RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Another "Amtrak Adventure"

Author Topic: Another "Amtrak Adventure"
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got frustrated trying to find dates this month when there was availability on the Sunset to NOL so have booked an alternative "Adventure" for next week.

On Monday, 20 March, I'll take the 6:10AM bus from SBA to BFD and the 10:15AM San Joaquin to Emeryville. I've never ridden the San Joaquins and have always wanted to. I'll have dinner and spend the night with an old friend who now lives in Berkeley.

On Tuesday, 21 March I'm booked on #6, the California Zephyr, from EMY to Denver in Room B, Car 0631. (Will this be the sleeper next to the Transition Sleeper or next to the diner?)

I'll spend Wednesday night in Denver at the Dowtown Comfort Inn and then fly on a pass on Continental to Houston. Friday I'll fly on a pass back to LAX. Does anyone in Denver know how late the 16th St. Mall Free Shuttle runs on weekdays? If the Zephyr is on time it looks like a good way to get from the station to the hotel which is at the end of 17th across from the Brown Palace.

From LAX I will try the new (starts this Wednesday) Nonstop Flyaway bus from LAX to Union Station. It is free all this month but will be $3.00 o/w after that. I'm booked on the 2:55PM Surfliner in Business Class and should be home in time for a glass of wine and dinner.

I'll post a trip report when I return.

Frank in Sunny but Cool SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like a great adventure.

One word of caution, if the Comfort Inn is the one I think it is, you might be disappointed. If I remember correctly it was one of the cheapest places in downtown Denver, but the exterior looked pretty dismal in person. We stayed at the Queen Anne Inn B&B, which at the time was not a whole lot more in cost, but vastly better quality.

--------------------
The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Frank,

I stayed at the Denver Downtown Comfort Inn off a detoured #6 in 2004 (and I had gone riding specifically FOR the Wyoming detour!). It was a nice hotel in it's own right just a block off the free shuttle bus route. (The Comfort Inn is in a silver metal sheathed bulding which looks like it began life as an office building. My room was about 7 floors up and right on the corner so I had kind of a rounded window with views in two directions.)

It seems like the free shuttle bus was running at least every ten minutes well into the night. The Denver RTD has a website that a quick Google search will find that would have actual frequency details.

You will also discover, if you've not already, that the Denver RTD has a bus from their downtown transit center (which is perhaps a block or two up the free shuttle bus route from Union Station)to the Denver Airport. It's called 'Skyride' or something like that and was a bargain at $8.00 OW when I used it last summer.

Happy Travels and be sure to let us know how the trip plays out.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kiernan
Member # 3828

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kiernan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Mall Ride runs until after midnight, even on Sundays. The Comfort Inn is a nice place, and convenient, just a block off the Mall. The Skyride is convenient, also, and leaves downstairs in the underground terminal, except that early morning runs leave on the street when the terminal isn't open yet.

--------------------
Kiernan

Posts: 155 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Gentlemen.

The hotel is supposed to be a "Platinum Award Winner" and the website says "recently renovated". It's a sister property to the Brown Palace and is connected by a skybridge and they offer mutual food/beverage charging. Perhaps you were thinking of another property, Mr. Toy.

I'm hoping that #6 isn't too late or even on time so I can use the Free Shuttle for transport.

I've already found the Skyride info and it looks like a painless way to DIA. Now, we have to hope that the "Non-rev Gods" are with me and I am able to get on both flights. Both DEN/IAH and IAH/LAX look good in the CO computer right now, but we know that can change. Having a 1970 seniority date should help!

Best,

Frank in SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I was in Denver I took the free tour of the Brown Palace Hotel and saw the Comfort Inn (including walkway) from the outside; it looked fine. BTW, the Brown Palace tour was OK but not as good as some--a little too much of a commercial for the Brown Palace!--but I did get to see some neat things about the building. The BP looked to be doing a very nice afternoon tea too.

If you have any trouble with the shuttle, you can always take a taxi; it isn't that far and won't be too expensive.

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
I knew I could count on you folks. We are taking our second cruise the end of April (Transatlantic on the Constellation to Le Havre, France and Dover, England) and I've just discovered a similar board for cruises. There is also something called CruiseConnections where you can register for an onboard party. So far 94 people have signed up!

Frank in cold and nearly dark SBA

train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frank, we are in car 631 every year and have always been next to the diner. Having said that they will probably change it this time to make a "liar" out of me.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Somewhere on here I seem to remember reading that the sleepers and coaches are numbered forward and back starting at the diner and lounge. I'm expecting there will be plenty of snow in both the Sierra and Rockies.

