RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » $500 for a roomette? Yikes! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: $500 for a roomette? Yikes!
Vicki
Member # 3410

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vicki     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just priced rail fare on the Zephyr from CHI to SFW in Jan. This is crazy. Are beds always this expensive on the Zephyr?
Posts: 149 | From: Joliet, IL USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I must agree with "Miss Vicki', the rate she noted does apply to the Roomette "that far out". To add insult to injury, this is only the accomodation charge being addressed. Rail fare is additional.

What astounds me is that same rate presently applies through the Autumm "shoulder' travel season. Best advice is keep checking back, as both rail and accomodations are priced based upon anticipated "supply and demand". Something tells me they have yet to perfect the rates through those periods and have simply arbitrarilly placed a high rate that somehow I think will be subject to change.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By contrast, a DELUXE bedroom on the new Empire Builder a week from now is under $300 from St. Paul to Portland (2 nights & 4 meals). The CZ roomette I just rode Omaha-Grand Junction was only $127.

January is can be very cheap for 1st class if not near a holiday. Maybe booking this far in advance is not the cheapest way to go. You could try alternate days on the web and see if the price is less.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vicki
Member # 3410

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vicki     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried several and get the same price. If it was just for my husband and myself I could deal with it but we want to take our son so we'd need two and at that price I'm feeling queasy. I've never paid anywhere that much for a roomette.
Posts: 149 | From: Joliet, IL USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
vicki, have you checked into the possibility of the family bedroom?. It may be cheaper than 2 roomettes.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vicki
Member # 3410

Member Rated:
Yeah, I looked and it's over $1000. I don't even know if we could get it though-it say 2 adults and 2 small children and our son is 17 and nearly as big as my husband. At any rate, two roomettes would still be less expensive.
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Out of curiousity, I priced the CZ from Emeryville to Denver to duplicate our 2000 trip, but used January instead of August. It came out $226 more. I tried August just for kicks and it came out the same. The prices quoted for a roomette were all over the map for different days, ranging from $222 to over $400, not including rail fare.

Perhaps Amtrak is trying to price them to drive away customers and say "see, nobody rides these trains anymore."

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CHANGEATJAMAICA
Member # 3737

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CHANGEATJAMAICA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The sleeper accomodations on the LD's are going to be either, empty or go on fire sale this summer.

I've drawn the line at a 45% increase over last year.

Posts: 83 | From: MERRIMAC,MA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Toy, We need to find out if Amtrak is indeed trying to drive away customers, as you speculate, which was one of my vague initial suspicions too. But it could also be they are doing these crazy things simply to try to comply with the "cost reduction" directive they received, just as they are cutting the food and lounges. But whatever they are doing, it's completely inane and will kill business. I suggest everyone call or write to (a) Amtrak, and start complaining; (b) NARP; and (c) their Congressman or woman, or senator, or, if your own are all Neanderthals, a sympathetic one in a state you visit--and ask them to investigate why the 45% hike when the newspapers said 7%, at the same time as a cutBACK in food and other amenities.

Meanwhile, what I'm doing is just waiting to book trips I used to book much earlier. I feel pretty sure the price will come down on most of these routes (especially in January a week after New Year's). If worse comes to worst, I'll go coach, or go coach part way, or even fly. There is no way I'm paying these ridiculous prices.

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A friend told me that the Amtrak agent told her that the longer you wait the cheaper the room. they have a certain #of rooms at each price level and as one level is sold out they go to the next level. It used to be the earlier you booked the better but that is now changed. Also you have to remember on some trains such as the CZ tour groups book and that can take up the rooms. In January the CZ can be sold out quickly because of the Skiers.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeeCT
Member # 3241

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeeCT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
These prices are why I am now looking into creative ways to travel by using more coach travel and more frequent stopovers. I can tolerate one overnite in coach. So for example Springfield, MA to Flagstaff, AZ (Normally a 2 day 8 hr trip including layover - that includes 2 nites) I will overnite on LSL to Chicago then take Southwest Chief next day to Kansas City where I will book a hotel overnite. Then resume trip on Southwest Chief the next day. This will add one day to trip but the dollar savings between Amtrak accomodations fee and the cost of one nite in hotel + meals is considerable enough to give serious thought to. Bonus -- a day to explore a new city. (I am lucky to be retired so do not have severe time constraints.)
Posts: 460 | From: North Central CT | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vicki
Member # 3410

Member Rated:
Unfortunately I don't think my back will hold up to an overnight in coach. At this point I have no idea what we're going to do. As much as I hate to say it, we'll probably just bite the bullet and pay it if prices don't come down. I'm going to wait and see though. There's no big advantage to booking early as in the past. Not at these rates!
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mesdames Dee, Sojourner, and Vicki; I think this could be a new property of demand pricing that Amtrak is trying out. For someone who absolutely positively must go on an exact given date and is willing to book far enough in advance to ensure such be the case, demand pricing apparently will 'make 'em pay".

