RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Amfleet vs Heritage

Author Topic: Amfleet vs Heritage
MontanaJim
Member # 2323

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MontanaJim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is Amfleet II used on most long distance routes? Are the diners on the crescent and other eastern trains heritage, i.e refurbished old time passenger train diners?

How do the heritages and amfleet coaches compare as far as window size, chair size, legroom, etc?

Are there any heritage coaches or sleepers in use today?

I also miss the days of the slumbercoaches. I think Amtrak needs to give single travelers an affordable option for sleepers. Right now single travellers like me have to book a whole room, thats too expensive for many of us.

Posts: 416 | From: St. Albans, Vermont | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On eastern routes you'll see heritage fleet era equipment being used as baggage cars, crew dormitories, and diners on the Crescent, Lake Shore, and two Silver Service trains. Standard consist (if there is such a thing) for these trains would be a baggage car, a dormitory car, two or three viewliner sleepers, heritage diner, amfleet lounge, and three to five amfleet coaches.

No heritage coaches are still used in Amtrak service EXCEPT on the 'Piedmont', North Carolina DOT's Raleigh-Charlotte train. In this case, the cars are owned by the state of North Carolina and were refurbished specifically for use on this train. These coaches were built new for the Kansas City Southern in the mid-1960's and seem to have some life left in them.

The heritage cars have much nicer windows and are a pleasure to ride if sightseeing is what you have in mind. I miss them and, like you, would like a more affordable sleeping accomodation for the single traveler.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember the one and only time I rode an Amfleet car in 1976. I was unimpressed, having been accustomed to the spaciousness of what are now called "heritage" cars. Though there were many similarities in layout, the windows on the Amfleet were much smaller, and the tube shape felt less open. Superliner coaches give me a similar impression as the Amfleet, by the way.

--------------------
The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
espeefoamer
Member # 2815

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for espeefoamer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have ridden an Amfleet II coach on the train from Jacksonville to Tampa.They are comfortable and roomy.This car had movie screens every few rows.They are MUCH better than AmfleetI.I,too,miss Slumbercoaches.They were an economical way to avoid trying to sleep in coach.Sleeper fares are way too high for us single travellers [Mad] .

--------------------
Trust Jesus,Ride Amtrak.
Check out the NEW Western Rail
http://rrredneck.proboards99.com./index.cgi

Posts: 288 | From: Fullerton,ca,USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As others have noted, apart from the Piedmont's rebuilt Kansas City Southern cars, the remaining pre-Amtrak Budd and Pullman Standard coaches (which Amtrak's marketing department dubbed "Heritage" cars) were yanked from service a couple of years ago.

However, the smooth-sided, single-level Horizon coaches (currently used on several Eastern routes) bear a more-than passing resemblance to the old cars.

With their single-pane windows and squared-off interiors, the Horizons seem both brighter and far more spacious than the gloomy, claustrophobic-when-crowded Amfleets. Not long ago, a number of the cars were refurbished for business/long-distance use, with "enhanced" leg room (including leg rests) and power outlets at each seat.

The only downside to the Horizons is their interior fluorescent lighting -- harsh, glaring, and merciless. If Amtrak simply installed more passenger-friendly illumination, the cars would be perfectly suitable for overnight travel. And with their boxy interiors, I wouldn't mind seeing the Horizon design form the basis for Amtrak's next generation of sleeping cars.

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jgart56
Member # 3968

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jgart56     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I sometimes wonder if Amtrak should do what VIa Rail does: meals are not included with the Sleeper and you pay for what you eat in the diner.

I admit it's been a few years since I rode Via, but the sleeper prices were less expensive and I think not paying for the food had something to do with it.

On the other hand, maybe Amtrak could come up with a two tier system: a separate price for sleeper and meals vs. just paying for the sleeper.
Nah, it would probably be too hard to keep track of. I can dream though, can't I?

Posts: 171 | From: Aurora, Illinois | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
abefroman329
Member # 3986

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for abefroman329     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jgart56:
I sometimes wonder if Amtrak should do what VIa Rail does: meals are not included with the Sleeper and you pay for what you eat in the diner.

I admit it's been a few years since I rode Via, but the sleeper prices were less expensive and I think not paying for the food had something to do with it.

On the other hand, maybe Amtrak could come up with a two tier system: a separate price for sleeper and meals vs. just paying for the sleeper.
Nah, it would probably be too hard to keep track of. I can dream though, can't I?

Great idea; would make the sleepers much more attractive to those leaving at/after dinner and arriving at/before breakfast. Not that they seem to have much trouble selling accommodations with the system as it is...

Two-tier system wouldn't be difficult; it would be noted on your ticket, and the conductor or sleeping car attendant could give you meal coupons at the start of your trip.

Posts: 76 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Building the meals into the Sleeping Car rate is probably the most economical way to address the high, yet necessary, cost of on-board food service.

The one area that I am surprised that Amtrak chose not to follow through upon is making the Dining Car cash-free.

Alcoholic beverage sales could be controlled through the adjacent Lounge car where unit accountability is in place. Coach passengers desiring to partake of a Dining Car meal could purchase a "meal ticket' on board or preferably from a ticket agent.

Had this been done, only the food could "grow legs', at least the $$$ would be safeguarded.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page