Frank in dark, COLD (Well, for us anyhow!) SBA

sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frank, that is so cool about your taking a transatlantic cruise. I didn't even know there was such a beast, other than the Queen Mary and those northerly routes on the Holland American line. What line is the Constellation? What port do you sail from? What is the similar board you found for cruises? And--to bring this back to possibly on-topic--are you taking Amtrak cross-country getting to your port of departure?
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Sojourner-- The Constellation is a Celebrity Millennium Class ship. (About 2,000 pax and a crew of 999). We sail from Cape Liberty, NJ, the new cruise ship port in Bayonne near Newark. Sadly, time won't make a train connection possible but we plan to take the train from Dover to Gatwick on the return. This is a repositioning cruise. The ship has been sailing in the Caribbean and will sail in Northern Europe for the summer. That's one reason it was so reasonable. We are paying $600 each for a "Concierge Class" cabin. We booked through perx.com which offers specials on tours, cruises and hotels for airline employees.
The discussion boards I've found are on www.cruisecritic.com .
We are really looking forward to this trip!

Frank in sunny, cool SBA

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is another Cruise site that rail enthuiasts/fans/historians/train lovers might find of interest.

Be sure you are audio enabled.

www.getcruising.com

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Great website, Mr. Norman! Thanks for posting it.

Frank in sunny, warmer SBA

Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If its been recently renovated, that's a good sign. It was several years ago when we went by the place, but at the time we were looking at it we all agreed that it didn't look to pleasant. Or maybe I'm thinking of a different place altogether and got confused.
Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Thanks so much for the info. Frank, your cruise sounds fabulous.

Years ago I made several trips to the UK and spent time there. I think I took the train between Dover and London; but it could have been a bus. Another time I definitely recall taking a train from London (Victoria) via Calais to Paris (with a ferry boat of sorts; this was way before the Chunnel was around) and back. I also took the train between Gatwick and London, and I seem to recall going past Gatwick on the Brighton line--that is, when I went to and from Brighton by train. All this was on Britrail, way before the British trains underwent "privatization," which I hear from friends has made the system not so good.

I remember enjoying Dover Castle--it was very castle-y. I also had to go to "Dover Beach," because of the poem.

I wish I were an airline employee; I'd take a $600 cruise to Europe in a Bayonne, NJ, minute! I could then come back on the Queen Mary!!!

TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will confirm 631 is probably next to the diner. On the round trip I just took (3/1 and 3/5) I was in 532 and 632 one sleeper away from the diner. Our Bedroom A was next to the door to 631, so B may be on the diner end of the car.
Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gibg
Member # 2565

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gibg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frank: The Comfort Inn is actually owned and operated by the Brown Palace Hotel, which is one of Denver's finest. It was originally built by the Brown Palace as an "annex," but no one wanted to stay in it (too modern!) -- everyone wanted to be in the old Brown Palace across the street. Everything in the above posts is accurate -- with one exception: It's 35 miles from the Brown Palace to Denver International Airport, and taxis charge $50+. An alternative to the RTD SkyRide is Super Shuttle, but generally the SkyRide is pretty close to perfect -- as well as totally dependable. Be sure and tell them you want Continental.
Posts: 87 | From: Snowmass, CO USA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Sorry, just to clarify: In my post, I was saying that the taxi is not that far to the Brown Palace/Comfort Inn from the Denver TRAIN STATION, and so the price would not be so high were you to take one. I don't know nuttin' about no airports!
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Again, thanks for all the input. Now I just have to hope that the flights don't fill up. I might just have to call Julie and continue my trip on to CHI! BTW, is there any "best" side of the train Eastbound? I remember from my last CZ trip that the views going through the Sierra were spectacular just about everywhere from the lounge car. Also, has "DinerLite" hit the CZ yet?

Frank in cold, wet SBA

TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No DinerLite yet on the CZ. North side of train gives you the river in Glenwood Canyon, but my bedroom A faced south (mostly walls of rock). Either side of the train is spectacular through Colorado. Two words of advice: Lounge Car.
Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Left side of the train is good eastbound for the best views descending Donnor Pass into Truckee, going through Glenwood Canyon, and descending the Front Range into Denver. There is one canyon (can't recall the name though) that the train goes through about an hour to 90 minutes before the Granby station where the left side is the wrong side.......unless you majored in geology and get a kick out of looking at rocks!

