RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Long Distance Trip - Price comparison

Author Topic: Long Distance Trip - Price comparison
AHALL
Member # 3515

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AHALL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am two weeks away from our train trip on the Capitol Ltd. and California Zephyr to SAC. I booked the trip for my son and I on March 20, and I wondered what has happened to the price.

As of today, the entire trip with sleepers on all legs of the trip costs only $ 23 more than in March, and all accommodations except the Family Bedroom are available.

Both the Capitol Ltd. and CZ show freight congestion and trackwork slowdown advisories on the Amtrak web site in the booking process.

Beginning June 1, I am checking on-time performance on all arrival legs of the trip, and all I can say is to "enjoy the journey." We are staying two days in Chicago on the return to avoid trying to make a CZ to Capitol connection, but are doing a same day connection from the Capitol to CZ in Chicago, which seems to work based on my on-time performance checking and the 5:20 minute times between those trains.

We'll see how it all goes and can report that both passengers are excited, especially the one who will have just completed SAT and ACT tests before the trip! And yes, we use Roomette accommodations and have a great time watching the scenery, playing games, and just talking. For the first time ever, we will have a scanner on this trip.

Wish us well!

Posts: 76 | From: Steubenville, OH | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have a wonderful trip!! We have done tht route a number of times and neer grow tired of the scenery. Give us a report when you return
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chaslett
Member # 1012

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for chaslett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I ride the Capitol/CZ round trip several times a year. One never tires of the scenery.
Have a great time!!

Posts: 54 | From: Chagrin Falls, OH, USA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TALKrr
Member # 683

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TALKrr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have a great trip. My son and I returned from a trip around the couintry in ear;y May and had a wondertime. We returned from Emeryville on the Zephyr also.

It was a smart idea not to try and connect same day from the Zephyr to the Capitol in Chicago, however. The connection is really a "hit and miss."

We chose to fly back from Chicago to Pittsburgh because we did not like the idea of arriving into Pittsburgh at 4:00 AM.

I never tire of the spectacular scenery on the Zephyr.

Posts: 187 | From: Pittsburgh , PA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Allow me to use this topic as a venue to share an upcoming Amtrak trip - my first since Feb '05 and of course my first with "simplified dining service".

The itinerary is CHI-30(8)-WAS-88(10)-STM-171(13)-NYP-49(13)-CHI, and was booked only this past Sunday. Previously I had intended to use auto because of a now obviated committment for which I could not rely upon an Amtrak LD arrival.

Even booked "last minute" (well, by my standards) the rate, along with rental autos @ Wash and Stamford, is quite competitive (more but not very much) with auto. This considers gas 27 mpg (Toyota products are not exactly Hummers) @ $3.25 ga, tolls $60 (you West Coast types around here say WAZZOSE), two en route hotels at $125 each (sorry, grabbing a few winks at a truck stop is not this 65 year old's style), and an $.18.mi maintenance allowance.

Of course, two bottles @ $20/ea to guzzle en route in room are offset by that, at one destination hotel, the rental auto will go in back for free parking; "my baby" would have been entrusted to the valet - also @ $20/da.

Posts: 9979 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page