I checked Roomette prices today for school reunion in South Kent CT during early June. That trip would be Lake Shore Chi to Albany, thence auto rental to School (sorry, the New Haven RR's 'The Berkshire' no longer runs) and return. The rate offered seemed quite palatable and in fact it may have even been less than the (historical fare) $748 I paid for same trip during 2001.

While I'm not sure if I will use Amtrak as there is still the reliability factor to consider - a four hour late train could make for "problems' making Class Dinner on time. There is also possibility of en route stops that would make auto the only reasonable and practical means. However, my reason to use transport other than Amtrak will hardly be 'it costs too much' (auto is no bargain nowadays).

So take heart, Ladies, you all have computers and can access the website to heart's content. Somehow, I think that Accomodation Charge will come down to a level you are prepared to accept.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Still an additional point.

First, likely some of you know that I am obverse to the quotation of fares at a railforum for future travel. In fact, I prohibit such at another site at which I moderate an Amtrak forum. However, with the ready access to fares offered by carriers, my point can still be made.

I just priced up a Winnipeg to Vancouver trip for early June on VIA in a Roomette. I was utterly astounded - and yes I did discount the quoted price by 15% for US/CD exchange. Out of further interest, I then priced a CHI-SEA trip early June in a Roomette - that fare was some 25% less.

Now I realize that there is much consensus suggesting the VIA travel experience is superior to that offered by Amtrak, but 25% superior????

Folks, people love trains and want to ride 'em, but capacity is quite finite - on VIA as well, and that great economist named Polly the Parrot is happy to tell you why.

'Hey Polly, what you say?" "Supply and demand...supply and demand'

OK girl, shut up!!!

sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dee, That is what I'm looking in to as well. Let me know how Kansas City is. One reason I've never stayed overnight there thus far is that I here it's hard to get around without a car. But there seems to be a fair amount to see right by the train station.

Train Lady, I was told by NE corridor clerk (but applying to regular fares, not sleeper fares) that Amtrak has the opposite--bucket pricing where the cheapest available fills up, then the next cheapest, and so on, until the last available and the most expensive. I thought that was the general policy at Amtrak, but maybe they are doing something different come January, at least for sleeper rates, to see if they can get more at the start?

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
soujourner, that's the way it always was for sleepers the earlier you booked the less you paid. But my friend said the clerk told her that now it is in reverse. But who knows sometimes the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing.
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been astounded in recent weeks to discover that sleeper space on the Empire Builder is significantly cheaper than the same space for the same distance on either the Southwest Chief of California Zephyr.

Your plans to 'get creative' using coach seating whenever possible are good ones and the idea of stopping in Kansas City is interesting. Union Station alone is worth stopping for. There are a couple of hotels (a Westin property is one) adjacent to the train station in KC but they are pricey to the point that taking that roomette is economical by comparison. So much so that I would actually consider renting a car in KC and driving myself to a Red Roof Inn on the outskirts of town.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
The KC Marriott downtown has good rates, but it is a mile from the train station. I wonder if it is a good place to stay at night? There is also a Fairfield Inn near the Marriott (I think), again with good rates, and again I wonder about safety factors; does anyone know?

Right at the train station I think there is a Hyatt and Westin, but there may be a Hilton a little less expensive? Anyway, I couldn't get a real handle on traveling around in KC without a car (I would never rent a car, I would have to take a lot of taxis) and safety factors for a woman alone. I really want to see the House of Blues and eat ribs in all those places Calvin Trillin talks about, not to mention go down to the Missouri River . . . but I don't know how I could get to see all those places easily and cheaply, which is why I haven't been there yet.

rtabern
Member # 4306

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rtabern   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
$500 for a roomette? TRY $607.

Ok, back in October I booked a trip on the Empire Builder from Chicago to Seattle leaving May 26th. I figure I would get a good deal booking about 8 months or so in advance.

Nope, $607 --- ONE WAY.

Well, I figured it was high because afterall, it was the Friday of Memorial Day weekend and the train -- or at least the sleepers --- were probably near capacity. But when I called to ask for a specific room, the agent rattled off about 7 or 8 rooms that were not booked in that same car.

Meaning, $607 for a train that was no where near capacity.

Well, I paid for it.

But now, I went back on there --- and it's still $607 for a roomette --- just about 2 months before departure.

So what does that mean?

Posts: 100 | From: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rtabern
Member # 4306

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rtabern   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh yeah, same trip (see above)
is over $1,400 ONE WAY in a deluxe bedroom... or $2,800 ROUND TRIP.

