RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » California Zeypher Questions

Author Topic: California Zeypher Questions
travelplus
Member # 3679

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for travelplus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am now tempted to click the book button but I need to wait for a final schedule on my end. My questions are

1. From what I can see the most scenery is from Emeryville to Denver and boring from Denver to Chicago? Is this correct. What am I missing by not continuing to Chicago in terms of scenery?

2. Since I'm planning on going towards the end of June will my trip be mostly in daylight since I'm north. What parts will be in daylight? Will I miss anything important at night? I'm planning on going eastbound.

3. Will I have the same Sightseer Lounge setup where the seats face the windows as I did on my Januaray trip to New Mexico?

4. Any sample new dining menus? When will they be posted with the changes.

5. Do the Rail Guides operate during the end of June?

6. Is it true that the CZ and the Empire Builder are Amtraks Signature Routes? Will I get better service than on the Southwest Chief? I know Amtrak has the CS as one of their premium routes?

7. Do they generally use Superliner 2 Seats on the CZ? Are the coach seats refurbished to the new blue or does it look like the old style seats?

8.I'm curious as to why the train departs from Emeryville and not Okalnd Jack London Square I think something to do with the yards but I thought OKJ is a better place to board? Or is Emeryville nicer?

9. At Emeryville does the CZ board on the track closest to the station as I know the Capitol trains go to EMY? What if a Capital Train is in the station where does the CZ Park? How do I cross the tracks with my luggage?

10. What time should I figure the train arrive Denver? On the Amtrak Website it says around 8:50 most nights?

11. How is cellphone reception with Verizon?

Thanks for your help.

Posts: 259 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. I'd agree that the better scenery is Emeryville to Denver. However, if cornfields are your thing, then carry on to Chicago. You would otherwise miss the Mississippi river crossing and the suburban sprawl of Chicago (which also includes lots of rail activity).

2. Eastbound you *may* miss the descent from the mountains into Denver if the train is late. Personally I've done it both by night and by day, and both are worth experiencing - but daytime is better.

6. I can't say I've had any better service than on the other trains.

8. Emeryville is a nice enough station - modern - but you may have a long walk to get to board.

9. In my experience, yes. I've seen Capitol trains use other tracks in both directions while the CZ was boarding.

10. How long is a piece of string? I've seen it arrive early, I've been on it 5 hours late.

11. I wouldn't worry about your phone. Enjoy the scenery instead. But if you do bring it, *please* mute it.

Geoff M.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've only taken the CA Zephyr westbound from Chicago to Sacramento, but I think I can also give some input on some of your questions.

1. Yes, the exquisite scenery is west of Denver. However, Chicago is a first-class city, I do get excited crossing the Mississippi, and I thoroughly enjoyed crossing the Plains--they were interesting to see because they ARE so flat, flat as a pancake in some spots! And stopping in Ottumwa Iowa was a highlight of my trip on the Zephyr--we had a slight delay there because there was a lightning storm ahead, and most passengers got off the train and hung out on the platform. You could see the lightning on the Plains really well, large bolts in the distance, and lots of Amish people in their traditional garb were traveling on the train and got off on platform, so the whole experience had a particular 19th century "train' feel for me. Not to mention, Ottumwa is also Radar O'Reilly's home town!

But I'm not sure if this would be as much fun going west to east; it just seems less traditional to cross the Mississippi and Plains west to east--you know, non-historical; and also, going east to west, you are ANTICIPATING the really gorgeous stuff coming up, the Rockies et al--whereas, when you go west to east, you've done all that already, so the Plains are definitely a bit of a letdown, scenerywise. I'm also not sure if this portion of the trip would be as exciting if you've traveled this part of the country many times before.

As for Chicago itself, if you've never been there, it's very much worth a visit IMO; if you do go that far, I recommend that you overnight there and maybe even spend a couple of nights if possible. I esp recommend the architecture tour given by boat--the one given by someone from the architectural society; it leaves from those piers on Michigan Avenue; hotel concierges may offer a discounted price. And it's definitely kind of neat the way Chicago looms ahead when you're traveling east, a sudden big city across those flat Plains--I guess the anticipation of Chicago, for me, is something like the anticipation of the Rockies when you are heading west.

