RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Lake Shore Gets a Temporary Makeover

Author Topic: Lake Shore Gets a Temporary Makeover
Italiancanuck89
Member # 1873

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for Italiancanuck89     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Train 48 for the 14th when coming through Buffalo was all Superliner equipment due to an equipment shortage. It's supposed come back through as 49 on the 15th.
Posts: 115 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"All change at Albany (Rensselaer)" ? ? ?
Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jgart56
Member # 3968

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jgart56     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
George,

That would be my guess too.

No way those Superliners make it to NYC!

Posts: 171 | From: Aurora, Illinois | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
abefroman329
Member # 3986

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for abefroman329     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can they run Superliners into South Station? I assume so, given the fact that MBTA uses bi-level cars.
Posts: 76 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Superliner equipment will operate CHI-ALB only, it cannot operate either to Penn or to South Station (clearances approaching BOS and hi-level platforms.

A coach only connection will operate NYP-ALB. This is probably the first day in 150 years that it will not be possible to travel New York to Chicago on one through train.

Albany still has low level platforms in service; apparently Rochester, Styrcuse, Utica, and Schnectady all have short pieces of low level platforms at which the train will make a double or even triple stop.

Great for tinekeeping, folks.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jgart56
Member # 3968

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jgart56     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alert: Money needed for more new equipment!!
Posts: 171 | From: Aurora, Illinois | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bill613a
Member # 4264

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bill613a     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just how "temporary" is this makeover? One can still travel New York to Chicago on a through train (The Cardinal) albeit tri-weekly.
Posts: 37 | From: LAKEWOOD, OHIO | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, Bill613, the Cardinal has had some curtailments during this equipment availability situation. I have seen reports that on some trips it has had no Sleeping car service and/or has been terminated at Wash.

I'm have no knowledge if any trips have been annulled in their entirety.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is causing the equipment availability problem this time around? Is it Viewliner sleepers failing in winter weather again?

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amtrak207
Member # 1307

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amtrak207     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And the consist was....
92 (phase 5 early with high stripe)
1756 (Ex-NP three-panel)
34085 (IVb)
34088 (IV)
33024 (IVb)
38030 (IV)
32011 (IVb)
39024 (IVb) (transition- low level end rearward)

Superliners are just as long as 85-foot Amfleet II coaches, and both times the train made one and only one stop in Schenectady. I can assume the same happened in places with much longer platforms, as is typical, unless the weather's rotten or the passenger has special needs or they have a whole bunch of sleepers getting on.

As for the cause, this was a one-time thing. Enough equipment has been bad-ordered to require cancellation of the Star multiple times last week (pre-snow). Apparently the shortage is centered in the not-so-revenue cars like baggage, dorm, dining, and lounge cars. It's just the usual Amtrak. I for one am extremely happy to see the Superliners (last time I rode one was in 1992... air springs CHI-STL...) because they could have easily canceled the entire train and run bus substitution.

The last time the Lakeshore ran Superliners was August 5, 1994. I didn't see that one. However, after the Star derailed in May 2003, the Lakeshore ran with whatever rolled, meaning lots of Horizon equipment and no lounge... You get the idea. August 5, 1994.

Posts: 391 | From: Schenectady | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Italiancanuck89
Member # 1873

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Italiancanuck89     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Supposedly some internal auditors started taking a lot of equipment out of service because they claimed it wasn't "road worthy." I believe the Florida trains have been cancelled for almost a week.

I took the LSL from SYR to BUF. An initial stop was made at Syracuse for bags and engineer change. Then they pulled it down to the west end of the platform, where there is in fact a section of low-level platform, for the coach people then once again for sleepers. After SYR, there isn't a problem as far as platforms. It was nice ride. My opinion is that they run smoother and it's nice and dim when it comes to trying to sleep at night.
I wouldn't mind seeing this happen again but it is less than likely to ever occur for reasons other than equipment or weather.

Posts: 115 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SubwayNut
Member # 3948

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SubwayNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw the Boston connection from the Vermonter in Palmer, Mass on the 15th, It was the usual a baggage and 3 Amfleets.

--------------------
Visit my trains and subways website: www.subwaynut.com (It has more then just subways!)

Posts: 38 | From: Manhattan, NY/Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PaulB
Member # 4258

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for PaulB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The equipment shortages are due to a surprise FRA inspection that happened (I think) last week. The inspection took place in New York, and a lot of equipment failed.

I think that some equipment will be out for a while. I don't know what specifically the FRA looked at, but I bet a lot of the stuff is not "off the shelf" types of components.

Posts: 286 | From: Knee deep in the retention tank | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jgart56
Member # 3968

Member Rated:
I think that some equipment will be out for a while. I don't know what specifically the FRA looked at, but I bet a lot of the stuff is not "off the shelf" types of components.

That's exactly what David Gunn said in his "Trains" interview last Fall: many components had to be specially ordered. I was worried about this happening and now it comes true. I note that in the Chicago Amtrak yards, there are only Superliners present. I would imagine the single level cars are really stretched thin!

I have the pessimistic feeling, that Amtrak is about to fail, not for lack of money, but for lack of equipment and parts. Won't that make the Amtrak Board happy.

PaulB
Member # 4258

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for PaulB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In Amtrak's defense, it is uneconomical to stock some parts because they are bulky or do not need to be changed out often (or both).

I work in the power systems industry, and it takes quite a while to get parts, because almost every installation is different. I can't call up Kohler Generators and say "I need a 150 KW generator" and have them say "Sure, let me grab one from the warehouse, slap a UPS label on it and you'll have it on Friday".
I once had to order a protective relay for a generator. It would shut down the generator in case of a certain fault. I spent the entire morning selecting the particular relay configuration (out of about 100) and calling sales reps. The lead time was 3 weeks. On the other hand, these relays last for decades, so it is not something you need to change out often.

A passenger car has complex mechanical, electrical, plumbing, HVAC systems. You can't expect to stock every part every time.

Posts: 286 | From: Knee deep in the retention tank | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jgart56
Member # 3968

Member Rated:
That may be the case,

However, I am wondering what put these passenger cars out of commission?

If I'm David Hughes, I'd be planning my exit strategy!!

George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would be somewhat suspicious of the intent behind this action. Railroad cars are complex enough that you probably always find some nit to pick. This could just be one more way to make Amtrak look bad and incompetent.

Having followed the work on the Nashville and Eastern for commuter service for a couple of years, there is an example there that occured about a year ago of the FRA coming in an making big issues of very small things that seemed somewhat dubious in purpose. Particularly in that a multitude of track defects were raised at the time that contracts were under way to do major track rehabilitation that would in its process cure most if not all of the deficiencies raised.

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jgart56
Member # 3968

Member Rated:
Exactly George,

If it's just one part, then Amtrak is caught with it's pants down. If it's a bunch of little things, then I too wonder about the timing and intent of this.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page