RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Emeryville to San Francisco, San Francisco to Oakland

Author Topic: Emeryville to San Francisco, San Francisco to Oakland
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can anyone give me info on the transfer from the Zephyr to the bus at Emeryville and arrival at San Francisco (Fisherman's Wharf)--is there a better side of the bus to sit on to see the bay view, etc? Should I have them store my luggage someplace? When I get to Fisherman's Wharf, if I stay at the Best Western Tuscan Inn, can I walk from the bus or should I take a taxi, esp if it's late? Note that I'll be coming in coach, not in a sleeper, on a Sunday.

Also, I have the same questions for leaving San Francisco (Fisherman's Wharf) on the bus to Oakland JLSq to catch (hopefully) the Coast Starlight (though I'll be taking a sleeper on that one--if it ever gets there!--and going on a weekday)

Thanks so much!!!

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Traveling to San Francisco, I would suggest "passenger", as distinct from "driver' side; better view of the city's skyline.

Ideally, the bus would use the Upper Level, but IIRC - haven't "been out" in quite a while - commercial traffic uses the Lower.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By passenger side, do you mean the righthand side facing forward? Thanks
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeeCT
Member # 3241

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeeCT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sojourner --

I did this trip in late Nov of 2004. When you get off the CZ it is just a walk to the front of the station where the buses are waiting. Luggage is stowed underneath (just like a Greyhound bus).
Getting off at Fishermans Wharf the Tuscan Inn is a two block walk. (Short blocks -- I have some mobility problems and walked it several times with ease.) I stayed at the Tuscan Inn when I was there. It is about 3 blocks from Pier 39 which is a fun place also.

Shortcut to: http://www.pier39.com/

The CZ was late the nite I arrived and the shuttle took all of us directly to our hotels and not the designated drop off points. (If you are late it might pay to ask.) The area is however quite safe and well lit. Lot of foot traffic due to the popularity of resturants and other food places. I do not recall much about sights coming over the bridge as it was midnite and not optimum viewing time.
The shuttle bus picks up several times during the day and makes the trip back to Emeryville. Pick one that allows for time (with a little cushion) to make the trip. (It is a fairly short ride.) By the way there was no food not even a coffee shop in the Emeryville station when I was there. (I seem to recall vending machines.)
While I was in San Francisco I took advantage of a couple of the day tours offered by Grayline.
http://www.grayline.com/franchise.cfm/action/details/id/23

Grayline picks up and drops off at the Tuscan (or at least they did when I was there.) The departure point for the tours is actually quite close nearby but pickup/dropoff was quite nice especially after a full day of seeing the sights.

Posts: 460 | From: North Central CT | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sojourner:
By passenger side, do you mean the righthand side facing forward? Thanks

Can't think of what else I have in mind, Ms. S.

Of interest, "Engineer side" and "Fireman Side' were accepted terms - well, at least when I was in the railroad industry (25+ ago).

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Thanks all for the info. I am keeping my fingers crossed my Zephyr won't be so late, Dee . . .
rY.
Member # 3528

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rY.   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:
Ideally, the bus would use the Upper Level, but IIRC - haven't "been out" in quite a while - commercial traffic uses the Lower.

Although it didn't operate this way when it opened, traffic on "The Bay Bridge" currently runs "inbound" (toward San Francisco) on the upper level and "outbound" (toward Oakland) on the lower level, regardless of traffic type or time of day. I believe the current flow model began after the tracks for the Key System were removed (1958?).
Posts: 108 | From: Culver City, CA, US | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rY.:
"The Bay Bridge" currently runs "inbound" (toward San Francisco) on the upper level and "outbound" (toward Oakland) on the lower level, regardless of traffic type or time of day. I believe the current flow model began after the tracks for the Key System were removed (1958?).

True.
Don't know when the trains stopped, but the removal of tracks was in process in July 1961, so the one way each deck began sometime after that. 1962?

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page