RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Maybe I didn't see this correctly.

Author Topic: Maybe I didn't see this correctly.
gp35
Member # 3971

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gp35     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The news did a story on the NEC power outage. I saw a diesel-electric engine(maybe gp40) behind a Electric engine on point of Amtrak train. I didnt know Electric and diesel electric can run together. Or did I see it wrong?
Posts: 562 | From: Beaumont Texas | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What did you note, Mr. GP-35?

If you noted a diesel locomotive pulling an electric and a train, that is quite plausible. Diesels were used during the incident to remove trains from both the tunnels under the Hudson River in New York and from the Baltimore tunnels as well.

The new MP-15 diesel locomotives Amtrak acquired last year were designed to operate into the Hudson River tunnels for just such rescue missions.

Additionally, from reviewing material posted elsewhere, it appears that diesel locomotives were used to move other trains to the nearest station so that passengers could be detrained.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gp35
Member # 3971

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gp35     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, I saw the diesel between the coaches and the electric engine.
Posts: 562 | From: Beaumont Texas | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You saw two separate trains, nose to nose -- a diesel-powered New Jersey Transit commuter train attempting to push a disabled electric-powered NJT train, which remained stranded for over three hours as its passengers took turns standing at the open doors to catch a breath of fresh air. In typical fashion, several local TV stations filled hours of morning airtime with a static helicopter shot of the two motionless trains, as various "experts" provided running commentary.

Reporter: "Any idea when the trains will be running again?"

Expert: "As soon as the power comes back on."

Kind of like watching and listening to paint dry.

------------------------------------

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric R.
Member # 4123

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric R.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amtrak seemed characteristically quiet in its response to press throughout the incident. Granted, there wasn't much they could do to remedy the situation once it began, but from what I've heard, train crews did not communicate well with passengers, and the company was not very transparent about the source of the outage with newsmedia. (Poor updates on the company's website are one indication of its inability to deal proactively with newsmedia.) This prompted Sen. Schumer to criticize the railroad's management--in essence, he said that the response was "incompetent." It's particularly important that the outage occurred just before the appropriations process for Amtrak began. I'm not really sure how to assess it's impact on funding. On one hand, it underscores the need for capital investment. On the other, it doesn't cast a very favorable light on the organization that will receive the subsidies, as it certainly did not get positive reviews for its seemingly passive response to the outage.
Posts: 17 | From: Baltimore, MD | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gp35
Member # 3971

Rate Member
NOOOOO, that 2 different trains is not what I saw.
The diesel was connected to the passager coaches. The electrain engine was connected to the diesel. The diesel was second behind the electric engine.

RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AOL news made the NEC incident sound like it was 100% AMTRAK's fault that there was a power outage, and that if AMTRAK were "privatized," things like that wouldn't happen. (of course, not one wink of blame is put on the commuter agencies like NJT and MARC.....) AOL news also mentioned about how much money AMTRAK has "lost" this year and ever since 1971, and about how it is so heavily government-subsidized and so poorly managed, etc., etc., etc.

Gee, if weather conditions cancel hundreds and hundreds of airline flights on a certain day, no one blinks an eye, yet if there is a NEC power outage which impacts AMTRAK, then you sure hear about that and how AMTRAK is so "poorly managed," don't you?.......

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric R.
Member # 4123

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric R.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, MARC, NJT, and other commuter agencies do not run the infrastructure. The facilities that were hit were all Amtrak owned and operated, so this is the corporation's liability. And it wouldn't be inappropriate to address management of the compant historically, which has been bad--as well as the comany's ability to respond to emergencies, which yesterday proved was fair, though not stellar.
Posts: 17 | From: Baltimore, MD | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With reference to May 25, let the finger pointing begin.
Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page