RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » So, how about those trainoff notices???

Author Topic: So, how about those trainoff notices???
PaulB
Member # 4258

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for PaulB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
BNSF 1088??????
Posts: 286 | From: Knee deep in the retention tank | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Beltway bureaucrats have gone home for the day (if any even showed for work today).
Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liberty Limited
Member # 4300

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Liberty Limited   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess he's busy slaying the dragons at this very moment, just as he did four months ago, when they called off the plan as a result of him.

Once again, it is strictly due to him that the day has been saved, at least for the interim, and the trains will continue to roll for now. How we must owe him our humble thanks.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have a trip from Chicago to Burlington to book - of course I'll book it the long way via the City of New Orleans to NO to the Sunset Limited to LA to the Southwest Chief back to CHI to the Empire Builder to PDX to the Coast Starlight to EMY to the California Zephyr to Burlington!

--------------------
History of Baltimore and Baltimore Transit - Visit http://www.btco.net !

Posts: 86 | From: Baltimore | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a trainoff notice for July 3rd.

Earlier today I was downstairs having a little fun with my N-scale layout. Once I got my model of the 1947 Southerner tied up at the depot, I reached under the benchwork and turned my TRAIN OFF.

I was home alone at the time and no one else seemed to NOTICE.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gp35
Member # 3971

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gp35     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
BNSF had a good laugh at our expense.
Posts: 562 | From: Beaumont Texas | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think BNSF 1088 had bad intentions; after all he is the director of two "Save our Trains" group. Regardless of his reputation though, I don't think its wise of him to start topics on forums stating train offs would occur without a doubt on multiple lines with absolutely no evidence to show.
Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PaulB
Member # 4258

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for PaulB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by notelvis:

Earlier today I was downstairs having a little fun with my N-scale layout. Once I got my model of the 1947 Southerner tied up at the depot, I reached under the benchwork and turned my TRAIN OFF.

WHAT A CRISIS! WE NEED MORE FEDERAL FUNDS SO YOU CAN RUN TRAINS 24/7!!!
Posts: 286 | From: Knee deep in the retention tank | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by PaulB:
quote:
Originally posted by notelvis:

WHAT A CRISIS! WE NEED MORE FEDERAL FUNDS SO YOU CAN RUN TRAINS 24/7!!!
And build more track. I've gotten to the point that every single one of my sidetracks is clogged. My 'time frame' is a generic anything 1945-60 so we've not even started to see all those twin stacks yet!

--------------------
David Pressley

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David, move your layout to a foreign country then you can get disaster relief immediately. ( and without short term loans)
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amtraxmaniac
Member # 2251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amtraxmaniac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Call me gullible and naive, but is this humor?!

--------------------
Patrick

Posts: 387 | From: Bakersfield, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rY.
Member # 3528

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rY.   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by amtraxmaniac:

Model trains. [Cool]
Posts: 108 | From: Culver City, CA, US | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
quote:

More sarcasm than humor perhaps.

One longtime poster had been predicting that Amtrak would post 180 day train-off notices for most (if not all) of the transcontinental trains on Monday, July 3. This did not happen and this post began as a calling out of that poster.

As one who earns a living, in part, trying to move past hostile confrontation, I jokingly put up the post about turning off the juice on my model railroad. I thought it offered ironic contrast.

To date there are no specific train off notices to be concerned about although I would say Amtrak's future, as always, is far from secure.

--------------------
David Pressley

Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, we've had our little amusement, but I think its time to put this one to rest. I, for one, welcome any and all civilized participants, including BNSF 1088. But this should be a lesson to all of us to qualify unverifiable statements as rumor or opinion rather than gospel truth. Its not difficult for anyone to get carried away on occasion. I've been guilty of it myself at various times during my Earthly experience.

--------------------
The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ken V
Member # 1466

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken V     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mr. Toy is right that it's time to put it to rest but, before we do, I would like to add something. I have been mildly familiar with Matt Marderosian(aka BNSF_1088) for about three years through various interactions related to another forum.

While I really didn't think the predicted 180 day notices would actually happen, I truly believe he did. He cares very strongly about Amtrak and railroad safety and he works tirelessly for these causes.

