RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » McCormick Center Area Hotels

Author Topic: McCormick Center Area Hotels
Charles Reuben
Member # 2263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles Reuben   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Guys,

I'm hoping to attend a graphics arts conference in Chicago in October and I'm trying to find a reasonably priced hotel with some class. When I say class, I guess I mean that it has some sort of railroad history to it.

Although I grew up in Chicago, I must confess that I don't know much about the McCormick Place, except that its former building burned down when I was a kid.

The hotel must have easy access to Union Station, Ogelvie Transportation Station (Old Chicago Northwestern) and some sort of way to get to the McCormick place, aside from cab (read: Elevated train?!)

I have never been sent to a conference before so I'm very excited about this. My boss seems supportive but he said that he never remembers having sent anybody to a conference before on Amtrak.

As you know, I cannot fly and even if I could, I would not.

Thanks for your suggestions,

Chuck

--------------------
Please visit "Chucksville" at http://www.chucksville.com and sign my guestbook!

Posts: 324 | From: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vicki
Member # 3410

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vicki     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Metra Rail: You can get to McCormick Place easily using Metra. The Metra Electric Line runs to McCormick Place, and stops at stations on Michigan Ave. at Randolph/South Water St. and Jackson/Van Buren. Tickets are $1.85 each way. The McCormick Place station is located in the McCormick Place North Building. Be sure to purchase your ticket before boarding the train.

To McCormick Place: Monday - Saturday, Metra trains going to McCormick Place depart the Randolph/S. Water St. Station at approx. 20 after the hour (trains run more often during rush hours). These trains will stop at the Van Buren stop a few minutes later, and arrive at McCormick Place 7 minutes after departing the Randolph station. Be sure to check the train schedule or ask the conductor - not all trains stop at McCormick Place. On Sundays, trains depart from Randolph approx. every two hours.

From McCormick Place: Monday - Saturday, Metra trains stop at the McCormick Place station approx. 51 minutes after the hour most of the day (more often during rush hours). Sundays, trains depart McCormick Place approx. every two hours. All trains that stop at McCormick Place stop at both the Randolph and Van Buren stations.

For more information, maps and schedules, visit www.metrarail.com

Ogilvie Transportation Center (formerly North Western Station)
500 W Madison St
Chicago, IL 60661
(312) 322-6777
Cross Street: Between Monroe and Madison
Directions: El: Green Line Clinton; bus lines: 14, 20, 56, 60, 157

For hotels in the Loop, I have usually had good luck with Priceline.

Posts: 149 | From: Joliet, IL USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charles Reuben
Member # 2263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles Reuben   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the great information, Vicki. This will be very helpful.

I've been looking at hotel prices and they seem kind of steep. Since I want to be certain my bosses approve my travel arrangements, I'm trying to act somewhat conservatively.

The Palmer House may be pushing it in terms of money, but the Congress Plaza Hotel looks promising, at $149/night.

There's another place that looks very affordable but may be a dump: "The Cass Hotel Chicago" at $90/night. Great location. How can they say no to that price?

Any recommendations from you savvy travellers for a budget-minded white boy who grew up in the insulated suburbs of the North Shore would be greatly appreciated.

Forget the southside. I want to be a few blocks from the lake!

--------------------

Posts: 324 | From: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vicki
Member # 3410

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vicki     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You should be able to pick up something with Priceline for around $50. We usually end up with the Palmer House or the Hyatt, sometimes Hilton. You'll want to bid Loop/Grant Park zone.
Posts: 149 | From: Joliet, IL USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doveman
Member # 4310

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for doveman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You most certainly can't get the Hilton or a Hyatt in the loop for $50 on Priceline but you can get them for 85-110. I got the Renaissance
on the loop for $85 on Priceline. Biddingfortravel.com is a good site for preparing to bid on Priceline. Chicago hotels downtown are extremely high and it is a great way to save up to 75%.

Posts: 15 | From: Tulsa | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Charles - please note that the Metra Electric Line runs from "Millenium Station" to McCormick Place, not from Ogilvie, as Vicki may have alluded. I believe the Millenium Station is the old IC commuter station, which is located somewhere around the old Prudential Building (which was the tallest building in Chicago when I was a kid and also living in the area!!)

You could take a taxi from Union Station to Millenium Station -- I assume you will be traveling to Chicago on the SWC from Albuquerque?