--------------------
David Pressley

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
The canyon before Granby is Gore Canyon. At one point on the south side where the road is way up on top of a steep hill, there is a wrecked car that a conductor pointed out once. The hill is to steep and big to get the car out, but the story is some occupants survived. On my recent trip, our lunch companions could see it upside down, but I have never found it myself.
gibg
Member # 2565

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gibg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frank: Sojourner is right. The taxi ride from the Denver Union Station to the Comfort Inn is about 15 blocks and is fast and easy. When you hit the hotel (if it isn't too late) cross the bridge to the Brown Palace and have a drink in the Ships Tavern, a classic in Denver for many, many years. (1950's: prime rib or Rocky Mountain trout for $1.95, served off a cart!)

There really is no pattern to the right or wrong side of the Sightseer Lounge. After Grand Junction, right is better until Glenwood Springs; then left is better through Glenwood Canyon. Right is best through Gore and Byers Canyons, then left is better as you descend into Denver.

Have a wonderful trip. Continental is in Terminal East at Denver International Airport and operates out of Concourse A. "A" is the only concourse for which you have the option of taking the underground train or walking across a bridge.

Posts: 87 | From: Snowmass, CO USA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
And there is a great story as to why CO is in Terminal A. They were, of course, originally a "Hometown" carrier and, when DIA was being planned, they still had enough presence in Denver to garner the premier location. Things changed but they held on to the gates in "A". I haven't been to DIA in a number of years but the original Presidents Club was HUGE. By the time the DEN bases were closed and the presence grew smaller half of it was closed off. It will be interesting to see what it's like now. One of the smartest investments I ever made was a lifetime membership in the "P-Club" when it cost about half what I'm paying to get to DEN on this trip.

Hopefully, I'll be able to have that drink in the Ship's Tavern. Thanks for the info, gibg.

Frank in dark, cold, SBA

blancoj
Member # 2918

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for blancoj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like traveling on the CZ, although on my last trip, the volunteer guide had a bit of a problem with the P.A. system. The system was fine -- the guide did not know how to use it. Every sentence he spoke was prefaced by, "Is this working?" My niece and I figured that must be the train equivalent of, "Can you hear me now?"

Too bad, because his narrative had a lot of interesting information in it that was ruined by his poor performance. Maybe it was stage fright.

Posts: 26 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gibg
Member # 2565

Member Rated:
Frank: Here is another thought on your transportation from the Comfort Inn to DIA. The DIA SkyRide leaves from the Market Street RTD station which is at the opposite end of the 16th Street Mall from the Comfort Inn/Brown Palace. The 16th Street Mall shuttle will get you there -- just walk a block west on Tremont (towards the mountains) to catch it. For schedules, check www.rtd-denver.com and look for the AF route (Cold Spring/Downtown/DIA). They are large busses with lots of luggage-carrying capacity. Again, have a great trip!
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Thanks, again. I'd already looked in using the shuttle to get to the Skyride. I may well need to go with "Plan B" since the flights out of DIA to IAH are filling up. Not looking great for non-rev travel. I may need to go earlier or via another city. Also, today's #6 is going to be at least four hours late into DEN. The agent at SBA told me, when I was picking up the tix, that the UP was removing snow from above the tracks but I don't know if that was in the Sierra or the Rockies.

Frank in cold, dark SBA

sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
"Plan B" is in effect. The CO flights were filling up and do not look good at this point for a non-rev trying to get to Houston. So, I bought a tix on Southwest DEN/BUR (I remembered I had a Travel Credit from a trip to Seattle on SW that I had to cancel) and Amtrak was very nice about changing my LAX/SBA tix on the 24th to BUR/SBA on the 23rd. I was booked in Business so thought I'd better call the Select #.

Frank in soon to be wet, again, SBA

gibg
Member # 2565

Member Rated:
Frank: Here we go again. As I'm sure you know, Southwest came into Denver with a loud crash right after January 1 and is changing everything. Their counters are in Terminal East, and their gates are on Concourse C (C41, C43 and C45) for which you must take the underground train. Good luck -- you'll be fine. Just make it to the Ships Tavern at the Brown Palace !!
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Thanks, again, gibg! I'll be sure to make it to the Ship's Tavern and also to the P-Club and then the train before my flight to BUR via Las Vegas. No change of plane so I probably won't be tempted by the slots.

Since I'll now have the morning free in Denver any suggestions near the hotel? I'm going to need to find a computer with a printer. If the hotel doesn't have a business center is there a Kinko's nearby?

