RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Simplified Menu Food Report

Author Topic: Simplified Menu Food Report
PaulB
Member # 4258

Member Rated:
Icon 13 posted      Profile for PaulB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just got back from a quick round trip to El Paso from LA. This was the first time I've encountered the "Simplified Dining" menu. On my last trip aboard the Sunset Limited, they were using a custom menu, but it was not the simplified menu.

I will be posting pictures shortly!

Going east (from Los Angeles):
I ordered the Braised Beef for dinner. They don't ask you what kind of dressing you want on your salad-they just bring you a plain salad and let you pick your dressing packet from a bowl on each table. They still give you a roll. The beef was poor-it was the same kind of meat you would use in a stew. I like stew, but I don't like eating a big fatty chunk of stew meat. It included the usual choice of baked/mashed potato or rice. I had the baked potato, which was fair. Also included were sliced, steamed carrots. I had the Chocolate Bundt cake for dessert.

For breakfast I had French Toast. Exactly the same as the French toast on the traditional menus. Unfortunately, the turkey sausages were gray!

For lunch (we were running about 5 hours late into El Paso) I ordered the Chicken salad, and a tablemate ordered the "Today's Sandwich" which was ham and cheese.
Have you seen the Chicken Caesar Salad that they sell in the cafe car? It has romaine lettuce, bits of chicken, and dressing in a "to go" tub? This salad was EXACTLY THE SAME THING. All they did was dump the contents onto a (plastic) plate.
My tablemate's sandwich looked like it just came from the Cafe car too. It was a sub-style sandwich, not like the kind they used to make in the dining car on real slices of bread.

Going westbound:
For dinner I ordered the Cod. It came with rice, sliced carrots, and pathetic green beans. The cod was seasoned well, and pretty tasty. I think this was the best meal of the trip.

For breakfast I was going to order the Bob Evans Breakfast Scramble, but chickened out and got the Continental. No different than the Continental on the traditional menu, which includes cereal, yogurt, fruit, and a biscuit.

I was hoping we'd be late enough into LA so they would serve lunch, but alas we arrived at 11:55AM. I was going to try the Angus burger if they were going to serve lunch.

The menus were different on both trips. I'll try and remember what was on them:
Eastbound:
Breakfast:
French Toast
Omlete
Cheese Quiche
Continental

Lunch:
Angus Burger
Gardenburger
Today's Sandwich (Ham and Cheese)
Deluxe Pizza
Cheese Quiche
Chicken Salad

Dinner:
Braised Beef
Lamb Shank
Salmon
Pasta
Tonight's Special (Salisbury Steak)

Westbound:
Breakfast:
Omelet
Southwestern Quiche
French Toast
Bob Evan's Breakfast Scramble
Continental

Lunch:
Angus Burger
Gardenburger
Deluxe Pizza
Today's Sandwich
Southwestern Quiche
Chicken Salad

Dinner:
Braised Beef
Basil and Thyme Cod
Chicken Parmesan
Pasta
Tonight's Special (Country Fried Steak)

All in all a big thumbs down. As I said before, the beef dish was poor, and the salad and sandwich came right out of the cafe car. Breakfast is the only meal that they didn't mess around with too much.
All meals were served on hard plastic plates. Glassware was plastic-even plastic wine glasses. The silverware was metal. Napkins were cloth. The tablecloth was a real cloth, and no butcher paper on the table!

Posts: 286 | From: Knee deep in the retention tank | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks so much for the report. But an important question for me: How were the desserts? do you remember what they offered other than the Chocolate Bundt cake you mention? Thanks
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clwood
Member # 3297

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for clwood     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a difference in the Continental. There is no choice of hot oatmeal for the cereal.
Posts: 51 | From: La Crosse, WI, USA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PaulB
Member # 4258

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for PaulB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Going east: Bundt cake, cheesecake with strawberry or chocolate topping, and fruit. No ice cream unfortunately.

Going west: I had Mississippi Mud Pie with strawberries and whipped cream for dinner's dessert. The menu said they also had cheesecake and fruit.

Posts: 286 | From: Knee deep in the retention tank | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the report. Sounds like it wasn't all bad, but not good enough overall.

I hope you make the effort to loudly and clearly tell Amtrak what you just told us. This'll make it easy: http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Amtrak/ContactUs

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SunsetLtd
Member # 3985

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SunsetLtd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any status on those photos?

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Amsunset

www.facebook.com/kevinschillinger

Posts: 250 | From: Texas State University-San Marcos, Texas (Hometown El Paso, TX) | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PaulB
Member # 4258

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for PaulB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, work got the best of me this week. I'll have them up this weekend.
PaulB
Member # 4258

Member Rated:
Pics are up, enjoy:

http://paul.internetforall.com/
"Trip to El Paso February 2006"

Jarrod
Member # 4318

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jarrod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you Paul!

Do you mind if I repost your description on another list?

Posts: 82 | From: San Lorenzo, CA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PaulB
Member # 4258

Member Rated:
Sure, just post the link as well.
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's neat to see the rebuilt cars have paneling in the entry vestibule. Much classier than bare metal.
Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Room Service
Member # 2405

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Room Service     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any rebuilt cars like that on the CS?
Posts: 218 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
I read a report that Amtrak found that convection ovens do not always work better than microwaves, particularly with steak, so they're modifying the menu as they learn more. Unlike the AMTV dinners of the 1980s, it looks like they are concerned with how the food tastes this time around.

--------------------
The Del Monte Club Car

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Saturday's Wall Street Journal carries a "heart warming' and FAVORABLE aeticle lamenting the upcoming loss of traditional dining service. If you have access to the Journal's subscription site (thanks boss?), this one is worth a read. Otherwise, here is a brief passage:

BRYAN, OHIO – A truck zooms past us as we lumber by fields of corn stubble. But we diehard rail passengers haven't paid 4½ times the bargain one-way airfare from New York to Chicago to cover the same distance in 18 hours instead of two because we care about speed.

I boarded the Lake Shore Limited Tuesday in New York to eat a steak that is about to disappear: a strip steak grilled by a chef in a railroad kitchen and served on a china plate. In the heyday of train travel, the diners provided passengers with a taste of the high life, and even today, a few trains still serve satisfying, even classy, meals. My breakfast Wednesday morning was fresh-cooked and delicious.........Here....somewhere west of Albany, N.Y., loving the spectacle of Alex serving the entire diner by himself with the grace of an ice dancer.

Tall and lanky, he swoops down the narrow center aisle with a large tray loaded with braised lamb shanks, seared catfish blackened in the Cajun manner or rotisserie chicken, all of them garnished with two vegetables. When he reaches his destination table, he pirouettes, lowering the tray in a smooth spiral until it lands lightly, and serves each person dinner, in a quadruple lutz of spinning download.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB114443037869220198.html

Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PaulB
Member # 4258

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Toy:
I read a report that Amtrak found that convection ovens do not always work better than microwaves, particularly with steak, so they're modifying the menu as they learn more. Unlike the AMTV dinners of the 1980s, it looks like they are concerned with how the food tastes this time around.

Can you provide us with a reference to this report? It sounds like they are considering bringing back steak to the menu, instead of that "Braised Beef"

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page