RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » eastbound Sunset Ltd to Crescent connection

Author Topic: eastbound Sunset Ltd to Crescent connection
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone ever done this--i.e., Sunset Ltd east all the way to New Orleans, then Crescent the next morning north? Is it a good idea?
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PaulB
Member # 4258

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for PaulB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why not? Stay at the St. Charles Quality Inn, which is just a few blocks away.
Posts: 286 | From: Knee deep in the retention tank | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I meant, has anyone ever stayed in the station to make this connection?
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sure; back when a through LA-NY sleeper was operated.
Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graynt
Member # 17

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for graynt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I m doing the same thing later this year..#2 to New Orleans from LA and taking #20 the next morning to Washington. Sleeper both legs. I didn t make a reservation in New Orleans for the night. If 2 is extremely late I really don t want to spendthe extra money for a hotel. I ll probably spend the evening in the French Quarter, stay as late as I can and catch the Crescent at 7AM. Maybe by September, when I am going, I can stay in the Magnolia Room until the Crescent leaves.

--------------------

Posts: 176 | From: Bloomsburg Pa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ehbowen
Member # 4317

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ehbowen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I made the connection back in 1984, but I stayed down the street in the YMCA. I can't tell for sure, but I suspect that that YMCA is long gone.

It was a nice trip--I had one of the old-style single Slumbercoaches from NO to Washington. Kind of tight, but more room than I would have to myself for three years on a battleship.

--------------------
--------Eric H. Bowen

Stop by my website: Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables of the great trains of the past!

Posts: 413 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't have an updated AMTRAK system timetable -- the one I have still shows the Sunset Ltd terminating in San Antonio. What time is the SL scheduled to arrive in New Orleans now? I imagine if it is scheduled to arrive before 11 PM at night or so, you could still make the Crescent the next AM. But if is scheduled to arrive later, and is its normal 7-8 hours late, it may be shaky to catch the Crescent in the AM.

On my trips through New Orleans, I have stayed at the Holiday Inn-downtown on Loyola Ave (a few blocks from the station), but I don't know the post-Katrina status of that hotel.

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trainut
Member # 4052

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Trainut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was planning to ride the Cresant to NOL, at the end of March, and come back the next day, but when I looked on Orbitz I found that a lot of the hotels were not open yet. I believe a ride in the taxis there is a minimum $11.00 charge just to have them drop the flag. I would look into a hotel before you leave, just to get an idea, hope this helps.
Posts: 39 | From: Saint Croix Falls | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page