RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » First L.A., Now SD??, whats next???

Author Topic: First L.A., Now SD??, whats next???
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No More taking pictures at San Diego Depot, Photography is now banned ther to, and now a Sucirity guard now patrols the Platform, I bet this wouldnt be this way if David Gun were in charge...

--------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

My MySpace

CoastStarlight@Gmail.com

Amtrak Pages WebSite

Posts: 989 | From: DIAMOND BAR CA. U.S. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(Edit) Well I forgot to mension, maybe they need it, On the way home some one tried to get into the Cab Control Car..

--------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

My MySpace

CoastStarlight@Gmail.com

Amtrak Pages WebSite

Posts: 989 | From: DIAMOND BAR CA. U.S. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm, not sure how banning photography would prevent someone from getting into the cab.

I took several photos at San Diego last September, and nobody blinked an eye. We didn't see any security guards, though.

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kiernan
Member # 3828

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kiernan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I find the photography restriction stuff to be fascinating. How long will it take for a good resolution camera to be built into a pair of glasses, right between your eyes, with a little radio transmitter to send the images--even movies--to an iPod-like device in your pocket? It may exist right now. So why is anyone trying to restrict photography? For those of us with cameras, either digital or film, it's obvious when we take pictures. How long will it take for clandestine video to come from inside courtrooms?

--------------------
Kiernan

Posts: 155 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I have said before, this whole ban photography thing is the ultimate silly "look like we are doing something" thing. It is also of highly doubtful constitutionality. It is beyond useless. It is actually counterproductive because the effort spent inforcing this useless and silly requirements would be much better spent elsewhere.

George

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rY.
Member # 3528

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rY.   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I was on the re-routed Tehachapi Coast Starlight, I mentioned the issue of station photography bans to an Amtrak official (not Mr. Gunn) who was along for the ride. He said that he was aware of no company-wide policy and that it sounded like over-zelous station security personnel were making up the rules as they went along. He even pointed out that Amtrak holds regular "picture our train" contests every year!

I should note that I *have* been given a hard time in both Chicago and New York (not Los Angeles...yet). I'm thinking about a trip to Chicago in March; if I go, I will likely write directly to Amtrak to see if I can get a letter expressly outlining the lack (I hope) of a photography ban IN PUBLIC PLACES, or while on the platform WHILE CARRYING A TICKET.

As I understand it, in general, if you meet the above emphasized conditions, photography is *legal*. Of course, they can still ask you to leave... [Frown]

Posts: 108 | From: Culver City, CA, US | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Well, atleast I got a warning in San Diego, and they let me keep my Picture, In L.A. They called the cops on me

--------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

My MySpace

CoastStarlight@Gmail.com

Amtrak Pages WebSite

rrrayinmd
Member # 4148

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rrrayinmd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FWIW on my recent coast to coast round trip on the Cardinal and Empire Builder, I had absolultely no problem taking pictures inside stations (Baltimore, DC, Chicago, Seattle), on platforms, or on the trains anywhere along the line.
Posts: 34 | From: Carroll County, MD | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jgart56
Member # 3968

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jgart56     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will also state again: that a photography ban now is silly because everything "Amtrak" has been photographed and placed up on the internet. Stations, trackage, equipment...all are there. Security in this country is absolutely a joke and a photography ban is an even bigger joke!

Shouldn't we be more worried about our borders (with a spate of recent stories about encroachment in Mexico and Canada)? It's easier and perhaps more fun for "joe security" to hassle "joe photographer" than do real work!

Posts: 171 | From: Aurora, Illinois | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"If you see something, say something'.

A member of the public, such as a paying passenger, observes railfans "in action'. They like a good citizen, notify law enforcement. Law enforcement must respond.

Easiest way to minimize the problem is to apply a little "street law'; 'hassle 'em a bit and they will tell their buddies not to be out standing in view of railroad property taking photographs".

This is the simplest path of least resistance to solve the problem and minimize "calls' from that disturbance. Lawful or not, this is how cops 'solve' problems.

This is very simply why I gave up rail photography over 20 years ago, and when I take my afternoon walk along the BNSF ROW (on Burlington Ave.) between 17.85 (Stough St in W Hinsdale and 18.32 Prospect St in Clarendon Hills) I make it my business to "just keep walking'.

