RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Meeting on-board en-route on a Surfliner Train

Author Topic: Meeting on-board en-route on a Surfliner Train
SubwayNut
Member # 3948

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SubwayNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Next Friday I will be in the LA area, and will then be taking the Surfliner up the coast to Santa Barbra. (After entering LA that morning to railfan The LA Metro, and MetroLink)

The one small ligistal challange is that my dad is boarding the train en-route at Burbank Airport (Flying in on JetBlue from New York that morning), but I will board in downtown L.A. My idea is that we will agree to meet in the upper level of the front car, would something like that work (or will it be the dinnette or buisness class car).
I have a few more questions about these trains:
-Is their any particulary side of the train best to sit on for the best view?
-Will it be in pull-mode or push-mode?

And what's the deal with the fares, I am on Amtrak's website (thinking I'll get the 15% Student Advantage discout). Its seems to be $19 each for travel every day (including the fallowing Friday) except for next Friday, the 14th, when its $27. The trains are all unreserved so could I buy tickets to travel for a day earlier and use them that day without penalty? (I would pick them up in New York before I leave). Also when trying to book a ticket from Burbank Airport it says their's a $12 shipping fee, I assume he can just buy his ticket onboard without penalty.

Thank's for the help.

--------------------
Visit my trains and subways website: www.subwaynut.com (It has more then just subways!)

Posts: 38 | From: Manhattan, NY/Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PaulB
Member # 4258

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for PaulB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For a view of the ocean, sit on the left side (left side when facing in the direction of the train's travel).

Going north to Santa Barbara, the train will be in pull mode. Consist should be:
F59, Business Class car, coach/cafe, then 3 coaches.

I'm not sure about the price difference. There are blackout dates (around 4th of July and Thanksgiving). Also, you can't buy a ticket with an off-peak season price and use it during the peak season. Check with the ticket agent about blackout dates.

Since Burbank Airport is an unstaffed station, he can buy his ticket onboard without penalty.

Regarding the LA Metro: Buy a day pass for $3 and you can ride all over the system (buses, subway, and light rail). Ticket machines are located at the entrances to both the Gold and Red lines.

Posts: 286 | From: Knee deep in the retention tank | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you just coming to Santa Barbara for the day? If not, Google Carfree Santa Barbara for lots of suggestions. If you are staying over make sure you have a place to stay reserved in advance. That will be Good Friday/Easter Weekend and most places will be full and/or have a two night minimum.

If your Dad wants to have a ticket in hand you could always reserve it with a phone call and then pick it up at a station near your home. No shipping charge that way. It is, as PaulB says, possible to buy the ticket on board with no penalty. You should have no difficulty connecting with your dad at BUR. The platform is not that long. Just make sure he's on the side closest to the airport when the train comes in. That is usually the side for the Northbound trains.

Have a great trip and enjoy Southern California and Santa Barbara. I'd be happy to answer any questions you have about my hometown.

Frank in sunny but cool SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page