RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Information / City of New Orleans

Author Topic: Information / City of New Orleans
Trainut
Member # 4052

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Trainut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will be taking the City from CHI to NOL (sleeper) on the 26th of this month. Does any one know what the "New Food Service" is, what the hours are and what have they changed the diner if anything?
Thanks, Trainut

Posts: 39 | From: Saint Croix Falls | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lot's of posts about the new food service to be found. A good read would be Chris Guenzler's April 2006 trip report.

Essentially, the meal service has been changed to food that is prepared off the train, brought on-board, and reheated. The number of meal choices has been reduced and some things, such as steak, are not available at all having been replaced by some sort of beef stew kind of option. Meals are served on plastic plates which simulate railroad china. In doing this Amtrak has been able to slash dining car staffing to 1 chef (for warming the food) and 2 servers.

The quality and quantity of the meal portions has diminished although we're now beginning to get reports that the simplified meals are beginning to improve and are 'better than expected' (though no one has said "better than before" yet.) The dinner meal seems to be the most changed, lunch the least.

Meal hours are pretty much about the same but there may be some experimenting with reservation times going on from train to train.

Let us know what you experience on your trip!

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As far as I noticed in my experiences, the quantity of the meal portions has not diminished; the quantity of SELECTIONS has diminished.
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.trainweb.org/chris/swgone.html

that Link will take you right to my story.

Chris

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page