2. I don't know the answer to this question(having only gone westward, and only once, on the Zephyr), but you are definitely going at the very best time, lightwise.

3. I believe so.

4. See other strands for more info on this (and item 3 too)

5. Do you mean the Trails and Rails speakers in the sightseer lounge? When I was traveling last summer, they seemed to operate mainly on weekends but sometimes on Thursday, Friday and Monday as well. There is also a little handout pamphlet describing the route, which Amtrak usually gives sleeping car passengers. Otherwise, look into reading a book that describes the route, or printing up one from the Net. There is even a book about just the Zephyr, though a little dated still fun to read.

6. The Empire Builder was refurbished nicely before David Gunn left, and at least for a year was announcing even better food, so I suppose it is a "Signature Route," at least this year. CA Zephyr seemed similar to SW Chief to me. But when I was westbound on the SW Chief we had a new talented chef, best I ever had on Amtrak. So it depends. I liked all the western routes I took.

8. I don't know, though I'm sure someone else here will. My guess is that Oakland wouldn't work as well for all the servicing that needs to be done for a Superliner terminus point, which the Zephyr Superliner has to be.

10. There is no way of knowing. Sometimes if there is trackwork announced for a particular few weeks or something, you know you will be late; but otherwise, it is really hit and miss.

11. I don't use Verizon, but it's probably fine in most major stops and erratic elsewhere, esp while you are traveling.

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll take a stab having just been on the CZ CHI-EMY this past Tue-Thu. My answers immediatedly follow your questions so they are in bold face also.....sorry.

quote:
Originally posted by travelplus:
I am now tempted to click the book button but I need to wait for a final schedule on my end. My questions are

1. From what I can see the most scenery is from Emeryville to Denver and boring from Denver to Chicago? Is this correct. What am I missing by not continuing to Chicago in terms of scenery?

I really like the cornfields in Illinois and Iowa BUT will concede that if you are traveling eastbound they would be anticlimatic after what you will see EMY-DEN.

2. Since I'm planning on going towards the end of June will my trip be mostly in daylight since I'm north. What parts will be in daylight? Will I miss anything important at night? I'm planning on going eastbound.

Depends on timekeeping but safe to say the best parts will be in daylight.......and if you are an hour or two late that final descent into Denver is still very impressive after dark.

3. Will I have the same Sightseer Lounge setup where the seats face the windows as I did on my Januaray trip to New Mexico?

We had an unrefurbished sightseer lounge from the original superliner order on my CZ. The diner and one of the two sleepers were superliner II's. CZ is kind of a mixed bag.

4. Any sample new dining menus? When will they be posted with the changes.

New menus come to the CZ in May.

5. Do the Rail Guides operate during the end of June?

They did when I was on the CZ in June of 2004.

6. Is it true that the CZ and the Empire Builder are Amtraks Signature Routes? Will I get better service than on the Southwest Chief? I know Amtrak has the CS as one of their premium routes?

Dining car service this past week on the CZ was as good and as pleasant as I have ever had on Amtrak. That too is hit and miss sadly.

7. Do they generally use Superliner 2 Seats on the CZ? Are the coach seats refurbished to the new blue or does it look like the old style seats?

Hit and miss.

8.I'm curious as to why the train departs from Emeryville and not Okalnd Jack London Square I think something to do with the yards but I thought OKJ is a better place to board? Or is Emeryville nicer?

It has to do with where the coach yard is located. Going in and out of Jack London Square station would mean back up moves down the middle of a city street. There is a Thruway bus from Jack London Square to Emeryville to connect with the CZ. I recommend using that as JLS is a more pleasant place to depart.

9. At Emeryville does the CZ board on the track closest to the station as I know the Capitol trains go to EMY? What if a Capital Train is in the station where does the CZ Park? How do I cross the tracks with my luggage?

I've never seen it not on the track nearest the station BUT.......

10. What time should I figure the train arrive Denver? On the Amtrak Website it says around 8:50 most nights?

Who knows. Anything is possible.....particularly when using Union Pacific rails.

