourmet (wish I knew how tey would expect anyone to 'swallow' that tradename), however, they likely could have contracts with purveyors en-route for 'top off'resupplies.

Sometimes, en route resupply means the employee in charge hopping in a taxicab at a service stop and heading off to a local supermarket to stock up, however Amtrak may have realized that there could be economies resulting in letting formal contracts for such.

While there is likely conjecture on this point, Amtrak recently killed food service aboard local NY-Albany trains. The trains'schedule called for the supply point to be Albany, but there is anecdotal discussion that abuses by Gate Gourmet (overcharges; supply of out of date food product, et al) were a factor in Amtrak's decision.

There is other evidence about these folk are "not exactly' nice guys, as they were the concern prompting last summer's job action at London Heathrow/ This action did a good job of crippling flight operations of several large overseas carriers (apparently, food is required on such, at least for the flight crews).

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The remnants of the Gate Gourmet fiasco at Heathrow linger even now. Disputes over the sacking of hundreds of mostly foreign (Asian) workers led strikes by the remainder, plus strikes by BA ground staff, causing BA to cancel all flights for 48 hours. First they restored flights with a water-only service for a few weeks, then full meals on long haul flights, then some short haul flights. They currently still only serve a limited service on some European flights.

Even in-bound flights to LHR were affected because GG staff unload the dirty crockery, so as they were on strike, they couldn't load the flight at either end.

GG is owned by Texas Pacific - which appears to be one of these global conglomerates which does nothing productive except buy and sell companies in which they invest money.

This is the third year in a row BA flights have been seriously disrupted in August - albeit for varying reasons - but I for one will be avoiding BA during August.

Geoff M.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is my understanding that Amtrak plans to drop Gate Gourmet as soon as the current contract expires, due to unsatisfactory service.
Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Toy, does this mean that Amtrak would change its national dining car menus?

Also, I believe this:
SweetStreet Online Wholesale Bakery Dist.

is the Chocolate Bundt Amtrak serves in the dining car, its really good and I googled the description in the dining car menu and that came up.

Also, the Coast Starlight pastries in the Paciifc Parlour car are provided by Ednas (www.ednas.com)

Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
travelplus
Member # 3679

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for travelplus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually Gate Gourmet supplies airlines with their meals. The meal y ou get on Amtrak is comparable to a first/business class meal on the plane. You can visit gategourmet.com
Posts: 259 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kairho
Member # 1567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kairho   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
>The meal you get on Amtrak is comparable to a first/business class meal on the plane.

Hehehe ... that's what they would like you to believe!

In practice an Amtrak meal (dining car) would be more like a low end business class meal such as on Sabena or Delta. These days, it's difficult for even top restaurants to meet the first class standards offered up by the likes of the major Asian airlines and some of the European carriers. Even the couple of African carriers I've had the pleasure to be on in business class have lovely meals which surpass the Deltas and Amtrak.

[I should add that I can afford only coach class but I'm in the tour business and often get upgraded when on real business. I earn a lot of frequent flyer miles, too, which are hoarded and spent only on business or first class. Alas, my trip to Asia later in the month is fully recreational and thus in the back of the bus.]

Posts: 363 | From: Southwest North Central Florida | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
> Actually Gate Gourmet supplies airlines with their meals.

Yes. As noted already.

> The meal y ou get on Amtrak is comparable to a first/business class meal on the plane. You can visit gategourmet.com

I disagree with that. While the Amtrak food is usually hearty and flavoursome, it is hardly worthy of business class and certainly not first class. Presentation and decent veg is something that Amtrak lacks.

I noticed that UK trains (or at least Great Western) are supplied by RailGourmet. I can't tell if that is the same as GateGourmet. RailGourmet is owned by the Compass Group which also owns Burger King, Cafe Ritazza (coffee shop), Upper Crust (sandwiches, also known as Rubber Crust), and Sbarro... all of which can be found on UK railway stations. Ho hum, what an incestuous world we live in.

Geoff M.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
abefroman329
Member # 3986

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for abefroman329     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rubber Crust?! I have to get my cheese-and-tomato baguette fix every time I visit your island.
Posts: 76 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I second Mr. Norman's request. Long naked links don't wrap causing the page to spill way off the screen. UBB code will make it look right again.

quote:
Originally posted by CoastStarlight99:
Mr. Toy, does this mean that Amtrak would change its national dining car menus?

Might have that effect, I don't know. Different suppliers might be able to duplicate the menu.

quote:
Also, the Coast Starlight pastries in the Paciifc Parlour car are provided by Ednas (www.ednas.com)
I've never been impressed with the Parlour Car's pastries. Reminds me of something you'd get from an office building cafeteria.
Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On my last Starlight trip I was told that the cheesecake is Sara Lee. I'd like to know who supplies the Chocolate Pyramid. It's very good and much lighter than you might think.

Frank in cool SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Norman, thank you...I will refer to that link the next time I copy a link. [Smile]
Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Mr. Starlight--

Incidentially, the same protocol is supported over at both railroad.net and trainorders.

Learn it once, and you are "good to go" at the three "majors'.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page