RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Cheap Accomodations near Clevland Amtrak station

Author Topic: Cheap Accomodations near Clevland Amtrak station
johnhedge
Member # 4241

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for johnhedge     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I cross posted this on Thorn Tree Forum.

I am looking for cheap accomodations near the Cleveland Ohio Amtrak station. I Goggled and only found a guest house at $39.95 per night. I am looking at 2 nights.

As I will have just finished my Poor Boys Train Trip my funds-a-low and I am not prepared to spend that kind of money at this time, with the other costs involved.

Any help would be appreciated.

--------------------
Poor Boys Train Trip Live Journal
http://johnhedge.livejournal.com/

Posts: 27 | From: Virginia | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnhedge
Member # 4241

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for johnhedge     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An addendum

How do I subscribe to a post so that I am notified when a new reply is posted?

--------------------

Posts: 27 | From: Virginia | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You may be out of luck on this one. $39.95 per night is pretty much rock bottom for Cleveland, which has never blossomed into the "vacation destination" the Chamber of Commerce was praying for on the day they cut the ribbon at the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame.

The city has no hostels, no dirt-cheap centrally located motels, and only the usual downtown chain hotels (Hyatt, Holiday Inn, etc.) to choose from -- and not very many of them at that. Even when bidding on Priceline, I've never gotten anything for under $45 per night.

It's possible that Case Western Reserve University (near downtown) rents empty beds in dorm rooms when classes aren't in session. It might be worth contacting their student housing office to ask. However, since all Amtrak trains arrive in or depart from Cleveland after midnight, you'd undoubtedly have to wait around for many hours before checking in and after checking out.

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I cannot help you about anything cheaper. In fact, though I really liked my trip to Cleveland, it is not a town where I would not stay in too cheap a place. Have you checked if the guest house will let you arrive in the middle of the night? Most do not.

When I went to Cleveland, I stayed at the Hampton Court. It was near the train station (though I still recommend taking a taxi in the wee hours). I know it is more than you want to spend, but I did get a "free" night of sorts--I arrived around 5AM (I was on a somewhat late Lateshore Ltd) and they let me have the room even though I wasn't booked till that night. It included continental breakfast too.

I think there is a Comfort Inn downtown that might be a little cheaper, but it won't be much less then $89 unless you maybe try priceline.

Case Western is not really that near the train--the taxi to it would cost a fair amount, I would think. The campus is very nice, and the University Circle museums (art, natural history) and nearby botanical garden all very nice too. And I loved the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame. I also took a boat ride in Cleveland, quite enjoyable.

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnhedge
Member # 4241

Member Rated:
Several properties near Strongsville, which is 1/2 way to Columbia Station are $39.00 I figure to take RTA to airport and hope to catch a shuttle to the hotel.

Only problem is train gets in at 0215 or later. The station is open from 2130 to 1300. Is it ok to sleep at the station? Is there an all night cafe nearby?

Don't look forward to sleeping in the train station, but the options are slim.

--------------------

sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The station was modern in a somewhat space agey area (not far from Rock n Roll Hall of Fame) with nice look from outside, but the waiting room was a bit flourescent bus-station ugly on the inside, you know, plastic seats, no benches; however, I had no problem dozing on my raincoat, with overnight bag for pillow, on the floor of the station while waiting for my late eastbound Lakeshore Ltd--there were others doing the same--there had been a Yankees-Indians game and a whole group of upstate NY Yankees fans had come by train to Cleveland to see it. I am too tired to try to figure out what 2130 to 1300 means, but I recall the station had odd night hours, something like 7PM to 7AM; I imagine they stay later if a train is late.