Posts: 100 | From: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vicki
Member # 3410

Member Rated:
I wish I could remember what we paid for the EB last June. Maybe my husband still has the stubs somewhere. We didn't have a roomette-we had a family room one way and a deluxe (or whatever they call them now) the other way but I know we didn't pay $600 for either of them. Our total r/t fare was around $1100 for the two of us, I think. I'm starting to get the feeling Amtrak wants me to find another mode of transportation. [Frown]
Vicki
Member # 3410

Member Rated:
I just checked the EB CHO-SEA departing May 26 and returning June 2 and it's currently $134 fare plus $473 for a roomette. Total r/t for
1 Passenger:
Passenger 1: Adult

Rail Fare: $268.00
Accommodations Price: $946.00

Total: $1,214.00

Prices in a deluxe bedroom are rediculous! What are they thinking?

abefroman329
Member # 3986

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for abefroman329     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by train lady:
A friend told me that the Amtrak agent told her that the longer you wait the cheaper the room. they have a certain #of rooms at each price level and as one level is sold out they go to the next level. It used to be the earlier you booked the better but that is now changed. Also you have to remember on some trains such as the CZ tour groups book and that can take up the rooms. In January the CZ can be sold out quickly because of the Skiers.

That must be a pretty recent phenomenon; my room on the Crescent went up $50 in a matter of days.
Posts: 76 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Abe, in my opinion the pea brains with the common sense God gave a cucumber in this administration are determined to destroy passenger rail service so I don't even try to understand any more. I read that Mr. Bush said we really don't need passenger trains. People can either fly or drive.With a fuel crisis this makes no sense to me.
An Amtrak supervisor explained to me that there are ticket agents selling tickets all over the country. So while I may be looking at a say $100 ticket it may be sold and the price jumps up right in front of me. That is why they suggest yo put a hold on a ticket if it is a good price while you decide.

City of Miami
Member # 2922

Icon 1 posted      Profile for City of Miami     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Amtrak executives may be merely trying to move the prices into a closer approximation to the actual cost of service as mandated. I always have a choice of transportation; I must decide if the price of this particular ride is worth it to me - sometimes yes, sometimes no, and fortuantely Amtrak makes it easy for me to change my mind.
Posts: 326 | From: San Antonio Texas USA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rrrayinmd
Member # 4148

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rrrayinmd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FWIW - my daughter and I traveled round trip - BAL to OLW via Cardinal, EB, and Cascades last June ...coach between BAL and CHI/CHI and BAL, roomette CHI to SEA/SEA to CHI; coach SEA to OLW/OLW to SEA. Total cost: $799 for the 2 of us.

Found out I will be going back to OLW in Jan 2007. Tried same route...Cardinal not available (at least not yet). So it is Local BAL to DC in coach, Capital Limited to CHI in coach, EB to SEA in family bedroom; Cascades to OLW in coach and exact reverse....Cost: $1600 for 3 people. That's a 25% per person increase. I can get United Airlines RT for the 3 of us for $800. It's a question of convenience and comfort.

Posts: 34 | From: Carroll County, MD | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As someone who lives in Kansas City:

The Marriott, Westin and Hyatt are all there in part due to the H Roe Bartle Hall, our city convention center. Frankly, I'd be far more concerned about security at the budget places in the Northland than I am over the flagship hotels Downtown.

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Pullman, as I am basically unfamiliar with the city layout, can you be a little clearer? What do you mean by the Northland? Are you referring to any of the hotels I mentioned, or one of those David Pressley mentioned?

I notice that unlike the Westin and Hyatt, which seem to be right at Union Station, the Marriott and Fairfield Inn are about a mile away, and substantially cheaper; is this still the same neighborhood, basically, or are they cheaper because the neighborhood is more deserted at night, or something like that? Can one walk around safely at night around Union Station or around the Marriott, or is there a crime or "highway" problem--i.e., too much fast-moving traffic, not enough sidewalks or other walkways.

PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sojourner,

The Westin and the Hyatt are by their very nature "destination" hotels. They are just flat-dab upscale to begin with!! The Westin and the Hyatt are both also within "Crown Center" which is the Hallmark Company's corporate home.

All these hotels are well secured inside; and all are within major business districts of Kansas City. I'd have no problem placing anyone in any of these.

If you want to go a little further abroad, there is also a Marriott Residence Inn about 1 1/2 miles from union station to the south. There is also a Historic Suites of America about 2 1/2 miles north. It's near the downtown nightclub area.

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graynt
Member # 17

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for graynt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have always been amazed at the price structuring of sleepers on Amtrak. Septmeber 2 of last year a roomette on the Builder cost me $152 by booking several months in advancefrom Seattle to Chicago. This year for the same date it's almost two hundred dollars higher. and that was looking at the same time I booked last year about a month ago.

I would never pay $500 for a roomette. If it's that high I won t do it. I figure they are out that money. I do have a roomette booked on the Sunset from LAX to NOL for $218 and from NOL to WAS for $125..so for $343 thats a cross country trip which is a decent price, in addition to the reasonable $130 rail fare. This will be in September of this year.

