RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Superliner Sleeper Question

Author Topic: Superliner Sleeper Question
ScottC4746
Member # 3323

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ScottC4746     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was just thinking on Superliners...which would be better...lower or upper floor. Upper would me quieter I would think as you are further from the rails but upper you would have more sway than lower I would imagine.
Posts: 89 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lower Level Roomettes 11-14 are my preference. Since they are close to the center of gravity and are all center-car, they ride smoother. Also, access to the shower and other facilities are the best - simply look out your door to see whether or not the shower occupied light is on.
Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ScottC4746
Member # 3323

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ScottC4746     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was going to get a deluxe Bedroom...something about having to hike down the hall for the toilet brings back bad memories of dorm life in school.
Posts: 89 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you can afford a bedroom go for it. The privacy,comfort and space are well worth the money to me. With a roomette I still prefer the upper level. I found the lower level to be colder and noiser from the tracks. If you get a bedroom try not to get room A. the configuration of it makes it smaller than the others. I also do not like room E because You can hear the people who gather in the vestibule or are going up and down stairs. I always ask for room C. (talk about being picky!)
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ScottC4746:
I was going to get a deluxe Bedroom...something about having to hike down the hall for the toilet brings back bad memories of dorm life in school.

You'll find the lower berth in the bedroom OK even though you will be upstairs. The sway is worst in the upstairs roomette upper berths......especially on sections of bad track.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All of the (formerly branded Deluxe) Bedrooms are on the Superliner Upper Level. Obviously much of what you are paying the mega-$$$$ for is your own toilet and shower. Further, you will often find, especially on routes where single level equipment is assigned, i.e. 19-20, 48-49, 50-51, 91-92, 97-98, Bedrooms are priced at more than that charged for two Roomettes. This is simply because of "supply and demand".

Togetherness costs; both in marriage and on Amtrak.

Switching subjects:

I was going to get a deluxe Bedroom...something about having to hike down the hall for the toilet brings back bad memories of dorm life in school

Next month is my 45th reunion at (boarding) school in South Kent CT (MP 88 New Haven RR Berkshire Line). They are offering us "lums' a chance to share memories in the dorms at some modest "hostel level' fee. Sorry no thanks; that is what a Marriott Courtyard 25 miles away in Danbury Ct is for.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray S
Member # 3175

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray S     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with going for the bedroom if it is within the budget.

I have found very little difference with bedrooms a-e. Had them all. Enjoyed them all. A is a little smaller but has no common wall with other bedrooms as does b,c,d,e. If b,c,d,e neighbors decide to stay up late and chat or talk on their cellphone ear plugs do the trick for me. I also carry an alarm clock that offers different white noise to help you sleep.

Ray

Posts: 70 | From: West Palm Beach, Fl. USA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am also of the "take the Deluxe Bedroom" (nee Bedroom, nee Pullman Compartment).

I have traveled with my (then) bride and a nine year old in one, there was room for the three of us, day and night.

Watching the world go by after dark is always fascinating, watching the wonders of the world go by in daylight is wonderful.

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have only traveled by bedroom once, I have though traveled by Roomette many times. I find it much more enjoyable traveling in a roomette because you across the hall from other people, and closer to your attendant (usually). I also find rooms on the upper level nice for some of those reasons, as well as not being near the bathrooms incase of some kind of problems with the toilet.

This is just me, and others have there own opinon. You really have to try it all before you can be sure. Good luck.

Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chaslett
Member # 1012

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for chaslett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
l love the lower level roomettes. I only travel on days that I can get a roomette on lower level. This means some of my trips have been a couple days longer than I plan. We regular Amtrak riders are very picky!!!
Posts: 54 | From: Chagrin Falls, OH, USA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All the replies to this post remind me of a song popular in the 1940s, To Each His Own. The best way to decide which level and room type is best is to try them all and decide which is best for you. Good luck!!!
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyTexas
Member # 4427

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for LadyTexas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am new to this forum and so happy to have found it. This is my first post, so hope I'm doing it right. My husband and I want to take the Empire Builder trip from Chicago to Portland; probably in late October. Is the roomette really large enough for 2 people? We will only have carry on luggage, but where will we put it? I'm pushing for the bedroom, but hubby wants to save the money and get the roomette.