I don't know what the source of this particular story was or much about the Save Our Trains groups, but I'm sure Matt was sincere in his efforts.

--------------------
Any time could be train time!

Posts: 149 | From: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amtraxmaniac
Member # 2251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amtraxmaniac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The day they take away our LD trains is the day we become the laughing stock of the planet-we'd be the only developed country in the world without a national passenger railroad system! THAT WOULD NOT BE FUNNY! LOL-humor taken though.

--------------------
Patrick

Posts: 387 | From: Bakersfield, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The day they take away our LD trains is the day we become the laughing stock of the planet-we'd be the only developed country in the world without a national passenger railroad system! THAT WOULD NOT BE FUNNY! LOL-humor taken though.

WE have already been there with our last president. Well recall in 1998 taking a taxi from the airport in Singapore and being asked by the driver if I was an American. After that, all he said was, "your president" and then all but ran off the road laughing. It is not our trains or lack thereof, but some of the dolts we have on the national and international stage. At least with the present White House Occupant no one considers him a s e x mad buffoon.

George

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David
Member # 3

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for David     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by George Harris:
At least with the present White House Occupant no one considers him a s e x mad buffoon.

George

Indeed, just a "mad buffoon."
Posts: 216 | From: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well, at least our last president didn't turn our allies against us and make us the laughing stock because of his distinct lack of intellegence.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gp35
Member # 3971

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gp35     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by train lady:
well, at least our last president didn't turn our allies against us and make us the laughing stock because of his distinct lack of intellegence.

If you look at those allies economy, then compare it to the Bush economy, Bush looks like the intelligent leader with the last laugh.
Posts: 562 | From: Beaumont Texas | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
looks can be deceiving. And since this has nothing to do with this thread I suggest we get off the subject. After all people can argue politics forever and no one really changes his mind.
rY.
Member # 3528

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rY.   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*RERAILS POST*

soo...how about those trainoff notices?

Posts: 108 | From: Culver City, CA, US | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
well, at least our last president didn't turn our allies against us and make us the laughing stock because of his distinct lack of ntellegence.
And, Thank G o d our current President hasn't done that either.... well... except in the minds of the rabid morons...
Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vicki
Member # 3410

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vicki     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rY.:
*RERAILS POST*

soo...how about those trainoff notices?

C'mon guys. I'm forecasting some hurt feelings if the political sparring continues. [Smile]
Posts: 149 | From: Joliet, IL USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dfwguy
Member # 3082

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dfwguy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
well, at least our last president didn't turn our allies against us and make us the laughing stock because of his distinct lack of ntellegence.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
At least give W credit-where credit is due.
Iran is going Nuclear- N. Korea is shooting missles, Somalia is controlled by radical Islamist, Iraq isn't getting any better and Afghanistan is getting worse...we stopped looking for Osama - Average numbers of American's poorer now than ever before and getting worse..and we still have 2 years to endure under W.

Posts: 23 | From: dallas, tx USA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
You know Mr. Smith, one of the joys of living in a democracy is that everyone is able to express his opinion , No one has to agree with anyone else but it seems to me it should be done with out insulting those who have an opinion different from yours. Sensible people can agree to disagree and let it go. I think Matt has been given enough grief about his miscalculation. The time has come to let this thread end.
CHATTER
Member # 1185

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CHATTER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that we can. However, considering the stir that was caused, I do believe an apology/explanation is in order.
Posts: 255 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You are absolutely correct, Train Lady. "Reasonable" and "sensible" people can agree to disagree. I do it all the time.

Unreasonable/ridiculous people deserve to be ridiculed. Your statement bordered on the ridiculous. Obviously DFWguy is one of the ridiculous people.

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Mr. Smith, I have no intention of having a battle of wits with you. I never attack anyone who is unarmed.
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Boys, Girls..........

No talkie politics please.

I had a real zinger here which I posted for about 45 seconds and withdrew because it would have alienated several folks I enjoy talking about trains with. Suffice to say that I adamantly disagree with some of you.....and have been offended by a couple of you as well.

Politics are a snakepit and we're all the losers here.

--------------------
David Pressley

rY.
Member # 3528

Member Rated:
Still no trainoff notices....

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page