11. How is cellphone reception with Verizon?

Surprisingly good. I have Verizon cell phone and I was able to use it most of the time I needed it. Including a bit in the desert of Eastern Utah. Obviously there are many places (like the deeper canyons) where your cellphone is going to be a useless gadget though.

Thanks for your help.

No problem......enjoy your trip.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not to be too crotchety (is that a word) but I do hope you will be considerate of other travelers. Nothing is more irritating than to be having a pleasant train ride only to be an unwilling participant to someone's cell phone conversation. Please use station stops for cell phone calls or your sleeping car room with the door shut. I am sure you would not use a cell phone in a nice restaurant, the same applies in the diner too. Maybe Amtrak should consider a 'quiet car' for one of the LD coaches?
Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by palmland:
Not to be too crotchety (is that a word) but I do hope you will be considerate of other travelers. Nothing is more irritating than to be having a pleasant train ride only to be an unwilling participant to someone's cell phone conversation. Please use station stops for cell phone calls or your sleeping car room with the door shut. I am sure you would not use a cell phone in a nice restaurant, the same applies in the diner too. Maybe Amtrak should consider a 'quiet car' for one of the LD coaches?

Point well-taken. My cell phone usage was two or three calls per day, none lasting more than 10 minutes, and all made either in my roomette with the door closed or on station platforms (ie: Denver) during lengthy service stops.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After reviewing this thread, I have only a few comments to offer, all of which are either moot, unreasonable, or meaningless.

First, the best Zephyr ride is Westward on #5 as EW on #6, your descent of the Front Range, even if smack on time, will be during dusk. But then, your itinerary is likely frozen at this time.

Secondly, if at all possible and recognize others here disagree, book Sleeper; Roomette for one, but Bedroom for two. I realize that I have just trebled the cost of your peak period journey, but to me, with over 250K lifetime rail miles, I would simply stay at home if funds were not there for Sleeper - and even though I find myself financially "comfortable plus" in retirement, sometimes funds are not "there' (in my barn, available credit card line does not constitute "funds").

Lastly on cellphones, somehow I wish my Motorola 5 watt 'bag phone" had not bitten the dust. It could make or receive calls anywhere. It had a full sized telephone handset so there was no need to shout. Only problem: while not to say it was the size of the "walkie-talkie' devices you see on "Hitler Channel's" WWII shows, it was nevertheless the size of a woman's purse and with its battery weighed some 5lbs.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have taken the CZ more times than I can remember both just to Denver and to the coast. I think boredom is in the eye of the beholder. I like seeing the small towns, the Mississippi River, the outskirts of Chicago and even the corn fields. Others may find them boring. I follow the route guide much of the time town wise and find it interesting. For example Princeton, Il is the "hog capital" of the world. Have I seen hogs there? well, no . But it is also the home of one of the founders of the Republican party and I don't know how many Republicans I have seen there either. As to the time the Cz leaves Denver, it's anyone's guess. The only certain thing we have found is that it has never been on time. Running from 1 hour to 9 hours late. There have been times when the arrival time changed from the time we left the house to the time we got to the station. But I like to people watch and my husband buries himself in the paper. Then too people tend to be friendly and we have had some interesting conversations while waiting.
For those who aren't aware of the fact many of the nec trains do have a quiet car. Unfortunately it isn't the business class which is what we take. While I wil use mine if necessary people who talk on cell phonesloudly and while in stores and restaurants or on the train annoy me no end. What did all these people do before there were such things?
Lastly, I agree with Sojourner, if you have never ben to Chicago ..go. It is a super city and to my mind unlike the other big cities in the country.

Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
travelplus
Member # 3679

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for travelplus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for your help. Actually I only use the cellphone if I need to call the party when to pick me up. Then I only use it in the vestibule next to the restroom or go into the restroom with a changing room to make the call more private.
Posts: 259 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let me try to fill in the blanks on a couple of questions.

quote:
Originally posted by travelplus:

Its really anybody's guess. I think the Zephyr uses whatever is available. Most Superliner I cars have now been refurbished, and a few have been completely rebuilt. If you get a Superliner I it probably won't have the original upholstery. It will either have the new blue stuff or the intermediate pink and grey.

quote:
The reason it departs from Emeryville is because the staging yard is between Oakland and Emeryville. To start the train in Oakland requires backing up the train a few miles from the yard, which takes time and costs money. Emeryville isn't as nice as Jack London Square, but it'll do.
Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray S
Member # 3175

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray S     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Mr. Norman's point on getting a sleeper. If it is in the budget it makes for a much more enjoyable trip in my opinion.

