RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » New Entertainemnt onboard Auto Train

Author Topic: New Entertainemnt onboard Auto Train
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Auto Train Debuts Pre-programmed Portable Entertainment System

This looks rather intereasting.

Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With fifteen Auto Train passages made over the years (one aboard the private sector operation), this innovation will be a relief.

I can think of several occasions that I found myself in the company of interesting people having worthwhile discussion....now it is time for the movie...party's over.

On my two trips this year on AT, I didn't even go to the Lounge...didn't need to be bombarded out of it by "Shrek 2' or whatever mindless "production' they saw fit to "air'.

The press release did not note whether these "gizmos' are to be passed out complimentary or whether they will be rented. I guess if they are to be collected prior to destination, there are not too many opportunities for the units to "grow legs'.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
archriker
Member # 4082

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for archriker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"The units will be available for rental at both stations for $19 for the entire one-way trip."
Posts: 6 | From: Jacksonville Beach, FL | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reich
Member # 2564

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for reich     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They have these Digeplayers on Midwest Airlines longer flights out of Milwaukee and Kansas City. They rent them for $10 per flight, and for $2 more you get a second set of earphones and a splitter. Seemed to be pretty popular.
Posts: 15 | From: Mke, WI, USA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grandma Judy
Member # 3278

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Grandma Judy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alaska Airlines also has them. You can reserve yours when you buy your ticket to be sure they don't run out. Only problem is they collect them about 1/2 hour before landing & you may miss the end of something you watching. I would think these would be a good choice for the Auto Train.
Posts: 122 | From: Milwaukee, WI USA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would guess the concern, Ms. Judy, aboard an aircraft is that the "movie boxes' are collected and stowed before the approach from (usually) FL10 to "touchdown', or basically before the flight is "handed off' from 'center' to "local approach control'.

I can't recall ever watching an in-flight movie, and as I noted earlier, I consider Amtrak on-board movies to be an intrusion, even though I can and do walk away from them. I have been on flights when my perfect air sightseeing day has been interrupted by some Flight Attendant announcing it is time to close your shades. I once had to listen to "Sir, please close your shade NOW, you are not being fair to those who have paid to watch the movie'.

I guess she had a point - and those headset rentals are a 'revenue center' for United et al.

So much for my view of following the Colorado from Grand Canyon to at least Lake Powell (flight was LAS-ORD).

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you, Mr. Norman!

There is so much facinating ground down there in a lot of this world, why waste your time on some mindless drivel out of Hollywood? Japan to Minneapolis takes you over some of the most facinating - and empty of people - country on this planet. I always try to get a window seat, preferably NOT over the wing, which on a 747 is about half of them unless you are in Business or First, and unless you traveling on business, and not your own dollar or the "home leave" ticket you are in the cheap seats. Of course if people really wanted to see the world go by, there would be major rebellion at 10 across seating.

George

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Gilbert on this -- I feel that movies onboard trains are an intrusion -- one of the reasons I ride trains is to sit and watch the scenery go by, and I usually spend my time videotaping the scenes out the windows. Movies on board AMTRAK are ALWAYS played WAY too loud, which interrupts my video, so more often than not I have to go back into my sleeper room, where I can only see and videotape the scenery out one side of the train.

Same for airplanes -- I agree with George on that. I too always ask for window seats NOT over the wings on airliners (but rarely get them), and I too get annoyed when I have to close the shades so other people can watch the in-flight movie.

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RRRICHA, I agree, the movies are very loud, but hard to hear at the same time. The only exception is the movie theatre onboard the Coast Starlight.
Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
4021North
Member # 4081

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4021North     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RRRICH:
Movies on board AMTRAK are ALWAYS played WAY too loud,

I agree, only it's not just Amtrak's movies that are too loud, it's just about every public address announcement I've heard on a plane or train over the last five years. It seems to me that they could keep it to the level of a normal human voice. Set it loud enough for most people to hear, but not so loud that it's physically uncomfortable to listen to.

quote:
Posted by Gilbert B. Norman:
I have been on flights when my perfect air sightseeing day has been interrupted by some Flight Attendant announcing it is time to close your shades.

Me too, and it doesn't seem necessary, especially since the screens are bright enough to see even with windows open.
Posts: 144 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grandma Judy
Member # 3278

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Grandma Judy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The thing with those individual players is that people who'd rather watch movies don't interfere with those of us who would rather look at the scenery. I, too, have been annoyed at being asked on planes to pull the window shade down when I'd rather look at the view (on Air Canada Vancouver to Toronto). The individual players have earphones and don't require any darkening of the cabin/car. On 4 flights on Alaska Airlines, I have never rented one of the things, but I can see they are preferable to making everyone watch an old movie in a darkened cabin.
Posts: 122 | From: Milwaukee, WI USA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EmpireBuilder
Member # 2036

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for EmpireBuilder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tend to view the movies on board in a sort of two-fold manner. In a Superliner, they are annoying when done on the upper level. However, for some reason they seem to add a bit to the atmosphere on the lower level in the lounge. Sounds a bit unusual, I know, but that was the way it seemed to me.

Also, I've never been on a flight that had a movie on it, but I would be upset to be ordered to close the window shade, since the view is the best and only good part of the trip. I especially enjoy the challenge of trying to figure out what area we're flying over at the time based at how it looks on maps.

Posts: 97 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page