Thanks,
LadyTexas

Posts: 10 | From: Texas | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
My husband and I "rode" in a roomette for a number of years. He is 6 ft and we had no problems being comfortable.He had the top bunk and I the bottom. Because I am only 5 ft 4 we put the 2 carry ons at the foot of my bed at night and I was just fine. During the day they fit on the steps leading up to the top bunk. Now we can afford the bedroom and it is of course better. there is more space and we can share the bottom bunk as it is bigger than the roomette. We are older and it's too hard climbing up to the upper one. Having a private shower and toilet is great too. We can both get dressed at the same time while in the roomette I would stay in my berth while he dressed and then he went out to give me room. I think it all depends on your comfort level and how big each of you is and what your demands are. But to me roomette is far better than coach.One hint..if you share a bunk in the bedroom ask for separate top sheets and blankets. It is a lot more comfortable,
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LadyTexas - welcome to this forum!! GET A BEDROOM!!!!!!!!! For 2 people, they are MUCH more comfortable than a roomette, although yes, you can fit 2 of you in the roomette. Concerning baggage storage, the Empire Builder is a bi-level Superliner train, and there will be large luggage storage racks on the lower level of your sleeper car by the door. You can of course usually find a spot in your room, be it a bedroom or a roomette, to put a couple small bags.

Enjoy your trip!! The "upgraded" Empire Builder is now one of AMTRAK's best LD trains!

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyTexas
Member # 4427

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for LadyTexas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you so much, train lady and RRRICH, for the welcome and the helpful information. I'll read your posts to hubby tonight and see what he thinks. I think the trip would be great fun either way, but I'm hoping for the bedroom. I'm wondering if I should book now or wait until later. Do you know if that trip usually fills up late October or first of November? Thanks!
Posts: 10 | From: Texas | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Lady Texas, one final word...if you can afford it get a bedroom. It really is superior to anything else. Also temember this is not a 5 hour flight. It's a fairly long trip . Since there are only 5 bedrooms and this is a popular route I would advise booking as soon as possible.I always book as far ahead as possible for the west because There are a lot of tours going west and they fill up the rooms quickly. Good luck and enjoy.
chaslett
Member # 1012

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for chaslett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I travel by train. My husband travels by airplane. I just leave a few days before he does!!! If he ever travels with me, I will get a bedroom. A roomette would too crowded.
I have read many discussion on this forum about pricing, I still don't get it. But I book my sleeper as soon as I know the my dates of travel. I don't want to take a the chance of it being sold out.

Posts: 54 | From: Chagrin Falls, OH, USA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by train lady:
All the replies to this post remind me of a song popular in the 1940s, To Each His Own. The best way to decide which level and room type is best is to try them all and decide which is best for you. Good luck!!!

And if I may add my own....

If you can afford a bedroom, by all means do so. If you can't, a roomette is quite pleasant, but many people are surprised at how small they are when they first see one. However, roomettes are quite cozy and comfortable during the day. At night they can be pretty tight, having very little floor space (about the size of a large meat platter), with the beds deployed.

As for upper and lower levels, some say the ride is better downstairs. On one trip a couple years ago we took upper northbound and lower southbound. In practice we found no appreciable difference in ride comfort. The main advantage with upstairs is the better view. The main advantage downstairs is more privacy and less foot traffic outside the door. Downstairs you can also go to the vestibule and look out both sides if what you want to see is on the other side from your roomette. I have a slight preference for lower level rooms, but it is very slight, so nowdays I just take the luck of the draw.

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyTexas
Member # 4427

Rate Member
Thanks to all for your information and your preferences. You have helped greatly. Hubby says "book the bedroom"!!! We plan to settle on at least a couple of travel dates for the Empire Builder around the end of October--first part of November and hope to book it this weekend. One question I have not seen the answer to is tipping. Do you tip your attendant at the end of trip as on a cruise or daily? And how much? Do you tip the waitperson at each meal? Thanks again!!
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
tip the waitperson as you would in a restaurant. Some tip the car attendent before others at the end. We wait until the trip is almost over. Usually we figure $5 per person per night. If the service is above and beyond the call of duty we tip more and if it's poor..less. We have seldom had less. Last year coming back from Denver I was sick with a horrid cough. The attendents on both the Zepher and the Capitol hovered over me like mother hens. They brought our meals to our room and were so concerned. We gave them very healthy tips.
box297
Member # 4343

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for box297     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
if you do like i did, and travel your first overnight in coach, the roomette will seem like a luxury suite!
Posts: 3 | From: phila, pa | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We usually tip sleeper attendants $5-10 per room per night, depending on the quality of service. We tip at or near the end of our journey. IMHO a tip needs to be earned.

As for dining car servers, you can tip a percentage of the meal's value, as in a restaurant. But for simplicity's sake, it is also common to tip a flat $2 per person for breakfast and lunch, and $3 for dinner. It works out about the same, but saves fumbling with change.

