RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Rare mileage detour dream trips

Author Topic: Rare mileage detour dream trips
CG96
Member # 1408

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for CG96     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok. I posted this in another thread. Notelvis has indicated his desire to travel over the BN between La Crosse, WI, and Aurora, Il, as well as Tennessee Pass in Colorado. Some of my dream detours would be over the CP or the CN routes that skirt the north shore of Lake Superior (complete with a stop at Thunder Bay or Atikokan for a few days of wilderness canoeing [Big Grin] [Big Grin] ), the ex-CNW route of the 400s between Milwaukee and Saint Paul, as well as Tenn. Pass. Another dream trip would be to get on the first Empire Builder that goes via Madison, WI.

So here's my question: If the members of the forum here had to pick a line upon which they would like to have a rare mileage detour, what line would it be?

The choices are limited to lines that are currently in service, or existing, but shut down.

--------------------
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one corner of the Earth all one's life."

Posts: 506 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd also like to ride the former Pennsy from
Perryville, MD to Harrisburg, PA. The tri-weekly DC section of Amtrak's National Limited used this route for a time in the mid-70's.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRCHINA
Member # 1514

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRCHINA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The former Rio Grande over La Veta Pass between Alamosa and Walsenburg Colorado is remote and very beautiful. This was the standard guage access to the narrow Guage line toward Durango. The Cumbres and Toltec Scenic is only 35 miles beyond Alamosa at Antonito, CO. The American Orient Express did this one, I think, in the past year. Can anyone confirm the AOE trip?
Posts: 467 | From: Prescott, AZ USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ex-Northern Pacific through the badlands at Medora, ND and up the Yellowstone River through Billings and Missoula to Spokane.

Feather River.

Tennessee Pass would include the Royal Gorge, which now has a sightseeing train. The pass itself has been closed for a long time due to some damage at the tunnel. Can anyone confirm it is reopened.

Also the Empire Builder was recently re-routed over the BNSF from Chicago to St. Paul for some trackwork.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by notelvis:
I'd also like to ride the former Pennsy from
Perryville, MD to Harrisburg, PA. The tri-weekly DC section of Amtrak's National Limited used this route for a time in the mid-70's.

Rode that eastbound with family in about 1975. One through coach plus one added at Harrisburg, very few people, hauled by a GG1. All stops after Harrisburg were discharge only. We got to DC about 30 minutes EARLY.

My dream would be either the Tennessean route - Memphis Chattanooga - Bristol - Roanoke - Lynchburg - Washington or the Kansas City - Florida Special route - Kansas City - Memphis - Birmingham - Atlanta - Jacksonville, then run ti through to Miami

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve O.
Member # 2993

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve O.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did the Royal Gorge sightseeing train and it was amazing. So I can only imagine that doing the whole Tennessee Pass route would be a great experience.

I was on the Zephyr last year to Chicago and we had to take the UP from OMA to CHI via Ames due to track flooding. The best part of the route was the crossing of the Kate Shelley High Bridge.

--------------------
Good morning America, how are ya?

44,950 Amtrak rail miles traveled since August 18, 2003.

Posts: 135 | From: Atlanta, GA / New Orleans, LA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Denver-Trinidad-Texas along the Front Range.

Omaha-Billings on BNSF through the Nebraska Sand Hills and Wind River Canyon.

Additional info about Royal Gorge and Tennessee Pass: the mountain scenery in between these is some of the most spectacular in the country. Most of Colorado's 14,000 foot peaks are fully visible from the tracks as they wind up the Arkansas River valley.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TwinStarRocket:
Denver-Trinidad-Texas along the Front Range.
Additional info about Royal Gorge and Tennessee Pass: the mountain scenery in between these is some of the most spectacular in the country. Most of Colorado's 14,000 foot peaks are fully visible from the tracks as they wind up the Arkansas River valley.

I drove that route Leadville to Salida in a rental car in June 2004......an absolutely spectacular afternoon. I rode the Cumbres & Toltec the following day and the Royal Gorge excursion train the day after that.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page