Frank in soon to be wet SBA.

gibg
Member # 2565

Member Rated:
Frank: I don't know about the Comfort Inn having a business center, but the Brown Palace does have one which I'm sure is available to Comfort Inn guests. Just cross over the bridge (mezzanine level). If that doesn't work, there is a 24-hour Kinko's one and one-half blocks down 17th Street. Walk to the corner of 17th and Tremont, turn right on 17th and go 1-1/2 blocks (cross Glenarm, then another 1/2 block). It's on the same side of 17th Street as the Comfort Inn.

The Comfort Inn is perhaps 3-4 blocks from Civic Center Park. Perhaps the most interesting feature of that area is the new addition to the Denver Art Museum on the south side of the park. It is a huge building, built like the prow of a ship and extending over West 13th Avenue. It was designed by Daniel Liebeskind and will open this coming fall.

The park also is home to the State Capitol Building (on the east side) and the City and County of Denver building (on the west side). The other building on the south side of the park is the main Denver Public Library.

One other suggestion which might appeal is a ride on the RTD Light Rail. You would pick it up at 17th and California, another 1-1/2 blocks beyond Kinko's. Depending on how much time you have, you can ride it a short distance or all the way to the end (Mineral Avenue in Littleton). Not sure but I think schedules are on the RTD website which you've already found !!

sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Again, many thanks. I checked the hotel website and they say they have a "newly renovated business center" with computers, fax, copiers and printers.

At DIA is there one security check point for terminals A,B, & C? Or can I clear for A and walk over he bridge and then down to the train? I want to stop in at the Presidents Club to check it out and, perhaps, have a Bloody Mary to fortify myself. I believe I also have access to Delta's Crown Room in Terminal C where SW is located.

Now all I need to do is pack and get up VERY early Monday morning.

Frank in WET SBA/

gibg
Member # 2565

Member Rated:
Frank: There is one security checkpoint for all three concourses, on level 5. RTD Sky Ride will drop you at Level 6 (ticket counters). From the ticket counters, you go down one level via escalators. After the security check, you go down one more level to the underground train.

However, there is a separate security check before the bridge to Concourse A. The line for this one is usually shorter. You walk across the bridge, then take the escalator down to the train at Concourse A and ride to Concourse C. Many people do it this way.

If you haven't found it already, www.flydenver.com has good maps and information. The lines are usually worst in the morning and the late afternoon. However, I have never waited more than 10 minutes, but I'm a United elite member and they have a separate line.

Please feel free to ask any more questions you have !! DIA was built for 50 million passengers (2005 saw slightly over 40 million) and most natives feel it's a user-friendly airport, even if it is 35 miles from downtown Denver.

sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
After all of this, I've had to cancel the trip! I had a bad asthma attack last night and have a case of brochitis coming on. I didn't want to have to deal with that alone on a train in the Rockies so called and cancelled. They weren't able to refund the SBA-DEN portion but did give me a credit good for a year.

Thanks to all of you who gave me tips. I WILL make this trip as soon as possible.

Frank in sunny, windy, SBA

notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by gibg:
Frank: Here we go again. As I'm sure you know, Southwest came into Denver with a loud crash right after January 1 and is changing everything. Their counters are in Terminal East, and their gates are on Concourse C (C41, C43 and C45) for which you must take the underground train. Good luck -- you'll be fine. Just make it to the Ships Tavern at the Brown Palace !!

Didn't a CEO at Southwest some years ago vow to NEVER fly to Denver?

Never just doesn't mean what it used to!!!!!

However, I am glad they do now. SWA has helped me reach many of the great train rides I've taken in the past five years though and Denver is one of my favorite places to transition between rail and air. Wouldn't it be nice if the RTD light rail is one day extended all the way out to the airport?

--------------------
David Pressley

gibg
Member # 2565

Member Rated:
Frank: Sorry about your trip cancellation, but it's probably the wise thing to do. And don't worry -- the Ships Tavern will be there for another 100 years! #6 has been really late the last couple of days (3 to 4-1/2 hours).

David: You're right. Herb Kelleher vowed never to come to DIA because the landing fees were too high. But he's gone now and the new management is very agressive, to the point where SWA has increased DIA traffic by 10%. An RTD light rail extension IS planned for sometime soon, as part of the RTD FastTracks program bonded by the voters 2 years ago. The planned route is via the old UP-KP line and then north and east to DIA via the middle of Pena Boulevard (the main freeway to DIA). A lot of people are looking forward to it.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page