RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Pacific Parlour car in service now?

Author Topic: Pacific Parlour car in service now?
hookedup
Member # 1691

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for hookedup     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have read that the Parlour cars on the Starlight are going to be out of service for refurb. Is this true? Does anyone know when? We have a trip coming up in a couple of weeks and I was hoping that we would get to experience this finally! If they are not there do they substitute with a different car?
I am pretty clueless about how all this works. Thanks!

Posts: 45 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PaulB
Member # 4258

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for PaulB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, they go one by one back to Beech Grove Indiana for overhaul. One has already returned.

There are 5 parlour cars for the 4 trainsets needed for the Coast Starlight. Under ideal conditions, each train would still have a parlour car if one is back in Indiana. However, this sometimes isn't the case. They try to substitute a regular sightseer lounge, but sometimes there is no substitute car-wine tasting takes place in the dining car.

Posts: 286 | From: Knee deep in the retention tank | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have all five remaining with Amtrak undergone the initial Pacific parlour car treatment? For some reason I thought one never got the new interior and only has some new furnishings (but did get exterior paint/decal change)

And then there is the missing lounge that Amtrak sold. I wonder where she is now? If I remember right it was 39971.

--------------------
Matt
Visit gallery for photos of our train layouts

Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PaulB
Member # 4258

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for PaulB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've heard rumors that Amtrak held on to a Hi-Level Lounge and didn't change it into a Parlour interior. I've also heard rumors that Amtrak still has a Hi-Level Diner.

Nothing to confirm that, though.

Posts: 286 | From: Knee deep in the retention tank | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I look at the webcam of the Coast Starlight everyday and 90% of the time it has a Parlour Car. Most of the time when there is not, they dont even substitute it.

I will be going to Oregon in April from Los Angeles. The trip will not be the same without a Parlour Car. Hopefully there will be one.

Edit: Today's 14 did not have a Parlour [Frown]

Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dotshub1
Member # 4015

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dotshub1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can you tell me the web site for the coast starlight web cam you mentioned? and what time of day to look for it?
thanks
Larry

Posts: 14 | From: Tampa, Fl | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PaulB
Member # 4258

Member Rated:
www.trainorders.com

Click on Dunsmuir webcam

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page