RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Train #1 hits all time record!

Author Topic: Train #1 hits all time record!
SunsetLtd
Member # 3985

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SunsetLtd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
#1 hit the record today for hitting ANOTHER car. And you can bet 16 hours late into LA on Wednesday. This has got the 5th car this month this train has hit. I'm thinking they should put bars all around the crossing gates at every grade crossing NOL-HOS. Some people just make stupid choices and end up suffering the consequences!

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Amsunset

www.facebook.com/kevinschillinger

Posts: 250 | From: Texas State University-San Marcos, Texas (Hometown El Paso, TX) | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow!

--------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

My MySpace

CoastStarlight@Gmail.com

Amtrak Pages WebSite

Posts: 989 | From: DIAMOND BAR CA. U.S. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rY.
Member # 3528

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rY.   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Based on information unofficially "gathered" by a very sleepy yours-truly aboard a late-to-depart San Joaquin #711(17) this past Saturday, the Sunset arrived into Los Angeles somewhere around 2:30am -- they held us in Bakersfield for about 45 minutes so that Northbound passengers could be bussed to connect with us.

No information was available as to the cause, though it is doubtful I would have been awake enough to remember.. [Wink]

Posts: 108 | From: Culver City, CA, US | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although I believe adequate detail has been provided in Mr. Schillinger (Sunset Ltd) originating message to convey meaning, may I share with the Forum that on the railroad, a CAR is a vehicle the runs atop rails and carries lading, including passengers.

A highway vehicle that primarily carries passengers is referred to as an AUTOMOBILE or auto.

While not really an issue with the originating report, some could well simply post in entirety 'Sunset hits a car'; such a posting could leave me quite confused.

Just a thought other than this final note if I may. How about reviewing this NTSB accident report of a grade xing incident - note the abundance of the term "car" (it is inexplicably used once).

http://www.ntsb.gov/publictn/2003/RAB0307.htm .

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SunsetLtd
Member # 3985

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SunsetLtd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most people when they say car they mean automobile not a railcar. Now if I said it hit a railcar that would be something different. Most people I talk to refer to a car that runs on the rails as a railcar and an automobile just as a car.

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Amsunset

Posts: 250 | From: Texas State University-San Marcos, Texas (Hometown El Paso, TX) | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rY.
Member # 3528

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rY.   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, *I* thought he meant that the Sunset had hit a copy of Eagles: Their Greatest Hits 1971-1975, since that is currently the top selling record album of all time. [Wink]
Posts: 108 | From: Culver City, CA, US | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even with cultural differences, it is immediately obvious from the context what type of "car" it is. No need to be so picky - we do have brains.

Geoff M.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gp35
Member # 3971

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gp35     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:
quote:
Originally posted by SunsetLtd:
#1 hit the record today for hitting ANOTHER car. And you can bet 16 hours late into LA on Wednesday. This has got the 5th car this month this train has hit. I'm thinking they should put bars all around the crossing gates at every grade crossing NOL-HOS. Some people just make stupid choices and end up suffering the consequences!

Although you have provided adequate detail in this posting to establish meaning, Mr. Sunset (Shillinger), please be advised that on the railroad, a CAR is a vehicle the runs atop rails and carries lading, including passengers.

A highway vehicle that primarily carries passengers is referred to as an AUTOMOBILE or auto.

While not really an issue with your report, some here could well simply post in entirety 'Sunset hits a car'; such a posting could leave me quite confused.

Just a thought.

LOL...You remind me of Captain Peacock on that old British comedy "Are You Being Served"
Posts: 562 | From: Beaumont Texas | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Before this goes rapidly downhill any further, may I suggest:
1. Mr. Norman to apologise for being patronising
2. SunsetLtd to apologise for talk of noses
3. For everybody to stop this one-up-manship and return to talking trains in a ageless, genderless, and raceless environment.

Geoff M.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OKAY YOU TWO!!!! ENOUGH!!!!!!!!

Actually, I wanted to comment on rY.'s posting - I had to think about that for a minute, then I looked again at the title of this thread. That was good, rY.! LOL!!!

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

That's interesting (and funny). I thought it was Thriller but Googling for it yields several sites saying Eagles and several more saying Michael Jackson. But there is no *official* worldwide count of albums sold so I guess it'll be debatable.

Geoff M.

BTW, glad to see you two appear to have at least seen sense and stopped the spat, even if neither felt the urge to apologise.

--------------------
Geoff M.

SunsetLtd
Member # 3985

Member Rated:
I'll come out and apologize. Sorry Mr. Norman for talk of noses. Now hopefully Mr. Norman will have the urge tp apologize too.

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Amsunset

Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm... Car = Vehicle that runs atop the rails.

So that's why the old Santa Fe crossbucks say "Look out for the cars"....thanks Norman.

--------------------
Matt
Visit gallery for photos of our train layouts

Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rY.
Member # 3528

Member Rated:
Hey, I heard the Sunset Limited was delayed last week... [Roll Eyes]
SunsetLtd
Member # 3985

Member Rated:
It is delayed every week, but what else is new? [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Amsunset

gp35
Member # 3971

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gp35     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Mr GP-35 will hopefully withdraw his message 1022A Jun 20 in its entirety.

