RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Question 1: 448 to 67

Author Topic: Question 1: 448 to 67
Amtrak207
Member # 1307

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Amtrak207     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As part of my upcoming trip, I am looking to connect from the eastbound Lakeshore Boston spur train to train 67. You know, the ex-Federal, the exx-Twilight Shoreliner, the exxx-Executive Sleeper, the exxxx-Night Owl, the exxxxx-Colonial, and I'm not sure what they called it before then (Congressional?)
Anyway, I got my new timetable today and the 448-67 connection time is listed at 3 hours and 15 minutes (6:30P-9:45P), qualifying for a guaranteed connection. This is the closest connection in my entire trip, and I want to make it work. My traveling companion and myself are through-ticketed. I've noticed that 448's timekeeping, while not exactly stellar, has been good enough to make the connection the vast majority of the time.
Train 67's schedule is padded out the wazoo. A weekday (rush hour) regional train takes 8 hours BOS-WAS and Acela can do it in 6:34. Train 67's comfortably-padded schedule (with sixteen minutes in New Haven, an hour in NYP and 20 minutes in Philadelphia) gives it fourteen hours and five minutes. Granted, it's making almost every stop along the way.
What are the chances this train will be held for connecting passengers from a delayed 448? Has anyone got any experience making or breaking this connection?
Also, what equipment is used for business class on this train? I know it doesn't have a sleeper anymore, but what's the consist like? I have booked business class in the hope of being able to sleep better. What qualifies as business class on 67? A third of a cafe or an Amfleet II coach?
My guess is this: a baggage car, Technicolor Amfleet I coaches for the coach section, an Amfleet I cafe car for the requisite food service, and either a third of the cafe or an Am II (long-distance) coach for biz class.
I live and travel along the Empire Corridor, so I'm not used to Metroliner equipment. What kind of upgrades happen on those cars, and are they featured on this train?
All I want is a quiet, comfortable car to attempt to sleep in (not likely, I'll be up all night foaming) with the possibility of finding a pair of seats for myself. You can probably tell by now I've never taken business class before.
Insights/experience/know-how, please?

Posts: 391 | From: Schenectady | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
448-BOS-67 should be safe; unfortunately, there are not too many opportunities to "bail out' and protect the connection other than @ Back Bay.

It is my understanding that Amtrak attempts to assign former Amclub cars with 2-1 seating to Business Class where passengers tend to ride longer distances. However, any car (including 84 seat A-I's still decorated in their "oh so 70's' motif) can be assigned.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Every business class we have taken in the last4 years has been 2 and 2 seating. there is more space between the seats and they have leg rests. On the trip from DC to Charleston last June we were given pillows and blankets. Never on the trips north probably because there is no need. We are only going to Ct. The free drink situation has been different on each train. I think it depends on the lounge attendent.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jp1822
Member # 2596

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jp1822     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The 1/2 Cafe and 1/2 Business Class Car with their 2-1 seating are becoming pretty popular on trains, as Mr. Norman mentioned. We are seeing more around b/c these are the most recently refurbished cars, and some were also in the Clocker trainsets (they put on the Clockers what ever they could find around). I've ridden more in the 2-1 seating lately than the 2-2 seating when in business class.
Posts: 337 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amtrak207
Member # 1307

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amtrak207     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amtrak must be (FINALLY!) standardizing their equipment offerings because Empire trains are all two and two in the front third of the cafe car behind a curtain. The rest of the cafe will still have orange wall panels and tables. I honestly can't stand the cafes made up a few years ago that were without tables.
Thanks for your inputses-any idears what numbering series these 2 by 1 Club cars are?

Posts: 391 | From: Schenectady | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jp1822
Member # 2596

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jp1822     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I just rode the Ethan Allen Express this past weekend, and the Maple Leaf a few months ago. Both are trains on the "Empire Corridor" and they had the 2-1 "Club" seating.

Amtrak 207 - The Empire trains that you are seeing with 2-2 seating in business class - these are cars that are 1/2 business class and 1/2 cafe? Are the seats cloth or leather material? Just curious, b/c I only recall the 2-1 configuration being overhauled and in service for this "Club" style of a car that is 1/2 cafe and 1/2 business class.

Posts: 337 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amtrak207
Member # 1307

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amtrak207     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe I missed something.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page