I also agree with Train Lady about the scenery. I really enjoy the small towns, the red barns and the corn fields.

My next trip on the CZ is June 18th from Chicago after a nights layover. Silver Service from Florida to Washington and Capitol Limited to Chicago.

Ray

Posts: 70 | From: West Palm Beach, Fl. USA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rtabern
Member # 4306

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rtabern   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. The best scenery is from Emeryville to Chicago with the Sierra Nevada of California and the Rockies being the top. I wouldn't say the scenery from Denver to Chicago is "boring". I mean it's not as scenic, but it's also fun seeing the small towns of Iowa and Illinois -- and it's kinda fun coming into Chicago and seeing the Sears Tower and urban sprawl. If you only had time to do one route, I would do EMY to DEN, but it's worth it I think to do the whole route too. You get a real slice of the country.

2. It depends how late your train is mainly as to what you'll see... and sometimes it's a trade-off. When I took the route east-bound like you are back in August we were running 6 hours late. So I missed some of the scenery between Glenwood Springs and Denver, but we were so late it was light crossing the Great Salt Lake... which was a cool experience few get to see in daylight.

3. I think that also depends. Whenever I have been on the CZ, the lounge cars were all older ones... with just the chairs upstairs. You might get a renovated lounge car with tables, but you might not. It depends what they put on.

4. The "change" in food service starts May 22nd.

5. Yes. However, if the train is very late you might not get a rail guide.

6. The CZ is one of the more popular routes, but it's not the signature service. Only the EB is. There was talk of making the CZ signature service after work was done to re-furbish the EB. However, I think that was never done and won't be now with the cuts being put in place.

7. Again, probably both. You might get a refurbished coach/sleeper and you might not. I have never got a refurbished lounge (blue seats and tables) but as they convert over more, you're probably more likely to see them.

8. Both are about the same. I am not sure why they board the train in Emeryville because the train actually starts in Oakland (minus passengers). They are very close together. But when our train was late at EMY they said the train was being fixed in Oakland and would be on its way later to EMY.

9. It usually boards on the track closest to the station... the Capital train when it came was on the next track (second from the station) when I was there in EMY.

10. Denver... yeah, I would say anywhere between on-time and 10:30pm seems to be a good bet.

11. Not sure about Verizon. I have Cingular. I got reception in most cities... sometimes there were spots where you wouldn't get any service or just 911 access. I think in rural western Iowa and in Nevada it was an issue.

Thanks for your help.

Posts: 100 | From: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Having travelled the CZ from Omaha to Reno several times...

1) Boring scenery??? I don't think so. This is one of the best rides in America.

EB on 6 going up Soldier Grade at dawn is as wonderful as going up the Front Range on WB 5.

The Colorado River Gorge in the gathering dusk is as beautiful as the lands west of Grand Junction.

The CZ is one train designed to maximize the scenery on its run (which leaves the folks getting on in Lincoln NE to the middle of the night either way.)

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've made the trip both eastbound and westbound several times, and I'll second the motion about the climb out of Salt Lake City. Try to be in the Sightseer Lounge as you leave Provo. The trip up the Spanish Fork and then over Soldier Summit to Helper is every bit as spectacular as the ascent from Denver.

And the prairies, with respect, are *not* flat. Crossing Iowa, you will probably repeatedly overtake eastbound coal trains laboring up the many 1% grades. The rail line runs "across the grain" of the drainage pattern, into and out of many valleys. It's not the Rockies, but it's not flat.

I also second the motion about Chicago. I lived there for five years, and I love that city.

Have a great trip!

Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zephyr
Member # 1651

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zephyr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quote train lady: "...Princeton,IL is the 'hog capital' of the world."

