RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Sunset status?

Author Topic: Sunset status?
Boyce
Member # 2719

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boyce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anybody heard anything new about when the Gulf-coast route might be fixed?
Posts: 113 | From: San Antonio, Texas,USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gp35
Member # 3971

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gp35     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
not until 2006.
Posts: 562 | From: Beaumont Texas | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SunsetLtd
Member # 3985

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SunsetLtd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or later

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Amsunset

www.facebook.com/kevinschillinger

Posts: 250 | From: Texas State University-San Marcos, Texas (Hometown El Paso, TX) | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There were major bridges taken out by Katrina along the Gulf Coast, for example one over a mile long at Bay St. Louis, Mississippi. CSX is having to access New Orleans over NS out of either Birmingham or Meridian. Reconstruction of the bridges and tracks is underway. I would guess sometime about mid-year 2006 the train will be able to return.
Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenchappell
Member # 2245

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kenchappell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I booked the Sunset from Orlando to Los Angeles just 2 weeks before Katrina hit. My departure from Orlando was due to be Thursday 1st June 2006.

Just a week ago I received an Email informing me that the sevice was disrupted (which of course I was aware of) and offering me Orlando / Washington / Chicago / LA. So it looks like the middle of 2006 might still be optimistic for the resumption of the full route

The routing offered was both too expensive and also too late for me to make my flights back to the UK so I settled for flying Orlando to Dallas and picking up the Eagle to LA. Quite interesting speaking to "Julie" from the UK - her voice recognition struggled with my English/Bristolian accent but I eventually got to speak to an agent.

Even with the routing that I settled for, it cost me as they don't just refund/charge the difference, they refund the full original booking (which included WAS to ORL) and recharge the new sum. Fine if there is no currency conversion but I got hit by the difference between the buying and selling rates on the full sums !!

Still that annoyance is small compared to the problems that those in the affected areas suffered.

Posts: 28 | From: Bristol England | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kenchappell:
)I settled for flying Orlando to Dallas and picking up the Eagle to LA.

If your new travel plans have you flying into Dallas a day before your 'Eagle' departs, you'll have an opportunity to sample the Trinity Railway Express commuter trains between Dallas and Ft. Worth as well as the Dallas light rail. Additionally, the 6th Floor Museum (site of the JFK assassination) is a short two block walk from the Dallas railroad station.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kenchappell:
Quite interesting speaking to "Julie" from the UK - her voice recognition struggled with my English/Bristolian accent

Even English people have trouble understanding "ooh-arrr" Bristolian accents!! Only kidding. Anyway, I've had to try to fake an American accent to get her to understand me. "Those Yanks just ain't talking proper!" (or something like that, I can't remember the exact line, from some comedy sketch some time ago).

If your new travel plans have you flying into Dallas a day before your 'Eagle' departs, you'll have an opportunity to sample the Trinity Railway Express commuter trains between Dallas and Ft. Worth as well as the Dallas light rail. Additionally, the 6th Floor Museum (site of the JFK assassination) is a short two block walk from the Dallas railroad station.

Or, try TRE one way and Amtrak the other way - they use different routes.

Geoff M.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenchappell
Member # 2245

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kenchappell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks to David & Geoff for your suggestions for Dallas.

I will be flying into Dallas the day before picking up the Eagle so a little local track mileage will probably be investigated.

Posts: 28 | From: Bristol England | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page