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charles Reuben
Member # 2263

Rate Member
Yes, RRRich, I will be taking the SWC from Albuquerque to Chicago and I just can't wait to climb aboard.

Millenium Station? Never heard of it. The only reason I mentioned Ogilvie is because, after the conference, I plan to spend about five days in Highland Park and it would be nice to have my motel within walking distance.

I dearly love the Prudential Building as well as all the historic sites downtown. I'm looking forward to taking the architectural river tour along the Chicago River this time around.

I'm glad you mentioned Millenium Station. I was sure that there was something tricky about the commuter connection between the loop and the McCormick Place (and places like the Museum of Science and Industries).

As far as Priceline is concerned, I will definitely check it out. I've never bought anything on Priceline before so I suppose this is going to be an adventure.

Thanks to everybody who put their two cents in. I rarely ask for help from you guys, but you've really given me a lot to think about. If anybody else wants to chime in, please do.

I may have grown up outside of Chicago, but I can't tell you what a thrill it is to visit it now that I live out here in the desert. That's one heluva town Chicago is: My kind of town.

--------------------

Vicki
Member # 3410

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by doveman:
You most certainly can't get the Hilton or a Hyatt in the loop for $50 on Priceline but you can get them for 85-110.

Actually, it is possible to get a Loop hotel for $50, and sometimes even less. I have seen the Hyatt Regency Millennium Park on Priceline winning bids for as low as $42. And I have gotten the Palmer House for less than $60 on more than one occassion, so I know it does happen.
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Give Priceline a try. You'll get far more hotel bang for your buck.

Start out by bidding $60 for a 3* hotel in the "Millennium Park/Loop/Grant Park" Zone. Ignore the screen message that suggests you're unlikely to get a room at that price. No luck anyway? Change the Zone to "NMA/River North." Still no luck? Change your bid to a 2.5* hotel (still at $60) and separately try the two Zones again.

If you don't hit the jackpot, repeat the procedure in 72 hours, upping your bid by $5. Keep trying, upping the amount each time. Remember that when you're finally successful, you've paid in advance, and no cancellations are allowed. Print out the confirmation and take it with you. Also phone the front desk of the actual hotel well in advance, just to double check that your reservation is in their database.

There are also more "creative" bidding strategies too complex to go into here. Visit the independent site, www.biddingfortravel.com for a full explanation in exhaustive detail.

(for the record, I never bid higher than a 2.5* or 3* and have gotten the Hyatt for as low as $55 and the Tremont for $45; the time of year and the number of conventions in town can seriously impact how well you'll actually do)

P.S. I once stayed at the Cass, years ago. Unless they've gut-renovated the place, it's a shithole.

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Somehow, Mr. Reuben, I don't think your boss expects you to be bothered with all this travelsite bidding nonsense set forth here. While that does not mean the Four Seasons and Peninsula are fair game, I'm certain any commercial level hotel is.

Most of the "economercial' brands, such as Courtyard and Hampton have properties in the River North area with weekday rates in the $175 range; I'm sure that is all your boss expects.

I know, based upon your reports here at the Forum, you are accustomed to "doing things on the cheap' (this probably means Coach on the Chief as I think that is how you prefer to travel - price notwithstanding), but, your'e traveling on business and on the boss' nickel. While that hardly grants a license to 'go apeo', it does mean reasonable comforts to ensure you are 'fit for duty' to accomplish the business purpose.

RELATED DISCUSSION

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trainut
Member # 4052

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Trainut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried to get on the site (www.biddingfortravel.com) and got the window saying "could not be found" Do you have another address for that site? Thanks Trainut
Posts: 39 | From: Saint Croix Falls | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vicki
Member # 3410

Member Rated:
I just copied and pasted from your post and it took me right there.
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A comma crept into the original url. Sorry. I've removed it, so the link should work now.
Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charles Reuben
Member # 2263

Rate Member
And the winner is:

The Congress Plaza Hotel

http://congressplazahotel.reachlocal.net/

--------------------

Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Dilly, I found your post informative and useful even if Mr. Norman sneers at it.

In a similar vein, it is worth pointing out that both on airline booking sites, and on Amtrak (as per a posting a while ago), it is worth manually entering "via" points in order to get a price on seperate tickets rather than a straight through if you know there are no direct flights/trains. Oddly enough, it can *sometimes* be cheaper even if the original quote was via the same airport/station on the same flights/trains! You ought to phone the airline and ask them to link the two PNRs to guarantee a connnection.

Geoff M.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page