Lest we not offend their nearby neighbors, Kewanee is the hog capital of the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kewanee,_Illinois

Now, some may say this particular distinction clearly belongs to a larger community located a few hundered miles to the east. But can we agree it's not fair to compare amateurs with professionals? Let's let Kewanee wallow in the glory of being "the hog capital of the world."

Posts: 445 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
zepher, hog capitals is something you will have to discuss with Amtrak. Their route guide gives that "honor" to Princeton. But in the scheme of things I guess it doesn't make a whole lot of difference but thanks for the info.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zephyr
Member # 1651

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zephyr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heavens, could it be there is incorrect information in an Amtrak route guide? Maybe the same person who authored the Coast Starlight timetable also did the CZ route guide.

A few years back, I spent some time in both towns. One thing I recall about Amtrak's hog capital was a road sign as you entered town that said: "Princeton: An Amtrak Community." Only time I've seen such signage. But for a small town, it does have great pax rail service (CZ, SWC, and Illinois Zephyr).

Thirty or so miles down the road is Kewanee (CZ & SWC pass through, but only the IZ serves). As you drive into town, it's welcome sign lets you know you are entering "The Hog Capital of the World." Signage just beyond the welcome sign: "No U-Turn."

Posts: 445 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
How could one even think there could possibly be incorrect info in a route guide. MIne says "Kewanee. The small industrial city of kewanee was settled along side the Spoon River in 1836 by New Englanders"
Five minutes away is Princeton. For that it says"One of the founders of the Republican Party, John Bryant made his home in Princeton.It was settled by New Englanders in 1833. It is the pig capital of the world. The small red and brown A-frame houses in the fields are what the pigs call home."

Being totally clueless about farming maybe it's my mistake. Are pigs and hogs the same animal?
Will some knowledgeable person clue me in?

zephyr
Member # 1651

Yes, train lady, I'm suggesting the route guide is incorrect. Here's the definitive source on such important matters:

http://www.epodunk.com/slogans/animals.html

Please note epodunk doesn't recognize a "pig" capital. And the route guide's bit about the "...A-frame houses in the fields are what the pigs call home..." beckons the question: Did Amtrak provide crayons with this publication?

Look, you seem like a very nice person. Maybe I'll have the pleasure of meeting you on the rails some day. But I can't let you go through life thinking Princeton is the Hog Capital of the World. It ain't. Google it, and you'll see Kewanee clearly holds and deserves that distinction.

If your google search still doesn't convince you, I'll send you photographic evidence (a picture of my coffee mug engraved with: "Kewanee: Hog Capital of the World"). You might be able to obtain your own fine heirloom quality mug by contacting Breedloves Sporting Goods in Kewanee.

Jeez, where's Gilbert Norman, our expert on all things Ill-Annoys, when you need him?

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry Mr. Zephyr, can't be of help regarding too much of anything West of the Fox River (sort of the "perimeter" of the Chicago Metropolitan Area).

I probably last drove through Kewaunee on US6 during 'the 80's" .

Save an annual journey to Amana IA and an Xmas party in Stillman Valley IL, what few travels I make nowadays take me East and South of CHI.

There is no "boycott the West" movement on my part; just no longer reasons to go "out there'.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zephyr
Member # 1651

Mr. Norman, why anyone like you, fortunate enough to reside in relative close proximity to the Hog Capital of the World, who doesn't take frequent and lengthy journeys there, is something I will never understand.
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Zepher, I was speaking with tongue in cheek as to Amtrak. I do hope I don't insult anyone but frankly I couldn't care less about who or where the hog or pig capital is/was. It simply came up as I tried to express my opinion that I do not find the mid west boring. I love the small towns each with its own character so I enjoy the land between Chicago and Denver. As to the crayons I assume they were all out of them that day. I think I will pass on the mug because one more mug in my kitchen and I will need another cabinet.
This is off the thread but can anyone tell me the name of the town in Wisconsin that has an annual rhutabaga festival?

zephyr
Member # 1651

The Rutabaga Festival is in Cumberland (but nowhere near as hip as Kewanee Hog Days).
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
thank you. We got stuck there in a huge traffic jam there several years ago due to the festivities. I was looking through my travel journel and found I hadn't written in the name of the town. You have supplied the missing link.(even if it doesn't have anything to do with hogs!!)

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page