RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » "Priority" boarding for Business Class

Author Topic: "Priority" boarding for Business Class
TALKrr
Member # 683

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TALKrr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If a train offers only Coach or Business-Class seating , Amtrak should offer "priority" boarding to its Business Class passengers. After-all, the cost of the ticket is higher.

This is just an extra amenity that would not cost Amtrak anything , yet might please the Business-Class passengers a great deal.

A few months ago I took the Pennsylvanian between Pittsburgh and Philadelphia---Business Class. There was no "priority" boarding either way. It was not so much of a problem in Pittsburgh , where the train originated. But in Philadelphia , there was a line "a mile long" waiting to board. When I approached an Amtrak "rep" by the stair-well related to priority boarding for Business-Class passengers, he rudely replied , "Of course not" !!"---Only first-class." !!

Why NOT Business-Class ?

Posts: 187 | From: Pittsburgh , PA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was priority boarding of 88(10) @ WAS; the Gateman simply called "anyone holding Business Class may board now'.

It appears, Mr. Talk, that practices vary with each station; possibly even between the several Gatemen.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They Did The same thing In San Diego Yesterday, something I've never seen them do

--------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

My MySpace

CoastStarlight@Gmail.com

Amtrak Pages WebSite

Posts: 989 | From: DIAMOND BAR CA. U.S. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rtabern
Member # 4306

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rtabern   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know in Chicago, the business class people for the Midwest trains are allowed to get on first.

I am a history buff and several times a year I will take the Ann Rutledge between Chicago and Springfield, IL to see the Lincoln Sites or the Route 66 Festival held in September.

For the Ann Rutledge (#303/323) which departs at 8:15 a.m., they will get on the PA around 7:45 a.m. and announce that any business class passengers and seniors should come to the front of the line. Once you do, they take you to a special seating area on the other side of the partition where you wait about 5 minutes and then they let you board. Once the business class people are aboard, they call seniors, then finally around 8:00 a.m. they will let coach passenegers get on the train.

During the winter when I go, I usually just go coach because January-March there are not a lot of people on that route and they use Superliner equipment which is much nicer (I think) than the single-level coaches they use during the rest of the year. But when I go in the summer, I always go business class. It's simply worth $13 more to advoid the long line and people pushing to get on in Chicago, the free soda, and much more comfortable seating.

In Chicago, they give priority boarding also for the trains that go to Michigan (the Wolverine service).

But yeah, I noticed in California there is no advanced boarding for the business class folks.
But at least you have the option of getting free wine (instead of just soda) on the Surfliners!

Posts: 100 | From: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page