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyTexas
Member # 4427

Rate Member
Thanks for the advice on tipping. I'm so excited thinking about this trip. Wish we could afford to take it in the summer months with the long days to view the scenery, but I'm sure we'll have a great time and I'm partial to cool weather anyway.
LadyTexas
Member # 4427

Rate Member
Well, our Empire Builder trip from Chicago to Portland is booked and we are both excited. We have BedRoom D--Car 2730. Is this upper level? Does anyone know about how many cars this train usually has in November? Except for a train trip from Dallas to San Antonio many years ago, we are totally green about Amtrak travel. I really appreciate all of you being so helpful. Thanks.
LadyTexas
Member # 4427

Rate Member
P.S. Does anyone know if our Room D would be on the North or South side of the train? Thanks.
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
There is simply no way to predict which side, Engineer or Fireman, a given accomodation will face on any given train. The only comment I can make is that if the car is positioned "A end forward", all Bedrooms will face the Fireman's side and "D" will be rear riding (sit on the sofa and you will ride backwards with the window over your right shoulder).

But then, the car could be placed in consist with "B end forward" and all of the above will be reversed.

train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
all the bedrooms are on the upper level.
all the times we have traveled when we got to the top of the steps we had to turn left to get to our room. which direction that is I have no idea as I don't really care. Perhaps Mr. Norman can tell you. He is more knowledgeble than I on that subject. A hint...take a couple of very large safety pins in your bag. The old diaper pin size. I have found that often the curtains simply dont close all the way or keep popping open (on the window). I just pin them shut. Also if you have room slip a small pants hanger and 2 plastic hangers in your case. It's a lot easier having those to hang up your clothes at night. Oh yes, I always carry a small flashlight in my purse. It has come in very handy many times. I hope these help.

TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although the Oct/Nov shortened days will mean you will not see Glacier westbound in daylight, the view out the south/left side of the train in the Columbia River Gorge on the last day is outstanding. With a bedroom, the door has a window and you can see out both sides of the train, but only enough to see what you are missing. Go to the dome lounge.

The dome lounge goes to Portland and the diner goes to Seattle. Your cold breakfast on the last day is served to you in your room. This is good. Not only is it a good breakfast, but you have the lounge car to see the most spectacular part of the trip. One engine, the dome, and 1 or 2 coaches and sleepers (in that order) are broken off the full train at Spokane to go to Portland. If you stand on your tip-toes in the front of the dome, you can see ahead of the train as it rushes through the tunnels of the gorge (and it does go fast). The diesel fumes are the only drawback. Get into the lounge car for the view as early as you can for the scenery on your last day.

Are you going round trip? You can catch Glacier eastbound by daylight early on the first morning. Either side is fine.

You will be traveling during a light travel period, and the train will be relatively empty. The trip up the Mississippi is scenic, but the vastness of North Dakota and most of Montana can get old and boring on your first full day.

The full train from Chicago will have a Seattle section behind the 2 or 3 engines (1 or 2 Seattle sleepers, the diner, and 2-3 Seattle coaches) followed by Portland section. If you are lucky and there are no freight cars on the end, you may get a sleeper on the end of the train and you can look down the tracks behind you. Since this is a low travel period, the number of cars may tend toward the low side.

There are long trestles just out of Minot and Cut Bank where you cross deep valleys the look like you are flying over them.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyTexas
Member # 4427

Rate Member
Thanks for all the good hints and info. I'm printing some posts to keep with my travel papers so I won't forget anything. We are only going one way and will fly home from Portland. We asked a widower friend of ours, who travels a lot with us, if he wanted to come along and I have him booked too. He wanted a bedroom because of the toilet and shower and his bedroom is C and ours is D in the same car. At least I know there won't be any loud noise from his side. lol I got a great airfare from Dallas to Midway. Can anyone tell me how to get from there to the station? Thanks.
CHI_Amtrak_Fan
Member # 4004

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CHI_Amtrak_Fan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LadyTexas,

If your friend is also travelling in a bedroom please consider that Rooms E & D and C & B can be joined together to create a "Bedroom Suite". You will have to call back 800-USA-RAIL and they might be able to change the rooms to be adjoining and make the reservation to be a "Bedroom Suite" This way the movable partition between the two rooms will be open and you and your friend will enjoy more shared room and time together.

From Midway follow the signs from baggage claim to the CTA Orange Line. Take the Orange line all the way into downtown and get off at Quincy. Walk three blocks west along Adams and you'll be at Union Station. Along your walk you will be on the sidewalk of the tallest building in America (Hint: Sears Tower). The ride will cost $2.00 per person and takes about 35-45 minutes. The Orange line is safe and quick. I highly recommend it.

Have a great time on the Empire Builder. Please check out my pictures at: My Rail Pictures

Cheers,
David Z
Chicago, IL

Posts: 39 | From: Chicago | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyTexas
Member # 4427

Rate Member
Thank you so much for the info on how to get from Midway to Union Station. I'll add that to my travel papers. I may check into changing our rooms to make a suite. Will ask the old boys what they would like to do. Thank you so much for sharing the wonderful pictures. Not only are they beautiful, they are extremely helpful to new travelers. I really appreciated the train car layouts. I was having a hard time picturing what the different cars would look like. Now, I won't feel like such a greenhorn when we board.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page