The Hampton Inn (where I had stayed the night before) had let us stay in its lobby as long as we liked, even though we had checked out the morning before. It really was a good deal I got in Cleveland, I arrived very early on a Friday morning, was booked in the Hampton for Friday through Monday night but got to get into my room 5AMish Friday morning; checked out Tuesday morning but left my luggage checked with the front desk people, spent Tuesday doing more in Cleveland and went to a Yankees-Cleveland game with a friend, returned 11PM for free coffee and doughnuts in the lobby, got my luggage, and eventually took a taxi (with some others) to the train station (which was walking distance, but I wouldn't walk in the middle of the night in Cleveland). So I paid for 4 nights at the Hampton and pretty much got 6!

Because I had the coffee and doughnuts at the hotel, I didn't look around the train station for anything like the same. I don't recall any all night cafe and kind of doubt there is one, but there might have been vending machines. The area where the train station is is by the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame, deserted at night except for people at the station. This is my memory and 3-4 years ago, though; you might want to check with someone who knows more current info.

I don't know anything about Strongville, don't know what it is, but have you checked on the cost of a shuttle to the hotel? You could wind up spending in cab or shuttle fares much of what you save on hotel costs.

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Strongsville is an incorpororated municipality some 15 miles South of downtown Cleveland located at the intersection of I-80 (Ohio Trunpike) and I-71 and as such is a community of hotels. Even for the bargain basement 'econochains' such as Cendant Days Inn and Super 8 brands, $39 seems a bit low. My personal "minimum' is Holiday Inn Express/Marriott Fairfield; both chains have properties there and a representative rate in the $89 range.

According to www.gcrta.org there is bus service from Strongsville to Downtown Cleveland, but I'm sure the trip is long, arduous, and "not exactly' convenient to train times.

No question whatever, the hospitality industry has bounced back from it's dark days after 9/11, but of course so have room rates. Regretably, this makes traveling about "on the cheap' considerably more difficult.

I wish you well on your journeys, Mr. Hedge. You have much more "gumption' to get out than do I, as I readilly admit that if I were confronted with a lack of funds (it happens periodically), I would simply 'stay at home".

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeeCT
Member # 3241

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeeCT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cleveland being a frequent destination for me (daughter lives in area) I can answer a couple of your questions.
The station is strangely remote even though it is close to the downtown area. It is actually difficult to find because of poor signage. It appears cut off from downtown because of the Interstate Highway system as well as the tracks themselves.
The station is "functional" --- that is plastic seats (no benches), a soda machine, a chip machine an a machine that dispenses a murky liquid it calls coffee. Rest rooms of course. I have always found the staff there to be friendly and helpful. (A plus since the station operates only in the middle of the nite.)
There are no neighboring diners or coffee shops. As a matter of fact the whole station area is remarkably dark and unlit. (Even the station parking lot, though safe because it is fenced in, is poorly lit. I also would not recommend walking to or from the station because of the hour. There are several taxis lined up in front of station when trains come in.
A consideration about finding lodging in nearby towns would be the running schedule of the Metra(?). In all my time spent at the Cleveland station I do not recall ever seeing them running and there is a Metra stop at the other end of the Amtrak parking lot. --Dee

Posts: 460 | From: North Central CT | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've just taken a look at the Bidding for Travel web site, where travelers who've bid for hotel rooms on Priceline.com post their winning bids. Several have recently gotten quite decent downtown Cleveland hotels for $40-45 per night (one even landed something for $36, which is relatively rare).

You can see the latest winning bids for Cleveland here:

http://p070.ezboard.com/fpricelineandexpediabiddingfrm250

The above site isn't affiliated with Priceline. It's simply where travelers post their winning bids.

So if you have a choice between staying at a $39.95 motel out in the boondocks or (for only a few bucks more) a nice centrally located hotel? I'd advise you to give Priceline a try.

www.priceline.com

Just be aware that state and local taxes are added onto the basic room price (even that $39.95 room you were quoted might end up costing at least $12-15 more after taxes).

If you decide to bid, carefully study the information you'll find on the rest of the Bidding For Travel web site before you go to the Priceline web site. Bid only for the "downtown" area, or you could end up many miles from where you need to be. And don't bid lower than the most recent winning bids posted by other travelers.

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page