RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » California Zephyr ??

Author Topic: California Zephyr ??
passengertrainlover
Member # 3799

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for passengertrainlover   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone taken the California Zephyr from Sacramento to Chicago before. Planning another trip across the country in sept 2006. How is the scenery along the way.

Thanks
passengertrainlover
http://members.cox.net/passengertrainlover

Posts: 12 | From: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grandma Judy
Member # 3278

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Grandma Judy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Probably the prettiest train trip in the US, but if the train is running late you may miss some of the Rockies just before Denver because it will be dark. If you have a choice, take the Zephyr westbound instead.
Posts: 122 | From: Milwaukee, WI USA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of the routes I've taken, I think it is the loveliest too--not that others aren't gorgeous as well. I took it westbound, in summer.
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mary_228
Member # 3826

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mary_228   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took it eastbound in June 2005 as far as Denver. We made it to the Moffat tunnel in daylight and even the city of Denver before dark despite being 2 hours late.

The first, great views are the Sierra Nevadas and Donner Lake. You can see the back/or front of the train on many curving stretches and there was a commentator from the CA State RR Museum on board as far as Reno who was great.

Then you have impressive and otherworldly views of the desert. Nightime through most of Utah, but if you wake up early you can see snow capped mountains near Provo. Daylight for the Colorado River canyons. These mountains are pretty tame compared to the Sierras. Finally you reach the Moffat Tunnel and from there the views are places you can't see by car, such as the reservoir that supplies Denver with water. The view of the city as you come down from the mountains is spectacular.

If you go westbound, I believe it hits Denver about 7pm and most of the Rockies will be in the dark.

Posts: 72 | From: Illinois | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To Mary and Passenger Train Lover - actually the westbound California Zephyr gets to Denver in the AM (7:15 AM in the new winter '05-06 timetable), so the trip through the Rockies is all daylight.
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page