I was going to start a new topic, but I just returned from a trip from Toronto to Vancouver on the Canadian. For an upper berth it cost me $750 US including rail fare..a three day trip. Now thats a little higher that Amtrak, but this journey was similar to a cruise...the best food I ever ate..different menus at each meal..food served on china..Free champagne every day, fruit and cookies served all day in the Park car,etc. This could be a whole other thread, but I got off that train Sunday in Vancouver totally impressed and asking myself why can't Amtrak be like this?..or maybe years ago they once were..before I began riding regularly in 1990.

Posts: 176 | From: Bloomsburg Pa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by graynt:
I just returned from a trip from Toronto to Vancouver on the Canadian. For an upper berth it cost me $750 US including rail fare..a three day trip. Now thats a little higher that Amtrak, but this journey was similar to a cruise...the best food I ever ate..different menus at each meal..food served on china..Free champagne every day, fruit and cookies served all day in the Park car,etc. This could be a whole other thread, but I got off that train Sunday in Vancouver totally impressed and asking myself why can't Amtrak be like this?..or maybe years ago they once were..before I began riding regularly in 1990.

My wife and I rode the 'Canadian' from Vancouver to Winnipeg in April 2004........part of the best trip we've ever taken. (Included 3 nights in Victoria, B.C.). The 'Canadian' is exactly as you describe and nothing Amtrak has ever operated has been 'like that'. It's a pity.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Actually back in the 70s the Capital Limited was really grand.That is for what they called first class. In each room there was a cloth bag full of toilet articles, I still have one of those bags.Also we were each given a snack box with all sort of snacks and either a small carafe of wine or a soft drink. There were the biggest and best chocolate chip cookies and fruit on the drink sevice counter in each car all day. In the diner we had our own section and while we were looking at the menu were served appetizers and wine at diner.I have a collection of Glass mugs with Capital limited etched on them which we were given at the end of the trip. they were presented in a silver and white striped box with a pretty ribbon. Accounting for breakage I think there are only 8 left. Quite a difference from today.
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Thanks Mr Pullman Co!

Ps Do you know anything about a Hotel Savoy at 219 W 9th St? I read a travel article that recommended it. Is that near Union Station too?

royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was just playing around with fares at Amtrak.com and for the 27 of Dec/06 a deluxe bedroom Los Angeles to Chicago is priced at $559 and a roomette at $565 (these are the sleeper fares only). For the 28th of May/06 a bedroom for the same route is listed at $1263 and a roomette is going for $565. Why would a roomette be more expensive than a bedroom in December yet a bedroom more than twice as expensive as a roomette in May? Even for yield management this makes no sense.
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vicki
Member # 3410

Member Rated:
Boy, it sure doesn't look like we'll be going to CA this year! Unreal!
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

The Savoy is in the "small, upscale, and luxurious" category of hotel. NMT 10 minute taxi ride from Union Station.

89 a night isn't bad for a base rate. By the time you tack on the various local taxes, your credit card'll be down about 120.

Then again, that's the way most cities are anymore. Tax the tourists...

sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Thanks again! Sorry this strand go so off-topic, but bringing it back on--the Florida sleeperettes next year are also skyrocketing! I guess I will have to go coach.
Vicki
Member # 3410

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:

What astounds me is that same rate presently applies through the Autumm "shoulder' travel season. Best advice is keep checking back, as both rail and accomodations are priced based upon anticipated "supply and demand". Something tells me they have yet to perfect the rates through those periods and have simply arbitrarilly placed a high rate that somehow I think will be subject to change.

Well, I checked back, looking at Oct. 1-15, and they did indeed change the rates! Many trips have Roomettes sold out, a couple are still $500, and the rest have risen to $589! I have given up hope of them changing for the better, and judging by the number of sold-out trips the high cost hasn't deterred many from going (and paying).
RussM
Member # 3627

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RussM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't been able to figure out Amtrak's new pricing strategy, but it does appear that bargains sometimes appear at short notice. They used to charge more as the departure date approached. I was planning a trip to Sacramento next week to attend the Jazz Festival, and had a reservation on Southwest Airlines. Just out of curiosity, I checked Amtrak from Denver to Sacramento and got a price of $ 292 with a roomette. Wow ! Can't pass that up. I am booked for May 24th. I could do that part of the Zephyr route every week, and never get tired of it.
Posts: 133 | From: Canaan, CT | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vicki
Member # 3410

Member Rated:
Unfortunately, my employer requires at least 6 weeks notice for time off and my husband has to choose his vacation dates in Jan. of each year. This eliminates any chance of spur-of-the-moment trips for us.

So, if we're going to take Amtrak it looks like we'll either have to travel coach or pay through the nose for a sleeper. Right now I don't know if I can live with either option.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page