RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Another Autotrain question -- new car?

Author Topic: Another Autotrain question -- new car?
NYRailFan
Member # 2692

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for NYRailFan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would you take a new car onto the Autotrain? I haven't read about a lot of damage to cars, but I admit to worrying about taking a new car. We have a second car that is in pretty good condition that we could take.
Posts: 26 | From: New York | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim
Member # 65

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've taken the autotrain about a dozen times and never worried about damage. When you check in they videotape your car so if you discover any damage at the end there is a record so tehre is no "he said she said." Never noticed anyone else with any problems either and some people take some VERY NICE vehicles with them!
Posts: 72 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ira Slotkin
Member # 81

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ira Slotkin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recall a couple of posts here a few years ago about damage to the suspension from cars being tied/chained down too tightly. With so many cars transported by train from manufacturers to dealers is seems that the technology would be there to load and secure vehicles safely and with no damage.

I have no personal experience with the autotrain though, and I know there are a number of members - like Jim above - with many trips worth of experiences, so perhaps they'll post...

Posts: 300 | From: Denver, CO USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
abefroman329
Member # 3986

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for abefroman329     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ira Slotkin:
I recall a couple of posts here a few years ago about damage to the suspension from cars being tied/chained down too tightly.

I read one story in particular about a passenger who took the Auto Train and had to pay several hundred dollars in repairs as a result of the above - along with some replies suggesting the mechanic in Orlando performed some unnecessary repairs. Don't recall if it was here or on another forum.

I would call your auto insurance company and see if they'll cover any possible damage - somehow I doubt it, but it's worth looking into.

Posts: 76 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have fifteen AT trips over the years, and never damage to any of my "not exactly econobox' autos.
Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ira Slotkin:
I recall a couple of posts here a few years ago about damage to the suspension from cars being tied/chained down too tightly. With so many cars transported by train from manufacturers to dealers is seems that the technology would be there to load and secure vehicles safely and with no damage.

I rememeber that also. The whole thing sounded like something for use in the Scott Adams' Dilbert book on human(?) Weasels. Sounded more like the guy ran into a scam artist and then tried to pass the scam on to Amtrak. As you say, most cars get their first ride from manufacturer to dealer or port to dealer by rail, and that is in trains where there will be no complainers about spilled coffee due to rough train handling.
Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NYRailFan
Member # 2692

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for NYRailFan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for the information. We will probably take the Autotrain to Florida and drive back (stopping several places). Right now, I have a reservation for both directions, but will probably change it in the next few days. We're really looking forward to this trip, as we usually travel on the Silver Star/Meteor.
Posts: 26 | From: New York | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MILW
Member # 2538

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MILW     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What they say about auto repair in Florida is true....I have found.

Be careful of auto repair shops in Florida and refuse help from anyone that pulls over to assist on the side of the road (except AAA tow trucks or State Patrol).

I had a flat tire in Western Florida and the only open place that would take me and guarantee tire replacement the same day was WalMart. I had some guy pull over to help me while I was waiting for a two truck but was more interested in what was in the car then helping with the problem, he quickly split when the State Patrol showed up.

Walmart snapped off two of bolts to the wheel from over-tightening. Also, Goodyear tire shops will not service Walmart installed Goodyear tires because they have a exclusive marketing agreement with Walmart (nice...huh?).

I stopped at a hotel and asked for a good local dealership and had to fork over some money and spend a overnight to get the bolts fixed. What a nightmare!!!

Posts: 14 | From: Dallas,TX | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't gurantee Goodyear's honesty with this, either. A number of years ago a Goodyear in Memphis tried to sell my mother an unnecessary brake job. When I showed up there the next day I got the "Oh that person is no longer with us" and the "we don't know how that could have happened" song and dance. Last time I ever darkened their door.
Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page