RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Gas near LAUPT?

Author Topic: Gas near LAUPT?
ehbowen
Member # 4317

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ehbowen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, all--

Our big family Disneyland trip is coming up in a little more than a week. One thing I'm wondering, though, is if there's any place to fill up with gas near Union Station--we'll be renting two cars from Hertz (11 passengers!). Any advice on local gas stations, preferably on the way in from Disney, would be much appreciated. Thanks.

--------------------
--------Eric H. Bowen

Stop by my website: Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables of the great trains of the past!

Posts: 413 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ehbowen
Member # 4317

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ehbowen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, one more thing--the station would need to be open on a Sunday early afternoon.

--------------------
--------Eric H. Bowen

Stop by my website: Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables of the great trains of the past!

Posts: 413 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A few months ago I returned a Hertz car to the Downtown Marriott, and I had no idea of a location of a nearby service station. Fortunately my car was equipped with the Hertz Neverlost GPS system, I used the yellow pages category to find a route to the nearest gas station which worked perfectly (somewhere on Olympic Blvd). If you don't have the Neverlost in your car, try going online with a Los Angeles Yellow pages search for service stations. I'm sure there are several not too far from Union Station which is on Alameda Street.
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MontanaJim
Member # 2323

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MontanaJim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i saw some gas stations going north on chavez ravine (which turns into sunset boulevard) when i walked to dodger stadium from the train station when i was in LA in december. the stations are no more than a quarter to a half mile away from the station.
Posts: 416 | From: St. Albans, Vermont | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just a thought; "gas 'em up' at the most convenient place. If you are short, the $7/ga "refueling charge' will only apply to the amount of such that Hertz refuels.

But, as a Hertz customer myself (last time i rented from someone else was 1998), wave a fuel receipt in their face from anywhere in the vicinity, and they will consider the autos as "refueled".

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recall a Chevron located near Union Station. You should see it after you exit the 110 S/N (If that's the way your coming in).

Enjoy.

Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey there, "e.h"! Got a better idea -- why not take the train (Pacific Surfliner) from LAUPT all the way to Anaheim, where the station is just a couple miles from Disneyland? (and where the ability to find a gas station may be easier!)

Just a thought........

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
delvyrails
Member # 4205

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for delvyrails     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Woudn't be a problem if you could put your car on the train.

--------------------
John Pawson

Posts: 137 | From: Willow Grove, PA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ehbowen
Member # 4317

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by RRRICH:
Hey there, "e.h"! Got a better idea -- why not take the train (Pacific Surfliner) from LAUPT all the way to Anaheim, where the station is just a couple miles from Disneyland? (and where the ability to find a gas station may be easier!)

Just a thought........

I would if Disney were the ONLY thing we were doing. But we're spending three nights in Hollywood; driving up through the Angeles Forest to Palmdale/Lancaster to show the kids where Nana and Pawpaw and Uncle Eric and Mommy used to live; going horseback riding in the mountains near Topanga; having a big family dinner for 13 on the Santa Monica pier; going deep-sea fishing from Marina del Rey; the old folks are spending a day on Catalina Island; my BIL wants to take a tour of the Fender guitar factory...I could go on.

Bottom line: We NEED a car. Actually, two cars. And it's much more convenient to pick them up downtown at LAUPT rather than having to make arrangements at Anaheim. Plus, we would be connecting from the Sunset Limited. Need I say more?

Don't feel sorry for Amtrak losing out on our business between LA and Anaheim. They've been holding the money for ten first-class round-trip fares from Houston to LA since last June, including the full duration of the time when it looked like they might completely shut down. (That was scary!) I think that I have honorably discharged my duties as a passenger train buff.

--------------------
--------Eric H. Bowen

gibg
Member # 2565

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gibg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's been over a year since I did this, but there was a gas station at the corner of Alameda and Cesar Chavez, one block north of LAUPT. This station also offered longer paaking than the parking lot across Alameda, which closed at 5:00 p.m. I can't remember if it was Shell or Chevron. I don't know how Hertz cars are returned now with all the contruction around LAUPT, but the counter inside was manned every day, although with different hours on weekends. Hertz's website or 800 number can give the details.
Posts: 87 | From: Snowmass, CO USA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page