Whaaaaaaaat? Mr Peacock was a straight pimp working in a department store...???...hmmmm. Ok I apologize.
Posts: 562 | From: Beaumont Texas | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gp35
Member # 3971

Rate Member
Texas raised the speed limit to 80 mph in West Texas. That means we could legally drive 90 mph. Amtrak should follow the lead.
SunsetLtd
Member # 3985

Member Rated:
They did? When [Eek!] ?? I didn't hear anything! Maybe UP can take a hint and upgrade the track here. But we don't want a reaplay of what killed the Starlight.

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Amsunset

George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amtrak can not legally go more than 79.9 mph without addition of ATS, cab signals, or other such high cost signal devices. The passenger train speed limit on this line is already 79 mph. This limit is by FRA regulation, so neither the state of Texas or Union Pacific can raise the speed limit unless someone is ready come up with the money for the signal upgrades. At this point, UP is much more sensibly putting its cash into adding a second main, segmetn by segment.

This would be a great time for the states of Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and California to say to UP, "we would like to get more trucks off the road, so we will fund completion of a 2nd track from LA to Houston and some line straightening throughout, and you can pay us back over the next 20 years out of your operational savings. A little third main on some of the long grades would be nice as well. It coudl be done, too.

George

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
**Message edited:**

As far as I'm concerned Mr. Schillinger, 'we're cool'.

Lastly, a word about myself. If one has not yet surminsed, I am very formal (it is how I was raised - it is how most any organization with which I have had any association over the years has been structured) and I have a ZERO sense of humor (any comedy, even Britcom, is a complete turn off). At age 65, I'm not about to change, even though I should be more empathetic that most here are much younger than myself AND have "senses of humor"!!!

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zephyr
Member # 1651

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zephyr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quote GBN: "At age 65, I'm not about to change..."

Please don't, Mr. Norman. You're one of my favorite posters hereabouts. Bet that's a feeling shared by many others.

But your statement about having "ZERO sense of humor?" Some of your posts, laced with the Normanisms, have had me rolling in the ailes. Mean to tell me you're always dead serious? No sense of humor? Nah....You're just joking, right?

Posts: 445 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Mr. Norman and GP35, thanks. Your apologies are much appreciated and respected.

There is nothing wrong with being formal, nor is there anything wrong with having a sense of humour/humor. What IS the problem is how one comes across in text-based forums. Smileys help, in limited quantities, but there are some people who post without reading what they've just written. I'm talking generally here, not this forum nor any person in particular. I often re-word something to make it "emotion neutral" - as best I can, anyway.

Geoff M.

--------------------
Geoff M.

gp35
Member # 3971

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by George Harris:
Amtrak can not legally go more than 79.9 mph without addition of ATS, cab signals, or other such high cost signal devices. The passenger train speed limit on this line is already 79 mph. This limit is by FRA regulation, so neither the state of Texas or Union Pacific can raise the speed limit unless someone is ready come up with the money for the signal upgrades. At this point, UP is much more sensibly putting its cash into adding a second main, segmetn by segment.

This would be a great time for the states of Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and California to say to UP, "we would like to get more trucks off the road, so we will fund completion of a 2nd track from LA to Houston and some line straightening throughout, and you can pay us back over the next 20 years out of your operational savings. A little third main on some of the long grades would be nice as well. It coudl be done, too.

George

Now your talking my language. I will add the tracks in Orange need to be straighten or by pass the city all together.
gp35
Member # 3971

Rate Member
quote:
Apology noted with respect, Mr. GP; but why not go the next step and withdraw the message in its entirety as the message of mine quoted within has now been substantially edited. Your Jun 22 522P could then follow suit.

Oh Goodgrief. A Mr Peacock is a compliment. A Mr Peacock is a person very formal with little to no sense of humor. The same as you described yourself. What kind of sense does that make to get offended by someone saying you are the sameway you describe yourself.
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
for Pete's sake ( and the ret of us as well) you two could we agree that you are opposites,know how to push each others buttons,and seem to enjoy the verbal sparring? Or is this a case of "top dogitis"? Whatever, do you suppose you could continue this in private messages and let the rest of us get back to the forum subject..AMTRAk?
Btw, Mr. Norman, thanks for your explanation of your personality. It helps me understand you.

Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
addenda...before anyone asks ret is really rest. It simply lost it's s!
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Now your talking my language. I will add the tracks in Orange need to be straighten or by pass the city all together. [/QB]
I started to add Louisiana and say all the way to New Orleans. Really should have.

As to Orange: Believe it or not, there was a railroad relocation study done for Orange some 25 to 30 years age. In addition to several rather silly alternates, one took off straight from the 90+ degree curve north of Orange where the railroad changes, this is thinking from east to west, from going west to going due south to go into Orange. from this point it went straight to hook up with the KCS line and then followed it into Beaumont.

This is typical of a lot of things of this nature. It made to much sense to be allowed to live. Actually in the end the program to fund this and a few others was killed. The cause of death had more to do with the local politicians trying in all cases to 1. satisfy everybody, and 2. hang as much unrelated stuff on the program as they could get away with.

George

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pojon2
Member # 4048

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Pojon2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Enough already! What I really want to know is WHEN the Sunset Limited will again run eastward from New Orleans to Orlando, Florida? I want to use it again to go from Palatka, Florida to Pensacola, Tallahassee, etc.
Posts: 35 | From: Palatka, FL | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page