RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Amtrak's 35th Birthday

Author Topic: Amtrak's 35th Birthday
BNSF 1088
Member # 2400

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for BNSF 1088   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
May 1st is almost here. It's time for All_Aboard members to get ready to
celebrate!
Celebrate what? Amtrak's 35th Birthday!

How can we celebrate Amtrak's birthday? On May 1st we should attempt to meet
at least one train at each Amtrak station in the country and celebrate
Amtrak's birthday with cake and coffee, or something similar. While there we
can
greet boarding passengers, share cake and coffee, make a small pitch for saving
Amtrak and its trains at that station, and welcome arriving passengers with
the same hospitality.

Why should we do this? To raise the public's awareness of the importance of
Amtrak to their travel and the local community. Call the local mayor,
Chamber, and media ahead of time. Invite them to the party and visit with them
about
the importance of Amtrak to their community.

Members of this list are from various states. Each of us knows others in our
state who could help make this celebration a reality. Raising the profile of
passenger rail, especially in "Red" states is very important, since 23 "Red"
states would lose passenger service if the long distance trains are lost.
"Red" state Congresspersons and Senators need to know that Amtrak is important
to
their states and communities.

I live about a 4 hour drive from the nearest Amtrak station (San Antonio),
but I am willing to travel there or to other more isolated Amtrak stations in
western Texas if that would help. Small towns are often the ones that would be
hurt the most by loss of Amtrak service. Unfortunately, people in the
community are often unaware of Amtrak's importance to their town, and even
unaware
that Amtrak is in trouble. So it is important for passenger rail supporters to
get the message out.

Anyone willing to give this a try?

Henry Wulff

--------------------
Matt Marderosian
Director Of
Save Our Trains Michigan
www.saveourtrainsmichigan

Save Our Trains Mississippi
www.saveourtrainsmississippi.com

Posts: 210 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BNSF 1088
Member # 2400

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for BNSF 1088   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Save Our Trains Mississippi will have a Birthday Party for Amtrak at the Meridian MS Amtrak Station on April 29th 2006 which will be Saturday.

We will serve coffee and a Birthday cake the party will start at 10:30 am.

--------------------
Matt Marderosian
Director Of
Save Our Trains Michigan

Posts: 210 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What a Perfect day for to do it on- Because of the Protest, I wont be in school that day!

--------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

My MySpace

CoastStarlight@Gmail.com

Amtrak Pages WebSite

Posts: 989 | From: DIAMOND BAR CA. U.S. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amtrak207
Member # 1307

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amtrak207     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe you have some reading to do.
http://www.amtrak.com/pdf/First_Amendment012406.pdf

Posts: 391 | From: Schenectady | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BNSF 1088
Member # 2400

Rate Member
I help promote Amtrak trains that run thru the State of MS from this web site

--------------------
Matt Marderosian
Director Of
Save Our Trains Michigan

RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Huh????? I'm confused by Jonathon's and Amtrak207's posts -- what "protest" are you talking about, Jonathon? I think you're WAY too young to get involved in that.......

Amtrak207 - what do the "first amendment rights" have to do with a birthday celebration at an AMTRAK station? Are you implying that the planned Mississippi celebration may be illegal?

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From a review of the Amtrak.com material submitted by Mr. Amtrak 207, I believe it would be in the best interest of the Save Our Trains group to seek the necessary permits before engaging in a '35th Birthday" activity on Amtrak property.

While certainly such is a gesture being made in good faith, Amtrak may have concerns regarding both health and civil liability issues with an unlicensed and uninsured outside concern serving foodstuffs, even if complimentary, to passengers while on their premises.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BNSF 1088
Member # 2400

Rate Member
I am already cleared for events like this.

--------------------
Matt Marderosian
Director Of
Save Our Trains Michigan

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I respect that, Mr. Marderosian.

That your organization (as well as you being employed in the industry) recognizes such matters are potentially on the table, unfortunately does not mean any others reading the material at All-Aboard and planning a similat "event' are like informed.

Best they be safe and not sorry.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BNSF 1088
Member # 2400

Rate Member
Here is the thing as long as you don't force your self onto the passengers you will be all right.

And 2nd is that Amtrak owns a small part of the stations which in that case Amtrak has less control but then you get into city rules but it is always a catch 22 because Amtrak is public and the city is public.

The point that is coming out of this is as long as you don't make the passengers feel unsafe or they feel like your buging them you will be allright.

People can try to hand out fliers to people that want them but just don't force them as far as coffee and cake yes that would be a grey area.

