RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Mexican passenger trains

Author Topic: Mexican passenger trains
amtrakwine
Member # 4265

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for amtrakwine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can anybody out there tell me if Mexico still runs [Cool] [Cool] passenger trains out of Nuevo Laredo or Matamoras? I have been kicking around the idea of a trip anywhere they might still run. thanks [Confused]
Posts: 22 | From: Austin Texas | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aquilla Azteca?, Gone Adios

The only railroad operated train is the Los Mochis-Creel (maybe Chihauaha) Copper Canyon Limited. Supposedly, there are some "mixtos' about the system as well.

I made that journey during 1975; it was memorable to this day.

It is my understanding that the US roads, namely KCS and UP, that made substantial investment in the Mexican system's privatization initiative quickly set forth that the passenger trains would be gone and that no government agency was even to THINK about a Mextrak.

I would think that a "case for the LD" could be made in Mexico to a far greater extent than in the USA. However the roads, having signed that "Faustian pact with the Devil" known as Amtrak, were not about to repeat same South of the Border.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amtrakwine
Member # 4265

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for amtrakwine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the info. I was looking forward to planning a Mexico train trip, I guess this will not happen.I wish I would have thought of this 5 years ago.
Posts: 22 | From: Austin Texas | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are excursion trains, such as the representative tour linked below, that go "Down Mexico way". There in your $1200/day cocoon, one could be hermatically insulated away from local "color'.

http://www.tourvacationstogo.com/mexico_tours.cfm?npid=259&nhr=1

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dfwguy
Member # 3082

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dfwguy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We took the FN de M train from Monterrey to Veracruz (changed trains in Mexico DF) back in early 80's ...and glad we did-- rolling stock was old retired US mainline stock- an incredible journey...especially thru the coffee plantaions between Mex DF and Veracruz) Sadly it's now gone....I did some research on this recently- The lines were chopped up and I think most were bought by Kansas City Southern (KCS) - and no pax service -only cargo
Posts: 23 | From: dallas, tx USA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought I read that Mexico was thinking of bringing back some passenger trains. But maybe they were more local.
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mexico is or was Planing a a High Speed inter city line, I dont know about how its working out though, Maybe when I'm in Mexico again I can Find out.

--------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

My MySpace

CoastStarlight@Gmail.com

Amtrak Pages WebSite

Posts: 989 | From: DIAMOND BAR CA. U.S. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amtrakwine
Member # 4265

Rate Member
I do not want to be in a cocoon. The local color is what I would travel by rail in Mexico for. Shoot even a mixed train would work. That is kind of like an ocean cruise on a freighter.
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Mexico is or was Planing a a High Speed inter city line, I dont know about how its working out though, Maybe when I'm in Mexico again I can Find out

Quite correct, JONATHON, but even at your age, you have learned that talk is cheap - and consultants do have a way of ensuring their bread is buttered.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-speed_rail#Mexico

rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My last trip to Mexico was in 1998, and it included a hi-rail trip from a place called Acambaro to Lazaro Cardenas, a port on the Pacific Ocean. Spectacular trip -- it included "La Marquesa", at 425 above the Balsas River the highest railroad bridge in North America (and yes, Mexico is in North America).

We met the passenger train not far out of Lazaro Cardenas. He had backed into a siding to clear for us -- three 1980s Hitachi (I think) coaches and a GP38. I doubt that train still runs.

Besides the Copper Canyon, there is a "Tequila Express" from Guadalajara to a tequila distillery nearby (a day trip) and the "Expreso Maya", which I think still runs between Palenque and Merida. Both are tour trains.

Aside from a plan to start commuter rail service in Mexico City, there are no plans that I know of at present to revive passenger service in Mexico.

Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the Vexico City commuter service is the only plan that I have seen in the international trade press that seems to have any real possibility. It is desparately needed, but still may not happen anytime soon, as it is mired deep in the politics of the place.

The high speed scheme has had some mention, but sees to be a pipe dream at this point. These things are extremely expensive anywhere, and IMHO should not be anywhere near the top of the priorities in Mexican transportation. Now, the California high speed is another story altogether, really needed in a place that can afford it, and we wee how that is going.

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page