RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Im off (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Im off
MontanaJim
Member # 2323

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MontanaJim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im leaving early thursday morning by bus to whitefish from my hometown in livingston to catch the westbound empire builder to portland, connect same day to southbound starlight, then connect to the eastbound zephyr at sacramento. im keeping my fingers crossed that ill be able to make both connections. ill give a trip report when i get to dc on the 10th.
Posts: 416 | From: St. Albans, Vermont | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well Jim, Amtrak should put the North Coast Limited back on for your convenience'; otherwise 'Good Luck" as I'm fearful you are going to need it .

I recall the NP "Monad" etched into the depot at Livingston.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TALKrr
Member # 683

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TALKrr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jim:

I presume you are connecting to the Capitol Limited in Chicago for your trip to DC.

That is a connection I would also be very concerned about. Personally, I now never schedule a same day connection to the Capitol from ANY western train----simply because chances are very, very slim that the connection can actually be made.

Frankly, given the present state of operational affairs, I think it is absolutely foolish to "guarantee" any connection of less than 6-9 hours. Why waste the time and effort ? As a traveler, I would much rather KNOW in advance that I should "pad" more time in my travel schedule than be dismayed (an under-statement ?) when my planned same day connection is missed. Imagine the money this would actually save Amtrak related to hotel fees and other miscellaneous expenses.

I will never forget the time (a few years back) when Amtrak taxied 7 individuals (including myself) from Harrisburg, PA to Washington, DC to connect with the south-bound Silver Meteor ! I can only imagine what that expense was.

Another "drastic" measure I would take (particularly with trains that regularly are hours off-schedule) is to "pad" these extra hours into the train's regular schedule. Thus, for example, SCHEDULE the Starlate to arrive (south-bound) into LA at 3 AM ; schedule the north-bound Starlate to arrive in Seattle at 5 AM--ectera.

I do not see why this would be difficult or foolish. I say it is only being realistic. Why "dupe" the traveling public into "thinking" they will arrive at a destination at an approximate hour when (in REALITY) that time-frame would most likely be HOURS off ? Is there something that would prohibit Amtrak from doing this ? I presume the freight-lines would oppose this, but so what ? Something has to be done.

This would solve both the same-day connection issue AND the matter of trains arriving hours and hours late.

Just some "food for thought."

Posts: 187 | From: Pittsburgh , PA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good luck, Montana Jim. Keep an open mind and a sense of adventure, and you'll be fine. If something unexpected happens, don't fight the current. Go with the flow.
Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MontanaJim
Member # 2323

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MontanaJim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks for the comments guys. yes, i am connecting to the capitol limited, but if i dont make that, ill accept the lateshore. if all else fails and we are really late into chicago, ill get a nights stay in a hotel at amtraks expense just like i got when i was on my first leg of my trip.

i think i have about a 50 percent chance to make both my portland and sacramento connections. we will see what happens.

Posts: 416 | From: St. Albans, Vermont | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good luck to you, Jim. I'll be looking for the trip report!

Frank in cool and dark SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You have to think positive. For instance, the Zephyr could always be hours late into SAC. Good luck, and I may be following the exciting parts on train status.
Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Best of luck, Jim!
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Today's southbound StarLate only 30 minutes down at Salem, OR. #27 to Portland predicted to arrive on time for Jim at Whitefish tonight. So far, the train gods are smiling.
Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Only 1:15 down at Eugene. Now the drama begins.
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now you've got me checking! At 10:17pm it was down 2:09, and estimated to arrive in Chemult in three minutes.
Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Addendum: Might note that Railforum's clock is ten minutes ahead of mine.

--------------------
The Del Monte Club Car

SunsetLtd
Member # 3985

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SunsetLtd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last report at 11:08pm between Chemult,OR (CMO) and Klamath Falls,OR (KFS) it was running 2 hours and 51 minutes down. Estimated only 1 hour and 21 late into Sacramento.

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Amsunset

www.facebook.com/kevinschillinger

Posts: 250 | From: Texas State University-San Marcos, Texas (Hometown El Paso, TX) | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK.......I'm in.

At 7:44am eastern which is 4:44am pacific, the StarLate is estimated for an 8:17am pacific arrival in Sacramento.

That's just two hours, two minutes late. Plenty of time to squeeze in a trip to the California Railroad Museum and make the 'Zephyr' connection.

Of course this report is an hour old and 8:17am pacific is still three and a half hours off. You know what they say......"Until the train gets there the train ain't got there!"

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Only 2:56 late before Chico. It actually GAINED 3 minutes since the last report!

Assemble the cheering crowds!

notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oooops..........slipping again. Down 3:45 at 7:37am pacific.

Now estimated to arrive Sacramento 2:53 late at 9:08am pacific. Still likely to make the connection to the Zephyr.......assuming the train keeps moving.

--------------------
David Pressley

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Is anyone out there poised to pick Jim up in SAC and drive him to Reno?
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Oh No!

Slipping again.

4:03 late as of 10 minutes ago. Now estimated to arrive in Sacramento 3:15 down at 9:30am pacific.

The connection can still be made but Jim might just have time to grab a soda and a bagel between trains.

BUT the train has got to keep moving and there are lots of potential red signals between Roseville and Sacramento.