You may have a "right' to take a rail photograph, but in our post 9/11 environment, I think it is unwise to indiscriminately exercise such. It is best to save rail photography for "railroad days' open-house exhibits.

Elsewhere, I'm disappointed to learn that New Jersey Transit withdrew their permits for rail photographers. Such a system enabled law enforcement to make whatever background check on the applicant they deemed necessary and, at the scene, any encounters with Law Enforcement would have been no different than between a game warden and a properly credentialled sportsman.

'Have a nice day, sir, and stay safe".

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would hate to see one of these photos find their way to a cave in Afghanistan. It might be the only thing needed for the evil-doers to carry out their master plan. Once they know what a train looks like, there is no hope for us infidels.
Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amtrak needs to make a black and white policy regarding photography of Amtrak equipment. Until they do, its just ridiculous of them to hassle people when they are not even sure what they are doing wrong.

I am going to continue taking photographs at Los Angeles, but only a few...theres no need to make an invtiation for the security/Amtrak police.

Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Twin Star - do you really think that guy in the "cave in Afghanistan" doesn't know what a train looks like? Or were you being sarcastic?

I am a very strong suporter of Homeland Security, the Patriot Act, and "if you see something, say something," but a ban on rail photography is ridiculous!! Are we now going to ban people taking pictures of cars, buildings, golf courses, city streets, and every other thing? After all, if the terrorists see a picture of something, they might seek it out and destroy it, right?

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert L
Member # 3144

Rate Member
Icon 13 posted      Profile for Robert L     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This whole "picture in a cave" is toooo goood to pass up. If there are any pictures in a cave somewhere, it is a picture of your opponent on a dart board.
But, really I believe both GWB and OBL have pictures of each other in their own private "caves," knowing full well as long as the other is alive and well, so is their cause.
Maybe we should all get back to things on this sight that we all know more about and can work together on = Amtrak and training.

Posts: 39 | From: Detroit, MI, USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course I was being sarcastic, RRRICH. A ban on rail photography IS ridiculous. Railfans can even potentially be valuable observers.

Discussions of what security measures are in place, or how a train can be harmed, are unwise, -on this forum or anywhere else. But photos of trains can do no harm.

If we change our lives or give up freedoms, terrorists have accomplished part of what they intended. But they underestimate the resolve of Americans when their country is threatened.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Home land security was caught spending our tax dollars on vacations in Howia, There getting paid to take Vacations, And I dont think There Traveling Amtrak

--------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

My MySpace

CoastStarlight@Gmail.com

Amtrak Pages WebSite

CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RRRICH:
Twin Star - do you really think that guy in the "cave in Afghanistan" doesn't know what a train looks like? Or were you being sarcastic?

I am a very strong suporter of Homeland Security, the Patriot Act, and "if you see something, say something," but a ban on rail photography is ridiculous!! Are we now going to ban people taking pictures of cars, buildings, golf courses, city streets, and every other thing? After all, if the terrorists see a picture of something, they might seek it out and destroy it, right?

Well said RRRich. I'm with you 100%.
Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
4021North
Member # 4081

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4021North     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I don't really see how questioning people for photographing railroads is out of line with the "see something, say something" policy. You're supposed to report anything remotely suspicious, and that's what seems to me to be the weak point of that policy. We are being conditioned to think as though there are terrorists on every street corner, when there are not. I don't think this helps our security.
Posts: 144 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the case of the usual photographer, "remotely" is somewhat akin to the distance from the sun to Pluto. If it were a normal low key "hi, can I help you" type of approach, yeah maybe, but the apparent normal is more on the order of threats, which is completely out of line.
Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jonathon - where is "Howia?" PLEASE USE SPELL CHECK ON YOUR POSTINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
oh-key doh-khy

--------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

My MySpace

CoastStarlight@Gmail.com

Amtrak Pages WebSite

Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Haven't you heard? It was on CNN. Howia is a new state formed by a merger of Hawaii and Iowa. It was a mutually beneficial economic arrangement. Hawaii benefits by expanding its agricultural base, while Iowa gains from an influx of tourist dollars.

Those poor Homeland Security people Jonathon mentioned thought their junket was to a tropical paradise, but they ended up in a corn field.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wellll......Iowa is Heaven you know......at least in July.

January is another story!

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page