RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » SWC Cars

Author Topic: SWC Cars
Amtrak Rookie
Member # 4251

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amtrak Rookie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi again everyone. Thanks for all your replies on my other posts. Have one other question. Does anyone know how the SWC is laid out? Are sleeping compartments seperated by dining? Observatory cars are located where? Sleepers in front or back of train?
Just curious. Thanks in advance.

Posts: 13 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Usual consist #3

3 P-42 locomotives (3rd unit sometimes B-32)
Baggage
T-Dorm in crew service
Sleeper 0331
Sleeper 0330
Diner
Lounge
Coach 0310
Coach 0311
Coach 0312
2-3 Express Trak Cars

The Diner is always placed next to the Sleepers on the Chief

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amtrakwine
Member # 4265

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for amtrakwine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought that they were down to 2 locomotives since Amtrak got out of the express freight buisines. Do they still run the express trak cars?
Posts: 22 | From: Austin Texas | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PaulB
Member # 4258

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for PaulB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amtrak couldn't get out of a particular contract involving the ExpressTrak reefers. So you will see them in regular service for some time.

The Southwest Chief is usually 3 locomotives. With 2 locomotives, if one broke down, the other couldn't handle the train, and BNSF got tired of supplying rescue engines.

Posts: 286 | From: Knee deep in the retention tank | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Usually the westbound #3 Chiefs have about 3 ExpressTrak cars. I have never seen them on #4 eastbound.
Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CoastStarlight99:
Usually the westbound #3 Chiefs have about 3 ExpressTrak cars. I have never seen them on #4 eastbound.

Unless they are all making a one way trip to China until the last one is gone, they gotta get back east somehow.
Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On my last trip LAX/ABQ on the SWC my sleeper was the last car on the train, behind all of the coaches and in front of two or three freight cars. It was a long walk to the diner.

Frank in cool, sunny SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PaulB
Member # 4258

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for PaulB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, that's the 332/432 car if I remember correctly. Amtrak freed up a few sleeping cars, so they can run 3 sleeping cars on certain sets of the Southwest Chief.
My mom and I were in that car on our way out to Chicago. It was a bit of a walk through 3 coaches and the lounge, but the good thing was it was isolated and quiet back there. It was also a Superliner I, which I like much better than the II's.

Posts: 286 | From: Knee deep in the retention tank | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page