--------------------
Matt Marderosian
Director Of
Save Our Trains Michigan

JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RRRICH:
Huh????? I'm confused by Jonathon's and Amtrak207's posts -- what "protest" are you talking about, Jonathon? I think you're WAY too young to get involved in that.......

Amtrak207 - what do the "first amendment rights" have to do with a birthday celebration at an AMTRAK station? Are you implying that the planned Mississippi celebration may be illegal?

May first is the set date of protesting imagration reform

--------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

My MySpace

CoastStarlight@Gmail.com

Amtrak Pages WebSite

Posts: 989 | From: DIAMOND BAR CA. U.S. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
delvyrails
Member # 4205

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for delvyrails     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
May 1 is a date that gets tangled with all sorts of radicalism. Amtrak is not a radical issue; it's really a conservative and even a progressive one.

Why not observe support for rairoad passenger service on an appropriate anniversary nine days later, the wedding of the rails at Promontory, Utah on May 10, 1869?

John Pawson

--------------------
John Pawson

Posts: 137 | From: Willow Grove, PA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
It appears that an "alternative celebration' is also being set for A-Day: American Enterprise Institute
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
JONATHON--

According to a WBBM 780 report, if you were a student in the Chicago Public School district, and chose to participate in imagration(sic) reform activities during school hours, you will be marked with an unexcused absence.

Kairho
Member # 1567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kairho   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm holding out for May 5.....
Posts: 363 | From: Southwest North Central Florida | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ira Slotkin
Member # 81

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ira Slotkin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JONATHON:
[/qb]

May first is the set date of protesting imagration reform [/QB][/QUOTE]

We'll be with the marchers here in Denver, Jonathon. Worth an unexcused absence to stand up for what you think and believe is right. One way to change the world.

I hope you have a great train trip.

Ira

Posts: 300 | From: Denver, CO USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Thanks!!! Ira Slotkin!!!

--------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

My MySpace

CoastStarlight@Gmail.com

Amtrak Pages WebSite

JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:
JONATHON--

According to a WBBM 780 report, if you were a student in the Chicago Public School district, and chose to participate in imagration(sic) reform activities during school hours, you will be marked with an unexcused absence.

not down here in Cali, Last time we had a walk-out, and were cited by police, This time my school is going into a lock-down and the Pomona Police Department will be on campus at all times, but I'm not worried about walking out, because I'm just not gonna go to school.

--------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

My MySpace

CoastStarlight@Gmail.com

Amtrak Pages WebSite

rY.
Member # 3528

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rY.   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With all due respect to Gilbert, we Californians do things a little differently out here. I still remember protesting the first gulf war while attending Middle School in Santa Monica.

(oops, I guess my age is showing here...)

Anyway, go for it Jonathan! Stay safe, but hold fast to your convictions!

Posts: 108 | From: Culver City, CA, US | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ira Slotkin
Member # 81

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ira Slotkin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
More like your youth is showing, I think rY, compared to some of us. I was 15 when I, along with dozens of others, traveled by bus in 1965 from St Louis to Montgomery AL on the anniversary of the Selma to Montgomerty civil rights march. Tens of thousands of people of all ages from across the country came. Many different ages and races. Common goal. If more people had stood up for their convictions I'd have lost fewer relatives in the Holocaust, and there'd be louder protests about the genocide in Africa. And perhaps more acknowledgement that all but the Native American have illegal immigrant roots here...

My son (8 1/2 and a veteran of political/social protests by the way)was recently singing a song with this chorus:

In fourteen hundred and ninety two
Columbus sailed the ocean blue
It was a courageous thing to do
But someone was already here.

Ah, but I wax political on a train board.... Does "child of the sixties" heart good. Now if we could just muster something like a mass march on Washington to get adequate passenger rail funding. Wow...

Ira

Posts: 300 | From: Denver, CO USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:
JONATHON--

I took an unexcused absence myself (being a faculty member!) last year to picket that federal boondoggle roadshow otherwise known as the Norm Minetta Amtrak Reform Press Conference when it came to Charlotte, NC last year.

The right to bear picket signs in peaceful protest is truly American.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rY.
Member # 3528

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rY.   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right on, Ira! And I totally support a rail-on-Washington! I only hope that, given current time keeping, I'd be able to get there in time! (ha)

(Showing age, youth, lack thereof, or excess -- it's all relative!)

Posted from San Joaquin 711!

Posts: 108 | From: Culver City, CA, US | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page