--------------------
David Pressley

TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Wow, I didn't realize the 11 went through Roseville. Can Jim climb to the roof and jump to the eastbound Zephyr. They do it in the movies.

#6 due to leave EME in 7 minutes. Someone stall him!

TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Whew! #11 arrived in SAC at 9:39am with an hour and a half to spare. Tune in at CHI for Montana Jim and the Connection of Doom.
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
He made it! He made it! With 95 minutes to spare!

'StarLate' arrived in Sacramento at 9:39 pacific. 3:24 late. 'Zephyr' expected on-time at 11:14am.

I guess we can run a watch on #6 into Chicago on Monday. See you then!

--------------------
David Pressley

SunsetLtd
Member # 3985

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SunsetLtd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like he's going to get extra time in SAC. Zephyr lost nearly around an hour around Davis.

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Amsunset

Posts: 250 | From: Texas State University-San Marcos, Texas (Hometown El Paso, TX) | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two down, one to go. I predict he will make Chicago connection too, but we'll just have to see. At least if he misses that one, he has the Lakeshore to NYC to DC option.
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gibg
Member # 2565

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gibg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is anyone else beside me reminded of the 1956 version of "Around the World in 80 Days" (the Michael Todd production with David Niven) in which the bankers sat around their staid clubs in London following the progress of Phileas Fogg as he circumnavigated the globe? The comparison is right oo, and I hope Montana Jim makes it to a photo finish !!
Posts: 87 | From: Snowmass, CO USA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Well......it's a fun diversion from winter in the Southern Appalachians! Cheaper than booking a sleeper myself and I don't run the risk of missing the connection with my recliner!

Can't wait till the watch on Monday......oh, and the 'Zephyr' departed Reno down an hour ten.

--------------------
David Pressley

Tanner929
Member # 3720

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tanner929     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jim,

Have you ever tried to just jump on a frieght train and get home and back faster and more direct?

Posts: 516 | From: New Haven, CT USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd love to see the look on Jim's face when he reads this thread.
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Toy:
I'd love to see the look on Jim's face when he reads this thread.

The actual trip report is going to have an awful difficult time living up to our expectations!

And for the record, Jim's Zephyr departed Salt Lake City fifteen minutes ago at 4:54am mountain. That's a mere 1:09 late.

--------------------
David Pressley

TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
By tonight at DEN he should be delivered from the evil grasp of UP into the sheltering arms of BNSF.

The #6 just ahead of him was 2 hours late into DEN and is now only 2:22 late by Omaha.

notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Wow!!!!

Jim's Zephyr is expected to arrive in Grand Junction, CO just 29 minutes late.

Might be a good run!

--------------------
David Pressley

sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Today's train (that is, the one coming into Chicago the day before Jim's) is running 3 hours late now in Iowa--not good news! But it's still scheduled to arrive 5:02, in time to the Capitol Ltd; I wonder if it will! Anyway, let's hope Jim's train works out. . . . so far, so good for that one.
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Jim's Zephyr arrived 39 minutes late into Denver but is estimated to be only 2 minutes late into Ft. Morgan at 8:42pm mountain. Still looks pretty promising.

It's now 10:07pm here in the eastern time zone and I'm getting ready for bed (5:45am wake-up call and such). I'll leave it to Mr. Toy and the west coast guys to keep tabs on #6 for a few more hours. I'll be back on the watch about 7:45am eastern.......but won't be back on the forum until 5pm ish eastern.

--------------------
David Pressley

sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Amtrak says it's only about an hour late into Omaha, and due in Chicago early . . . so, still looking good!
Tanner929
Member # 3720

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tanner929     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But will he every return, oh will he ever return, his fate is still un known .... as he rides forever thru the streets of (where is he now?) he's the man who never returned.....

Regards from the Kingston Trio

Posts: 516 | From: New Haven, CT USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well, guys. It now looks like he will make it.As of 1:15 out of Galesburg it is estimated to be 35 minutes late into Chi. After all this I feel as if I should run down to Union station tomorrow with a welcome home sign or brass band or something!!!!
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Hooray!

The train Gods have smiled on Montana Jim once again.

Thanks to heavy schedule padding, #6 arrived 15 minutes ago at 3:50pm central. That's only 45 minutes late in spite of having been 1:47 down at Galesburg.

Not only has Jim made his connection to the 'Capitol Limited' (due out just after 5:00pm central), he might even have time to go to the observation deck of the Sears Tower or consume one of those extremely mediocre Chicago Style pizzas from the eatery above the south side boarding area.

You go Jim! Ride on. Can't wait for the trip report.

--------------------
David Pressley

train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
for those who like barbeque: there is a rib place in the eating court at the station that has an outstanding sauce. It won a prize. We try to stop and get a couple of bottles to take to the kids in Denver and then on the way back for us. In May we tried their shrimp which was excellent. ( and before I hear any complaints remember every area seems to have its own version of barbeque sauce. It's all a matter of taste)
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Montana Jim left Chicago a mere 4 minutes late
so he's on his way to Washington, DC.

Chris

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Yay! It's still 4 minutes early out of Pittsburgh.(And train lady, what is the name of the ribs place?)
SunsetLtd
Member # 3985

Member Rated:
The Amtrak website shows #30 departing CHI on time so this might be a good run, only 7 mins down at TOL.

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Amsunset

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page